Blowout City- KO soft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Blowout City- KO soft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some of the young BY clowns will look at it differently and I'm only 33. That was a humiliation. KO doesn't argue calls/fight for players and let's refs dictate the pace/officiating of these games. No balls. Hopefully he does more moving forward because I know Shonn Miller gives it all.
He still has a National Championship under his belt... got that 2 years ago... chill out... 3 years before that he got one as an assistant here too...
S@it happens.. I remember when KO was the starting PG for #1 ranked UCONN at home (in Gampel) vs. Nova... That Kerry Kittles led squad came in and SMASHED us by like 30, on National TV.. at home...

My point: We'll be alright... We have a ton of talent but, chemistry is OFF... way OFF.. Too much belief in the perimeter guys offensively, with not enough meshing of our frontcourt guys into the equation.. Wish we could still bring back Clyde Vaughn to help get that frontcourt in order..

When this season ends I do see us making some coaching changes on the bench... I see some guys getting head coaching gigs elsewhere which will probably be the main culprit. Might be their time (again.. Miller, Hobbs) ... IMO, we could use a guy that can better prepare our frontcourt kids when the assistant search starts.

Reaction Score
Just because the players aren't as talented as we thought doesn't negate the fact that this coaching staff has done a miserable job with this roster. I hate that people act like those are two separate things.

Objectively speaking, UConn has more talent on its roster than Temple, Houston, or Tulsa, and yet they sit behind all of them in the standings. That's not just on the players.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I blame it on former President Bush giving Nick Moore a hug in the pregame.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think my biggest issue with Ollie is this: the player development isn't there. I know Omar had the hip surgeries, and Phil doesn't have a ton of talent, but they've both been here for 4 years and neither one is any better than they were their freshman year. Hamilton has a ton of talent; I expected a decent leap from last year, but he really hasn't improved very much at all; he's a better defender and free throw shooter, but otherwise the same volume shooter that turns the ball over way too much. Purvis is no better than last year, Brimah is a junior and is just as inconsistent as he was as a freshman, and overall his numbers are only slightly better than last year. When did this kind of thing ever happen under Calhoun? I mean, you'd have some players here and there fall through the cracks, but in most cases everybody got better. I know they had more talent, but look at what happened to that 2006-2007 team: they didn't even make the NIT. They were a 4 seed the next year, then a one-seed in the tourney the next with the same group of players.

I know Calhoun is a hall of famer, and it would be unfair to expect that out of Ollie, but improvement from his players isn't an unreasonable request.

Reaction Score
If KO won half of the close games, this team would be comfortably in the tournament. I try not to make too much of a game like last night because it got out of control, it happens. The close losses, the inability to finish is the problem with KO. Last year we lost in the last minute to Texas and followed that by losing in the last minute to YALE!!! To Yale. This is a long term problem.

There is plenty of talent on this team to win this awful league. But when a team collapses over and over down the stretch, at winning time. That starts is Ollie's mirror. He needs to figure out something.

Reaction Score
On one bench is a Basketball Hall of Fame Coach in Larry Brown........... On the other bench is a smoke and mirrors wanna be college coach who needs to learn the X's and O's before he should be allowed to coach another game..... This is not on the players. It's solely on Ollie's recruiting, talent evaluation and lack of player development. Enough said.....

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Stop with this. I have been a big KO defender on this board but the fact is that we are probably the most talented team in this league. Who has a better roster on paper? KO has had a god awful year.

Gotta disagree. No one looked at the game last night and thought UConn had more talent. SMU consistently put 5 players on the floor who could move within the flow of an offense, pass the ball, maintain space and be aggressive. They were better rebounders, played better man defense, help defense and every other facet of the game.

One could say UConn has recruited players with a higher ranking, but UConn has the 5th or 6th best talent in the league right now. Coaching and development matter.

Reaction Score
He still has a National Championship under his belt... got that 2 years ago... chill out... 3 years before that he got one as an assistant here too...
S@it happens.. I remember when KO was the starting PG for #1 ranked UCONN at home (in Gampel) vs. Nova... That Kerry Kittles led squad came in and SMASHED us by like 30, on National TV.. at home...

My point: We'll be alright... We have a ton of talent but, chemistry is OFF... way OFF.. Too much belief in the perimeter guys offensively, with not enough meshing of our frontcourt guys into the equation.. Wish we could still bring back Clyde Vaughn to help get that frontcourt in order..

When this season ends I do see us making some coaching changes on the bench... I see some guys getting head coaching gigs elsewhere which will probably be the main culprit. Might be their time (again.. Miller, Hobbs) ... IMO, we could use a guy that can better prepare our frontcourt kids when the assistant search starts.
Great, so we can expect Mendeldove and Donnell Beverly on the bench... Just what we need.

Reaction Score
Coach Calhoun needs to have a sit down with coach Ollie. There needs to be staff changes this offseason, this clearly isn't working.

I mentioned this in a previous thread. Maybe Ollie is too proud to call upon Calhoun's wisdom, but after last night we need all the help we can get. Flat out embarassing. Not sure why i'm surprised though, even when we win we still have some of the same glaring weaknesses, we just hit a few more threes than in games we lose.

Reaction Score
Ollie certainly deserves a majority of the blame, but I also believe that this roster is seriously flawed. The two biggest flaws, IMO, are not having an experienced PG; and having core players who in reality, are mostly one-trick-ponies. I'm referring to Brimah, Hamilton, Gibbs and Purvis -- players who have failed to develop fully, have yet to become complete players, and who play like role players, not stars.

They improve their area of strength, but mostly fail to expand beyond that.

I put Brimah at the top of that list simply because after almost 3 years, he's still not much more than just a tall kid who can block shots. He simply hasn't grown in ways that can't be measured with only a ruler. But the same is nearly true of Hamilton. He's not one-trick, but mostly, he's just the same player he was when he came into the program.

Gibbs frustrates me. I find him hard to watch, but I also have some sympathy for him because he's been put in a role, as PG, that he's not qualified to play.

As for Purvis, I consider him a balanced player -- half of what he does helps his own team; half helps the opponent.

So is all of this really Ollie's fault? Maybe.

Reaction Score
I was waiting till the season started to wind down, and give my thoughts, but after last nights 30 point blowout, maybe it's time to get this off my chest. In the beginning there was so much hope for KO and the program. Sadly after that one championship season, things have not gone well, in Storrs. With the departure of Wade Manuel as AD, maybe it's also time to jettison KO. A new AD might just want his own person. Maybe it's time to 'start over'. Let's be real, there is not going to be another Jim Calhoun on the bench at Storrs. Right now it's becoming clear that to make it to the big dance, UC may have to have a long run in the AAC tourney. I think it's painfully evident that another year in the NIT will not sit well with the fans or the administration. Yes, I think it's time to show the door to KO, and to pick a new coach..................NOT FROM THE FAMILY. Maybe a totally new name, and face for the program. No Ray Allen, No Glenn Miller, No Donny Marshall, NO ONE.
OK, Rant is over. Time to make the change.

Reaction Score
KO has to take a share of the blame

but the main problem with this team is that they're not any good, and they don't play hard. they go up weak for layups and dunks in the first 5 minutes of the game, get that sent right back in their face, and then they go back to what's easy: contested 3 point shots.

when DHam is supposed to be your best player, you're not a good team

Dham could and should be good enough to be the best player on a competitive team. Lets hope next year he can prove me right.

Reaction Score
Dham could and should be good enough to be the best player on a competitive team. Lets hope next year he can prove me right.
Yeah, people said the exact same thing last year at this time.

Reaction Score
Well let's say it one more year before we write him off.
Sounds good. Let's hope in the offseason he adds another move to the "wait until the shot clock shows 5, headfake, spin move, drive to the elbow and clang a shot off the rim" thing. I think he's perfected that.

Reaction Score
I blame it on former President Bush giving Nick Moore a hug in the pregame.
So bis team is Texas in the tourney? Go paint a dog.

Reaction Score
Sounds good. Let's hope in the offseason he adds another move to the "wait until the shot clock shows 5, headfake, spin move, drive to the elbow and clang a shot off the rim" thing. I think he's perfected that.

I don't necessarily think that's his fault. If we had an offense in place that would allow him to succeed he wouldn't need to force bad shots. We tried the hi-lo set two or three games ago. Ollie knows other sets other than this dribble nonsense stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom