Bob Diaco on how to rebuild a program | The Boneyard

Bob Diaco on how to rebuild a program

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nice job Bill Connelly (whoever you are)...

I believe he writes for the Oklahoma SB Nation site. He has been doing team by team previews across the country. They are very good. On par with Myerberg.

Reaction Score
But... Ken says Diaco is in trouble with the media! This type of in depth article should be impossible!

To me, that was a dig at UCONN football along with HCBD.... If anything, his comment was more hurtful for the program than what coach is trying to do to get the program back in the right direction

Reaction Score
In reading all the other threads and posts (even your posts Scooter), I usually find the day passes more quickly....because it's all about UCONN....

I don't mind, have even enjoyed, the bunker /Belichik/Parcells approach used by HCBD as I haven't had to read a lot of crappola from local scribes and the uninformed. In Diaco I trust.....

IMHO, we are watching the start of one of the great coaches of our time and the biggest turnaround story in CFB for 2014. We witnessed JC. we witnessed Geno. we witnessed KO. HCBD is somebody very special. I feel myself very fortunate and blessed to be witnessing yet again and to be a part of it all with my season tix & all.....he get's it, he understands it. he understands us in the BY. I only pray that I live long enough to witness his career and long enough to say " I remember when....".

Reaction Score
Slightly OT but article relevant, this comment at the bottom of our section had me a bit more intrigued. We all knew about the new paint, new feel, protein bar, etc. at the facilities, but I was completely unaware of how much of a mess it was, at least according to this:

""The care and cleanliness of the facility. The locker room, the player lounge, the hallways, the traffic in the building. It had basically become a free-for-all. We had to raise the team's expectations and understanding of our expectations for how they treated things. We had to make a lot of changes for them in the building to help shine everything up so it became something respectable-looking again. Give the players things and present them in a first-class way and create a level of pride."

Just goes to show you that not only was there a loss of buy-in to the program, there was a big loss of respect too. Makes it even more impressive the turnaround from day one if you ask me, W&L's irrespective at this stage.

Reaction Score
He reminds me of Ollie in the way he approaches his job and talking about building a team, a family, putting the in the work day to day to be a winner. Do those things right, every day, and the wins will come. If his x's and o's, scheming, and adjustments (and/or his staff's) are as good as his foundation for building a program, we're going to win a lot of games.

Reaction Score
Slightly OT but article relevant, this comment at the bottom of our section had me a bit more intrigued. We all knew about the new paint, new feel, protein bar, etc. at the facilities, but I was completely unaware of how much of a mess it was, at least according to this:

""The care and cleanliness of the facility. The locker room, the player lounge, the hallways, the traffic in the building. It had basically become a free-for-all. We had to raise the team's expectations and understanding of our expectations for how they treated things. We had to make a lot of changes for them in the building to help shine everything up so it became something respectable-looking again. Give the players things and present them in a first-class way and create a level of pride."

Just goes to show you that not only was there a loss of buy-in to the program, there was a big loss of respect too. Makes it even more impressive the turnaround from day one if you ask me, W&L's irrespective at this stage.

Just keep shaking my head.

Reaction Score
Just keep shaking my head.

I can't imagine a scenario that allowed what are, essentially, new facilities to go to hell. It reflects a lack of discipline I didn't think any coach would tolerate. The condition of the facilities, physical condition of the athletes, the penalties and missed assignments. No wonder they lost. They had totally lost their self-respect.

Reaction Score
This guy is a winner, period.
We need to stop telling the world how great this guy is. I say we start dumping in him or else he'll be out of here before we know it. He's just too damn good. I cant help thinking anything but that. He is a gift for the Football gods. While Ws are key, the guy has changed the culture and that's a big win.

Reaction Score
Nice job Bill Connelly (whoever you are)...
Could this be the same Bill Connelly who at one time was a columnist for the Philadelphia Enquirer & was also one of the originals on ESPN's "The Sports Reporters"?

Reaction Score
Could this be the same Bill Connelly who at one time was a columnist for the Philadelphia Enquirer & was also one of the originals on ESPN's "The Sports Reporters"?

Wasn't that Bill Conlin and I think he's morto.

Reaction Score
Wasn't that Bill Conlin and I think he's morto.

Nobody wants to be mistaken for Conlin who famously/infamously wrote, "the only positive thing I can think of about Hitler's time on earth: I'm sure he would have eliminated all bloggers." That got him in trouble.

He resigned after being accused of some really sick sh't. Google if interested. No reason to write about it here.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score

Pretty crazy that it got that bad... Makes you wonder how bad things really were under PP? Thank god for Bob Diaco.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Pretty crazy that it got that bad... Makes you wonder how bad things really were under PP? Thank god for Bob Diaco.
I think we had a vague idea there might be cultural problems from consecutive 5 win seasons, but it wasn't necessarily clear if that culture was a remnant of the last days of Hathaway /Edsall. In other words, there was a school if thought that if PP had fired GDL (or never even hired him to begin with) and had a younger, more dynamic staff, then his role as caretaker HC might have been a bit more successful. Well, he kept GDL by his side till the bitter end, and they were both fired on exactly the same day (to quote Modest Mouse). Appropriate.

With a new staff, including strength & conditioning, the page is turned, and the potential ceiling for the program is higher. Whether UConn reaches that ceiling, or even approaches sustained stability as a program, remains to be seen but I think it's okay to be cautiously optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom