Bob Diaco continues work rebuilding UConn, Huskies ranked No. 120 (Orlando Sentinel) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bob Diaco continues work rebuilding UConn, Huskies ranked No. 120 (Orlando Sentinel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Talent, experience, size, strength & conditioning can make up for head coaching inexperience. While we may have had some quality players last year there were enough weaknesses that the opposition had no trouble exploiting them.
None of can predict what we will see this year, but we are all hoping that we have addressed the worst of those weaknesses (OL, QB) so that they are not huge liabilities.
If we have players with enough experience and better conditioning so that they can carry out the coach's game plans it should translate into more competitive play and putting ourselves in a good position to win games.

Reaction Score
If it wasn't the first game of the season I'd have more confidence. If our team plays to its capabilities, we should win. But we will have a QB that is seeing his first serious game action for this program. Do you think Michigan would have lost to App St if that game was played in mid-October? I hope we are ready. It is the coaches' job to make sure we are ready. I know we have the talent to beat them. We just might not be a team yet by that point.

Which why I also think we could lose to Nova and end up with a successful season.

Reaction Score
I still don't buy that we wereTHAT bad last year. I think at least some of it falls on coaching and a guy who really put winning distant 2nd to refashioning a program his way. He basically quit in the U.S. F game. He couldn't decide on a quarterback between Cochran an two bad quarterbacks and quite frankly anyone who saw Casey perform in 2013 should have handed him the job. I still don't buy that we lacked the talent to beat Army and had to struggle against Stony Brook. This was as much a coaching decision to be that bad as actalent decision.
Answered your own question. How do you protect your only healthy quarterback for the entire season, who really isn't that good ( qbr in the mid 20's), behind a OL (including TEs) that is even worse, who himself is one concussion from ending his playing career? While also introducing a new defense at the start and a new offense just past midseason?

Reaction Score
Do you think Michigan would have lost to App St if that game was played in mid-October?
Michigan never contemplated losing to App St. They were totally flummoxed after treating them as an appetizing starter on a much heartier menu. We know what we're facing. We have the Towson experience and SMU close-out embarrassment as teaching moments. We are now better in all areas. We understand and respect Villanova's prowess but this is our coming out party. You can label it happy talk if you wish but there's a very small chance we lose that game. In fact I think we blow them out.

Reaction Score
Do you know how bad you need to be to be ranked 120? It means you are the equivalent of a mediocre FCS school. Until Diaco shows on the field that they can beat someone that's what they are. And yes they will have a very tough time against Villanova. 4 - 5 wins will probably be successful season.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
No students and last year SMU level crowds. Geeez.

That game was an anomaly. Horrible weather, Christmas shopping season, and a game that "featured" 2-9 vs. 0-11.

Friends and relatives attended.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I still don't buy that we wereTHAT bad last year. I think at least some of it falls on coaching and a guy who really put winning distant 2nd to refashioning a program his way. He basically quit in the U.S. F game. He couldn't decide on a quarterback between Cochran an two bad quarterbacks and quite frankly anyone who saw Casey perform in 2013 should have handed him the job. I still don't buy that we lacked the talent to beat Army and had to struggle against Stony Brook. This was as much a coaching decision to be that bad as actalent decision.

Well that would be the issue. They were that bad. That would be why they got beat up by an 0-11 southern team in horrible weather at home.

It would be why Cincinnati beat them 41-0 at home and the game wasn't even as close as that score would lead you to believe.

Reaction Score
Listen. We played awful football no doubt about it. But pulling the starter in the red zone. Refusing to throw. And if you're afraid to stick with a guy because he might get injured you really are in the wrong business. The girls hopscotch squad. Might need a coach with that outlook. Not a d1 football team. That is more excuse than a strategy

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
... I think at least some of it falls on coaching ... He basically quit in the U.S. F game. He couldn't decide on a quarterback between Cochran an two bad quarterbacks and quite frankly anyone who saw Casey perform in 2013 should have handed him the job. ... This was as much a coaching decision to be that bad as a talent decision.

Why does anyone think the coaching will be better this year?

Reaction Score
And that is a huge concern. Except that another 2 win season means Bobby is a defensive coordinator someplace in 2016. So he can't talk about preseason games and not game plan and all the crazy stuff he did last year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Diaco wouldn't get fired if they went 2-10.

Reaction Score
Oh I don't know. When Warde looks at 2016 opening in front crickets he's going to have to do something and when he docs that he might as well just get someone new.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I think the hope is that Coach Diaco has learned from his mistakes. He was a rookie head coach. That is the hope at least.

This and my hope is the new offensive coordinator has some impact. Otherwise... :eek:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nebraska had to come from behind to beat McNeese State last year at home. It happens to someone every year. I think it mostly happens because just as with college basketball, the top 1AA teams are often veteran units, and may be facing a young FBS team early in the season and catch them off guard.

UConn will be better. It's a game of inches. A few plays here and there change outcomes. The defense is good, and if the offense can move the ball at all, it will be even better. I think we have some solid RBs, decent TEs, and hope Shirreffs can execute well enough. He doesn't need to be Marcus Marietta, just complete some balls, scramble and move the chains with his legs and get an occasional red zone score...without giving the ball away like Doctor's office lollipops. The last is most critical. The OL literally cannot be worse.

The team I watched last year spotted several of our opponents a touchdown to start the game. Boise State was competitive but for their two defensive touchdowns. USF would be a win but for the opening gift TD. Tulane won on three turnovers in their territory. ECU was very competitive. The offense put the defense under terrible strain with turnovers and poor field position football. Don't underestimate the difference that two first downs and punt have over 3 and out and a punt. A few more plays or bad plays avoided could have meant 5 wins. This team is going to be better than that team.

Reaction Score
Here's something to ponder...the 2013 team would have blown last years club out of the building. Especially the team that played the final few games of 2013. The Bobster basically threw the season to put in his system. There better be a step forward this year. It is very easy to become one of those teams that never wins. It is very tough to turn it around once you get there. Consecutive bad hires could put us in a hole. If we see the same nonsense this year 2-10 or worse, and losing our first 2 really puts that in play, it might be time to just move on before the damage gets nearly insurmountable.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Here's something to ponder...the 2013 team would have blown last years club out of the building. Especially the team that played the final few games of 2013. The Bobster basically threw the season to put in his system. There better be a step forward this year. It is very easy to become one of those teams that never wins. It is very tough to turn it around once you get there. Consecutive bad hires could put us in a hole. If we see the same nonsense this year 2-10 or worse, and losing our first 2 really puts that in play, it might be time to just move on before the damage gets nearly insurmountable.

So the 3-9 huskies would beat the 2-10 huskies.

Big deal.

Its not about being the best 2 or 3 win team. Its about winning championships. That's what Bob D is focused on.

Reaction Score
Yeah it is a big deal. It means that an absolutely awful team was way better than what Diaco put out there with essentially the same guys. In order to play for championships you have to put your best guys on the field and put them in the best position to win. He did none of that last year. And I don't buy the first yeR head coach excuse. That is all it is--an excuse. James Franklin took an awful program and made it competitive his first year out of the box. I saw Vandy and I know how woeful they were. Diaco better show something and do so quickly. Nobody will convince me that we lacked the talent to beat the living les of Army USF orSMU. Jeez! If so maybe we should go back to the Yankee conference and put hoops in the Big East

Reaction Score
What's your point? Seriously, I'm curious.
To further confirm that indeed we were that bad
Yeah it is a big deal. It means that an absolutely awful team was way better than what Diaco put out there with essentially the same guys. In order to play for championships you have to put your best guys on the field and put them in the best position to win. He did none of that last year. And I don't buy the first yeR head coach excuse. That is all it is--an excuse. James Franklin took an awful program and made it competitive his first year out of the box. I saw Vandy and I know how woeful they were. Diaco better show something and do so quickly. Nobody will convince me that we lacked the talent to beat the living les of Army USF orSMU. Jeez! If so maybe we should go back to the Yankee conference and put hoops in the Big East

Here is a qb rating from espn. Many think its the most important position on the field. There are 129 entries.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32