Block C Helmet is back | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Block C Helmet is back

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
IMG_5820.JPG
Let's sue the Habs!

Reaction Score
This subject's been beaten to death, brought back to life, and beaten back to death again countless times so might as well toss in my two cents as well.

Don't mind at all going back to the block "C" - it was our look during our best years of football - I just want to see some consistency with the basketball uniforms and the other sports. If the hoop unis have red trim, keep red trim on the football unis (not much, just thin trim lines). If football uses the block "C," why can't they incorporate it a little into the basketball unis and the other olympic sports teams? Keep the branding consistent.

Many universities have multiple logos - a letter and a mascot. Kansas comes to mind. They have that big Jayhawk logo, but also have an interlocking "KU."

Do the same thing here. Block "C" on the helmet, the Husky logo to represent all athletics. A mix of both. It's not rocket science.

thumb.aspx

Reaction Score
They could put the block C on basketball shorts, which would be a good idea.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This subject's been beaten to death, brought back to life, and beaten back to death again countless times so might as well toss in my two cents as well.

Don't mind at all going back to the block "C" - it was our look during our best years of football - I just want to see some consistency with the basketball uniforms and the other sports. If the hoop unis have red trim, keep red trim on the football unis (not much, just thin trim lines). If football uses the block "C," why can't they incorporate it a little into the basketball unis and the other olympic sports teams? Keep the branding consistent.

Many universities have multiple logos - a letter and a mascot. Kansas comes to mind. They have that big Jayhawk logo, but also have an interlocking "KU."

Do the same thing here. Block "C" on the helmet, the Husky logo to represent all athletics. A mix of both. It's not rocket science.

thumb.aspx

Agreed, and please, no more gray unis, period. Gray is not a school color, and they're ugly. Every time I see them I expect to hear the Georgetown pep band strike up the tune "When The Saints Go Marching In".

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Agreed, and please, no more gray unis, period. Gray is not a school color, and they're ugly. Every time I see them I expect to hear the Georgetown pep band strike up the tune "When The Saints Go Marching In".

I may be wrong, but I think I recall reading that the kids themselves like the gray unis.

Reaction Score

I'm alright with the gray hoop unis on occasion but not too often. Not for our marquee games.

Thing is nowadays just about every school has multiple uniform combos, especially for football. There's always gonna be alternates. It's long past just being an Oregon thing.

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
The logo thing is a mix bag: I Think we could appease Many this wearing it 3 times

The UConn brand was so all over the place. Women's and Men's basketball had their own logo. Baseball had a C. Football had a block C. And we have a happy dog logo and the word "UConn cursive logo". We were all over the place with marketing, our logo situation was a mess. It confused TV & Media outlets as they would use the incorrect logos (ie woman's for men's logos on TV & internet scoreboards) I really could not recall a school that had so many different logos for each sport. Nike came up with a mean looking husky to become our brand and unique identifier. And I truly believe it was 100% the correct move.

And as much as us couch potatoes like the classier block C.... the kids, I would bet, want the mean looking dog on their helmets.

The Oregon stuff is crazy but we have seen that kids have committed to Oregon because they like Nike and the crazy unis. We need all the help we can get and we need the crazy unis and a mean dog...The Block C is for grandma & grandpa.

My two cents.I think each year/season we have a game where we explain the history, trailers etc..... of our program to the kids and we wear the Block C unis for a game. This will let us relive the glory days for a few games a year and still keep us current with the mean dog. I would push to wear the block C if we play an old big east team as a "throwback" game so to speak. We must wear the block C against Syracuse, USF and Cincy
Great idea and we could slap the C on our field as well.

Reaction Score
Right. You can't trademark a name that is in use, in a similar use case (sports team). But you can still trademark your logo. So UConn can't trademark "Huskies". It can trademark "UConn Huskies", or any of our logos.

Kind of silly for Seattle not to take Metropolitans if they want it, just because of that.

They didn't want Metropolitans

Reaction Score
Seattle's NHL team won't consider the Metropolitans name because of the NY Mets. And the Seattle Metropolitans were the first American team to win the Stanley Cup.
Queens' baseball franchise's branded and trademarked name is simply the New York Mets or Mets. Despite being operated by a New York Metropolitan (singular) Baseball legal entity, they opted not to re-use a 19th century Metropolitans' team name. Whether Seattle's new NHL franchise could have re-used the name of the first U.S.-based Stanley Cup Champion may be subject to legal interpretation.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Vince Dooley took the G from the Packers.

I believe UGA still pays Green Bay for the use of the logo.
The Rye High School Garnets (NY) have used the Packer "G" on the helmet for many years.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Vince Dooley took the G from the Packers.

I believe UGA still pays Green Bay for the use of the logo.
Wrong. Absolutely wrong.

Reaction Score
We've established the payment part was wrong but UGA asked Green Bay for permission...
... and was granted permission, hence it was also incorrect when someone suggested "Vince Dooley took the G from the Packers". Advantage: Alum86.

Reaction Score
... and was granted permission, hence it was also incorrect when someone suggested "Vince Dooley took the G from the Packers". Advantage: Alum86.
UGA is claiming their logo is a coincidence but had to ask for permission anyway. That sounds so....SEC.

Reaction Score

Lol fine, I'm not trying to get into a debate over verbiage.

I know there are some people that can attest to the fact I'm probably the biggest UGA fan here.

Love Vince Dooley etc. no insult meant

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Right. You can't trademark a name that is in use, in a similar use case (sports team). But you can still trademark your logo. So UConn can't trademark "Huskies". It can trademark "UConn Huskies", or any of our logos.

Kind of silly for Seattle not to take Metropolitans if they want it, just because of that.
I thought the Mets' official name is the "New York Metropolitan Baseball Club". I have old ticket stubs from 1979 and I'm pretty sure that's what is printed.

Maybe the Mets have a copyright on "Mets" and "Metropolitan" but not "Metropolitans"?

Sports business law is interesting. There were many legal maneuvers about the "12th Man" concept between Texas A&M and the Seahawks. IIRC, A&M licensed Seattle to use it for a while, but then didn't renew that contract.

Reaction Score
Lol fine, I'm not trying to get into a debate over verbiage ... probably the biggest UGA fair.
Fair enough, given specific, inarguable fact is challenging to change in even a non-existing unilateral debate. Wise decision, even for maybe "... the biggest UGA fan. Just bustin' 'em now. ;)

Reaction Score
The best name for the Seattle franchise is obvious.

"The Seattle Operating Systems."

Then when AI takes over the planet, they have a team to root for.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The best name for the Seattle franchise is obvious.

"The Seattle Operating Systems."

Then when AI takes over the planet, they have a team to root for.

Or the Amazons

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom