Blue/White Night, 11/2 @7p (Updated) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Blue/White Night, 11/2 @7p (Updated)

Reaction Score
If Jackson averages 10/7/4 with 2 steals and 2 blocks he might be one of the best players in America. Certainly one of the best defenders in America. I think he has it in him.
The steals and blocks would be ridiculous, but he should 100% be averaging 10-7-4.

Reaction Score
Was in attendance.Most impressed with Calcatara. Greek kid good. Didn't like when AK got passed up on the break. Diara? AK can play too.
Prove it in a big game Hawk.
Great match up all nite AS DC

Reaction Score
They handed out rosters sheets.
May only on one side?

Door I came in there was no one handing anything out. I glanced at the table and only saw season ticket pricing handouts.

I didn't see anyone holding a piece of paper where I was sitting.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So seems like the last blue lineup is the starting lineup on Monday. Newton, Hawkins, Alleyne, Samson, Sanogo.
That Samson is in the discussion for starter has to be the biggest positive surprise of pre-season, imo. You had to really squint to see much of a player last year.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I was in the house last night and my takeaway is that there is a ton of talent on this roster.

Also noteworthy that the last 10-minutes of the scrimmage included a lineup of Tristan Newton, Nehiem Alleyne, Jordan Hawkins, Samson Johnson and Adama Sanogo. Expect that to be the starting 5 on Monday.
is it safe to assume that group won the 3rd scrimmage?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't remember who won that scrimmage, but I also got the sense that that was Hurley's best take on a starting five as of now; it was notable because it was the only time Hawkins and Sanogo were on the same squad all night, and I think they were the only two sure starters playing last night.

Reaction Score
I don't remember who won that scrimmage, but I also got the sense that that was Hurley's best take on a starting five as of now; it was notable because it was the only time Hawkins and Sanogo were on the same squad all night, and I think they were the only two sure starters playing last night.

They were together for the first period as well

Blue:
Newtown
Joey California
alleyne
Samson
Clingan

White:
Diarra
Hawk
Apostolos
Karaban
Sanogo

Reaction Score
"Man, I've improved a lot," Johnson said. "Last year, I didn't know where to be at on defense. I just learned from all the guys and prepared myself for this year."

"I had to figure out," Johnson said. "I wasn't ready. This year, during the summer, I worked out a lot, watched a lot of film, lifted a lot of weights, and I'm ready."

Alternate free link:

Blue/White scrimmage takeaway: Samson Johnson has come a long way in a year

Welcome maturity and self-awareness.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
yikes, it took him like seven steps from the top of the key to the dunk
Actually, it seems two dribbles. That's covering a lot of ground.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They were together for the first period as well
Thanks. I guess I was still trying to figure out who everyone else was at that point; and it was clear that neither of those two initial teams was a starting five possibility.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Based on what I watched last night, I’m going to say no on his Diarra take.
it had better not be, cuz there is nothing in his record, including going backward by 25% in his playing time per game last year, that shows otherwise.
and iffn newt ain't the pg from minute one, well, hooston we got a big problem.
let's listen to danny on newt, from waay back in the spring:
'“I just love the way he fits in with Jordan [Hawkins] and Andre [Jackson],” said Hurley on Thursday. “It was important that the point guard that we brought in could facilitate because Jordan has got an explosive year ahead of him.”
Men’s Basketball: A look into UConn transfer Tristen Newton and why he’s a perfect fit
'His performance in a 21-point loss apparently impressed Hurley, who filled a roster need for a scoring point guard by receiving a commitment on Wednesday from the 6-foot-5 Newton.'
UConn lands transfer Tristen Newton from East Carolina; Akok Akok to transfer
"With R.J.'s departure and not feeling like there was a guy in the program that could take that mantle, we knew that we had to go get a big-time point guard," Hurley said. "With Tristen, that was the first thing we wanted to knock out."
Hurley on spate of recent UConn transfers: 'It's almost like a different type of sport'

i don't really know what newt can do at the point, while remaining extremely hopeful, but i do know that his record demands that he be the first one to try. i mean, danny said so, 'big-time point guard,' right?
uh, oh 2x.
Who will be UConn men's basketball team's starting point guard this season? Dan Hurley still deciding

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
but wait, there's more!
i just learned from this that newt led Texas as a hs senior in buckets!
thirty seven a game!
and that's not even the best part. unbeknownst to me, my ol pal Stevie D was/is (idk) the assistant coach at ECU, (haven't seen him in years, great bball mind) also weighs in on him in the article:
'“He’s an elite-level scorer, elite-level person and I think he’s going to be an elite-level player at the high-major level,” Demeo said of Newton.'

always trust hoops content from stevie d. forget sju and their dump brains.
East Carolina transfer Tristen Newton commits to UConn men’s basketball team

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If Diarra's 3 had gone in, it would have been a 15-14 victory for White. Instead, Johnson slipped in & grabbed the ball that Joey C had batted back from a high-bounce. Final score was 16-12.

I've seen nobody mention that the 3rd period had a higher number of open look missed shots that didn't look all that great.

In all, I liked the overall first look at so many new players; the DC/AS and SJ/AK matchups; and parking free in South after not understanding the "Park by Phone" instruction for the the 2 apps that no doubt will be operative.

Really nice photo op/friendliness afterwards.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Jackson is a big loss on the defensive end. This team was kind of comprised with the expectation he would play 35 minutes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom