Bill Simmons on Kemba | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bill Simmons on Kemba

Reaction Score
Who really cares. Truth is this, Kemba is guaranteed a ton of money and now plays for a team that will surely trade him to a team he wants to play for. Whatever the narrative is, true or false, Kemba has the chance to change it.

Reaction Score
Only post when something really gets me fired up because I’m too lazy to log in…I can understand the Simmons criticisms but every take above about Ryen Russillo is the incorrect one. Best sports media personality in the business by a mile. Smart, level headed, thoughtful, need more opinion people like this. I’ll hang up and listen.

Take it easy, Ryen. You get back and bis today or chest and tris?

(I actually don't dislike Russillo, no matter how tone deaf he can be and how ridiculous The Town rewatchable was.)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

(I actually don't dislike Russillo, no matter how tone deaf he can be and how ridiculous The Town rewatchable was.)
He substituted lifting for developing a personality.

Reaction Score

Haha I am stunned by how much hate The Town rewatchables is getting, I thought it was the best rewatchable they’ve ever done. Tone deaf is fair at times

Reaction Score
The best thing about Simmons is that his brand was at its highest before he started speaking. Then, people realized what a smarmy, effete tool he is and he lost just about all his clout. Simmons is the go-to guy for people who call it "sportsball".

Reaction Score
The best thing about Simmons is that his brand was at its highest before he started speaking. Then, people realized what a smarmy, effete tool he is and he lost just about all his clout. Simmons is the go-to guy for people who call it "sportsball".
In my experience that would be PMT.

Think Simmons has a bunch of listeners who are just old fans that enjoy the nostalgia of it. I can't imagine many of his listeners take him too seriously and I don't think he does either. It's obvious he doesn't have any real insights or analysis about modern sports. /r/billsimmons is hilarious btw

Reaction Score
Haha I am stunned by how much hate The Town rewatchables is getting, I thought it was the best rewatchable they’ve ever done. Tone deaf is fair at times

Appreciate your opinion but we'll agree to disagree. I love that movie and could not have been more let down by the pod.

Reaction Score

Not for nothing but I think most people would like to lose their clout like he did. The guy's worth a couple hundred million bucks.

Reaction Score
He doesn't give a ___ about Kemba's connection to UConn.
Don’t believe I said he did. Just a side note pertaining to his general dislikability, especially amongst those on this board.

His buddy Jacko, or whatever his name is, is a huge tool too. Cousin Sal is the only tolerable one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You guys actually watch this cr@p?

Reaction Score
In my experience that would be PMT.

Think Simmons has a bunch of listeners who are just old fans that enjoy the nostalgia of it. I can't imagine many of his listeners take him too seriously and I don't think he does either. It's obvious he doesn't have any real insights or analysis about modern sports. /r/billsimmons is hilarious btw
That's honestly interesting, I'm a millennial who wasn't up on Simmons when he first came on the scene but used to read Grantland religiously. Then, got tired of the hipstery, solipsistic tone of all the content so when PMT blew up it was a breath of fresh air and I've been a "AWL" ever since. PMT is great because, even though PFT can be a bit hipstery (sometimes I think he'd be better suited as sports correspondent for Chapo Trap House), they're both unabashed sports fans and don't try to over-intellectualize everything.

Reaction Score
Appreciate your opinion but we'll agree to disagree. I love that movie and could not have been more let down by the pod.
Gone Baby Gone was great, The Town was comical in how contrived it was. I'm surprised you loved it.

Reaction Score
That's honestly interesting, I'm a millennial who wasn't up on Simmons when he first came on the scene but used to read Grantland religiously. Then, got tired of the hipstery, solipsistic tone of all the content so when PMT blew up it was a breath of fresh air and I've been a "AWL" ever since. PMT is great because, even though PFT can be a bit hipstery (sometimes I think he'd be better suited as sports correspondent for Chapo Trap House), they're both unabashed sports fans and don't try to over-intellectualize everything.
PMT was good the first year I listened to in like 2017-2018. After that it was just tiresome, completely predictable jokes and tired schtick. I never got the impression they're more unabashed sports fans than Simmons. They really only follow the NFL (like Simmons w/ NBA) and then care about specific teams here and there. Both started out making fun of the conventional media and slowly morphed into what they were poking fun at imo.

Reaction Score
im not doing press for it or anything but I think the town was a fairly well reviewed movie.
I was talking about watching Simmons pod.

I know The Town got good reviews, I'll never understand it. It was like a TV movie, Jon Hamm was awful, over the top Boston accents, corny dialogue...The robbery scenes were good but the rest of it bleh.

Reaction Score
Regardless of people's opinions on Simmons and Russillo, this claim is based on fact. Not a sportswriters opinion.

I didn't read the article, but from @superjohn 's headline, Simmons is claiming that Kemba disregarded rehab. That's not an opinion. That's a matter of fact.

Simmons, with his prestige, wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. Or, he wouldn't say it if he didn't absolutely trust his source(s).

You sound like one of my fiances students in her 100-level formal logic courses. This is so far off from a rational argument I think I need a few pages just to unpack the levels of dumb.

Short version: just because something is presented as a fact doesn't mean it is. Circumstances can be interpreted and presented as fact. They are constantly in sports to fit a narrative. There's more than enough reasons why the ownership would want this info leaked. Heck, ESPN could have told him to manufacture a controversy. They do all. The. Time.

Attention-grabbing headlines are a hell of a lot more important in this business. They make money.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed The Town. It wasn’t going to be confused for an Oscar contender, but taken for what it was I thought it was entertaining. When I watch an action flick I’m not exactly expecting top-notch dialogue.

Edit: Actually, upon looking it up, Renner was nominated for an Oscar for best supporting role lol. That surprised me.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Only post when something really gets me fired up because I’m too lazy to log in…I can understand the Simmons criticisms but every take above about Ryen Russillo is the incorrect one. Best sports media personality in the business by a mile. Smart, level headed, thoughtful, need more opinion people like this. I’ll hang up and listen.
He's not the best, but I'm also surprised people dislike him. He's more dedicated on basketball than anyone at the major networks that I can tell, he doesn't play a character for social media sound bites, and also holds Simmons accountable for his bad takes. The Ringer has real basketball fans working as analysts.

I'd also argue he's not super entertaining, but you got guys like PMT and First Take for jokes and banter. I also skip most of the interviews on his pod, he could ask better questions. I wouldn't listen to him do anything not basketball, besides the life advice segment.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Considering the passion he plays with & his relentless desire to win, I don’t buy this BS article whatsoever.

He’s 31 years old with a lot of wear & tear on his knees - made worse by his change of pace style. Rehab work can only do so much.

Reaction Score
My problem with the article is this direct quote.
I think they’re like, ‘Either this guy didn’t work on his knee correctly or his knee is degenerative. Either way we’re in trouble, we have to get off this asset.

Those are 2 totally different things. The Town was OK....but come on(In my Calhoun voice)This is Kember we're talkin about.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing but I think most people would like to lose their clout like he did. The guy's worth a couple hundred million bucks.
Yeah he started a company and then sold it for $250 million 4 years later. No clout whatsoever.

Reaction Score
The information seems like pulling at straws- they traded him because he didn’t do excercises for his knee- lol- Another situation in where the Boston media is trying to hide the true narrative that now attacks their General Manager- Stevens’ has been abysmal at dealing with all-star veteran players- if we sat here 5 years ago & you told us the Celtics didn’t win a championship by now with that current roster structure & all its draft assets & cap space we would’ve all been confused- not to mention not even go to a NBA Finals.

Stevens belongs in college- developing young men- Ainge belongs where he was- playing chess in the league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom