Blue Star Media: Hiring Tyler Summitt and the women's coaching quandary | The Boneyard

Blue Star Media: Hiring Tyler Summitt and the women's coaching quandary

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know his momma said he's been gaining experience/ preparing for this since he was 5 or 6, but since even many die hard Tennessee fans now admit that the game - particularly the offensive game - passed Pat Summit by quite some time ago, what is it that this lad brings to the table?

Reaction Score
I know his momma said he's been gaining experience/ preparing for this since he was 5 or 6, but since even many die hard Tennessee fans now admit that the game - particularly the offensive game - passed Pat Summit by quite some time ago, what is it that this lad brings to the table?

McClelland said he's convinced he's hired "one of the greatest coaching minds" in the game.

What else do you want him to bring to the table ? :)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tyler ran camps and coached AAU teams. He also called a lot of the plays at Marquette. He watched film with his mom. Since he was a little kid. On the men's team he had some coaching from Pearl and Martin. He wore down every teaching lesson he had on his computer.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
There are definitely going to be skeptics, I think it's a great hire though for several reasons. First, this will draw big publicity and interest to La Tech's program. It was a bold move, Tyler Summitt is a one of the most well known names in women's basketball and next year you can guarantee there will be lots of people checking out how LaTech is doing under his tutelage. Additionally, I bet this will significantly help recruiting.

Despite that Tyler Summitt is young coach, he's not your average 23 year old. He's married, has worked for 2 years as an assistant at Marquette, and seems very poised/mature for his age. He doesn't have the resume that other candidates had, but he's hungry, motivated, and has been around basketball his whole life. He has been groomed for coaching his entire life, watching his legendary mom lead her teams to countless Final Fours and he'll understand the pressure and expectations that will come with this role, and he has a great assistant in DeMoss on his sideline.

It is definitely a bold move by the AD, but I think it is one that could payoff in a big way.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
McClelland said he's convinced he's hired "one of the greatest coaching minds" in the game.

And he said that based on what? Come on, you are kidding me, right? Oops, you are kidding me!! If so, try this ;) next time.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Name recognition. Pretty important, especially at a place like LA Tech

And there's this:

Said Brenda Frese of Maryland: "He's more than ready. I'm sure he will do a tremendous job."

That's it, I'm sold.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There are definitely going to be skeptics, I think it's a great hire though for several reasons. First, this will draw big publicity and interest to La Tech's program. It was a bold move, Tyler Summitt is a one of the most well known names in women's basketball and next year you can guarantee there will be lots of people checking out how LaTech is doing under his tutelage. Additionally, I bet this will significantly help recruiting.

Despite that Tyler Summitt is young coach, he's not your average 23 year old. He's married, has worked for 2 years as an assistant at Marquette, and seems very poised/mature for his age. He doesn't have the resume that other candidates had, but he's hungry, motivated, and has been around basketball his whole life. He has been groomed for coaching his entire life, watching his legendary mom lead her teams to countless Final Fours and he'll understand the pressure and expectations that will come with this role, and he has a great assistant in DeMoss on his sideline.

It is definitely a bold move by the AD, but I think it is one that could payoff in a big way.

Hey, when I was a kid I liked Orange Cool Aid too. However, most of us grow up and learn that there are other things we can drink with lots of empty calories which have pseudo-salutary properties and the effects don't linger long.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hey, when I was a kid I liked Orange Cool Aid too. However, most of us grow up and learn that there are other things we can drink with lots of empty calories which have pseudo-salutary properties and the effects don't linger long.

Also note, the AD is only 32 and has been an AD (at other schools) since his mid 20s! That is even more surprising to me.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Sometimes hiring someone young works out well.

Wally Halas graduated from Clark University in 1973, being the team's MVP three years and the winner of the Bob Cousy award. He was hired as the head coach at Clark one month after graduating and coached them for 13 years, going to the NCAA tournament ten times. His winning percentage was .606; after Clark he was head coach at Columbia for a few years. I'm guessing he was 21 or perhaps 22 when he took the head coaching job.

He definitely comes from a family with athletics in the background, being a relative of Chicago Bears founder George Halas.

Granted Clark is not a division 1 school like Tyler is now heading but as I started in this post, sometimes it just works out.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Also note, the AD is only 32 and has been an AD (at other schools) since his mid 20s! That is even more surprising to me.

I thought we were just having fun! Sure, he is the genius who maybe hired the person with a few years experience that he just fired. One could argue the problem is him. Mickey and Holly spent forever with his mother and did not learn how to run an offense. Hey, I wish the kid all the best. It is swell that he has a mum who can pull strings and buy him something to play with. Maybe Holly can steer a few of her disgruntled HS AAs his way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We need Auriemma junior to continue the tradition, we don't want our children to loose do we? Anybody with me?

Reaction Score
I say give the kid a chance. Let him prove himself. I think he is an interesting hire for LA Tech. T- Spoon couldn't get it done. Can Tyler? He has a great pedigree, but only time will tell.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think the question remains - why would a top recruit want to play at a school with so so facilities and a small fan base that is a member of a weak conference? When mid-major type schools like Louisiana Tech and Old Dominion had top WBB programs, it was mostly before many "big schools" put a lot of resources into women's basketball. That is no longer the case. Tyler could be a great coach and still not win big at Louisiana Tech. If Holly doesn't start winning big at UT, it would not surprise me one bit to see the Vols eventually hire Tyler Summitt. It would be interesting to see how he would do with their talent.

Reaction Score
I think the question remains - why would a top recruit want to play at a school with so so facilities and a small fan base that is a member of a weak conference? When mid-major type schools like Louisiana Tech and Old Dominion had top WBB programs, it was mostly before many "big schools" put a lot of resources into women's basketball. That is no longer the case. Tyler could be a great coach and still not win big at Louisiana Tech. If Holly doesn't start winning big at UT, it would not surprise me one bit to see the Vols eventually hire Tyler Summitt. It would be interesting to see how he would do with their talent.
Hate to say it, but this could apply to UConn in the AAC. You are stuck in a bad conference. I think you will be OK as long as Geno stays, but after that, you could have a real problem staying relevant.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it, but this could apply to UConn in the AAC. You are stuck in a bad conference. I think you will be OK as long as Geno stays, but after that, you could have a real problem staying relevant.
Or we could be like the men's team and get a Kevin Ollie and return the FF again... that's what I'd be putting money on. As for RU... you won the lottery, but you forgot why. It certainly wasn't the athletic department.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Why are all these non UCONN fans hanging around on our board all the time? Amazes me. Do some of you guys hang on their boards, if they even have them. Incredible. Where's my ignore button, anyway?

Reaction Score
I was never a supporter of nepotism of any kind. Just because some one is the relative of a talented individual does not necessarily mean that that talent would be transmitted through the genes. On the other hand we shouldn't hold it against an individual if they happen to be the offspring of a legend. He might actually even turn out to be better than his mother. He could conceivably take the foundations he learned watching her program and take it to a different level. I always suspected that a lot of the pioneer coaches in WCBB were not actually that good but rather it was that they came into the programs when there was a very low standard of competition. Most of them were just college players who then turned to coaching. Good players don't always make good coaches. Bill Russel, Larry Bird, Jabbar. Michael Jordon, etc. But in WCBB it seems that that was an early pattern that was set. Players became coaches. I think in some cases that might have handy-capped the game. The woman's game has and is continuing to make huge leaps and that would be something that some of the older Women's coaches who played the game might have had a far more difficult time adjusting too. I think that might have been Pats biggest handycap. The fact that she played in and got locked into the style of a different era. I think she just stayed too long. Each generation, in time, needs to step down and let the next group take it to a different level.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Why are all these non UCONN fans hanging around on our board all the time? Amazes me. Do some of you guys hang on their boards, if they even have them. Incredible. Where's my ignore button, anyway?

This forum has become more than a singly focused Huskies board, it is a women's sports board with a focus on UConn women's basketball. Folks here regularly bring up topics that span a wide variety of sports, teams and games. If that draws fans form other teams and sports, all the better. What you dislike is what I consider to be one of the BY's best attributes.

If guests are respectful as they express their opinions(and they have been in this thread), then they are contributing to making this forum the best on the web. That's something we all should enjoy. On the other hand, the fandom zenophobia you seem to be displaying is corrosive and only leads to the atmosphere found at forums like the Summitt. I've seen you do better than this. My suggestion would be to have another cup of joe and take a shot at resetting the day.

YOPB

Reaction Score
I agree with Boo, but you do have an Ignore button. Click on the poster's name and you'll see it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This forum has become more than a singly focused Huskies board, it is a women's sports board with a focus on UConn women's basketball. Folks here regularly bring up topics that span a wide variety of sports, teams and games. If that draws fans form other teams and sports, all the better. What you dislike is what I consider to be one of the BY's best attributes.

If guests are respectful as they express their opinions(and they have been in this thread), then they are contributing to making this forum the best on the web. That's something we all should enjoy. On the other hand, the fandom zenophobia you seem to be displaying is corrosive and only leads to the atmosphere found at forums like the Summitt. I've seen you do better than this. My suggestion would be to have another cup of joe and take a shot at resetting the day.

YOPB

I wholeheartedly concur. Wanna appreciate what you have here on the BY,waste an hour or so visiting other program's fan boards. ND board a desert. RU pale shadow of what it was (sorry Scarlett), and more of same pretty much where ever you look. VolNation has not a single thread following the NCAA tournament once Tenn lost. The ND NCAA thread is mostly testosterone fueled ignorant remarks about uteruses triggering ACL injuries, KML's weight, how Stewie can't rebound(!), yadda yadda.

Reaction Score
Tyler ran camps and coached AAU teams. He also called a lot of the plays at Marquette. He watched film with his mom. Since he was a little kid. On the men's team he had some coaching from Pearl and Martin. He wore down every teaching lesson he had on his computer.
Well now, that settles that! Who could disagree with such profound logic. Tyler is without a doubt the best choice the AD could have made, I mean what other candidate could claim to have "worn down" every teaching lesson they had on their computer! I was a little uncertain about his qualifications and foolishly thought that he got the job because of mom's connections.
Thanks for opening my eyes stwain.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Look, I love a lot of the guests, and enjoy their posts...I know I should not have said a peep...it's just that lately...maybe with all the A'ja stuff, it has seemed kinda weird. I appreciate the criticism and admit my fault.

Reaction Score

Good for him. But, what about all those women toiling out there as assistants for 10 or more years without a call! It makes you wonder why him and not them. Even Holly spend more time at UT before she landed her job. He took a 2-year hiatus from UT and deemed the best ever, even before handling a team in the absence of the head coach. Oh, the System and the order of things.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'll trot out something a Hall of Famer said about assistants. Imagine, she said, I hire a man and a woman as assistants - same amount of experience. A head coaching job opens. The man says, "I'm going for it!" totally convinced he has the experience to snag the position. The woman says, "Hmmm... Let me stick around here as an assistant, get better prepared and THEN I'll try for a head coach gig."

I don't imagine that's 100% accurate, but I do see some of that tendency in myself.

You cannot "expect a call." You should be making the call.

That being said, I haven't seen who else went after the position -- it's not like LaTech is a "catch" - heck, Fresno State has an opening, what with TCU poaching Pebley after Kansas State poached Mittie. Let's see who they hire...

Not for nothin', but the son of Rick Pitino just won the NIT - he's won 70 games. And was in his first year at Minnesota.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...it-championship-2014-minnesota-richard-pitino

Pitino has every right to brag about his strong first season. The Golden Gophers finished their campaign under the second-year coach with 25 wins, the first time they've reached that mark since the 1996-97 season where they finished 31-4 and went to the Final Four, which was counted as "unofficial" due to academic fraud charges.

Last season ended in a third round loss in the NCAA Tournament and Tubby Smith being fired. This season seemed to infuse the Golden Gophers with new life. With Pitino at the helm, there is now a concrete answer for Minnesota's future in the Big 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom