Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back." | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Hurley has said if they are ready, he will make them leave the nest.

Hurley also acknowledged that he messed up with Bouknight and should have told him to stay another year because he wasn’t ready from a maturity standpoint, even though he was lottery.
Exactly.

Reaction Score
Horses used to win wars. Times change.
Insightful. The best player on earth, NIkola Jokic, played his first NBA game at age 21. He was drafted at age 20, but stayed in Europe for a year. Why do you think he did that? YOU think the money in Europe was better???? And in a short time he became the best player on earth. I do not begrudge DC if he were to leave. I understand the pull. But to think that that is his ONLY choice is myopic.

Reaction Score
Paige makes more NIL than Donovan and her WNBA salary is probably about $19 million less than what Donovan would make. The math is different for her.
I understand that all day. But some kids are just not ready to jump and the money isn't the issue. If he stays, it shows all kids are not in a rush to go pro even when they're able like it was before NIL days

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Not for nothing.. but if I was in his camp, I'd have had an insurance policy for potentinal future earnings taken out in high school as soon as he committed for such a matter. I think he should go because he's ready and he's not really going to improve his draft stock any more than he already has by playing another year. But getting injured, while awful and would deprive him of getting to play professional sports.. I don't think loss of money from injury is as a big of a motivator people think it is. He may see what happened to Bouknight and want another year because the thinks he's not ready or mature enough. Who knows. All the staff and his family can do is give him the best information they can to make the best and most informed decision he can and then respect it.

That said.. I don't think he's coming back. If he does, great. If he doesn't, no surprise and hope he has a long, healthy and rich career. He's earned it.
I see an NIL opportunity for one of the insurance companies in Hartford (are there any left?). The Insurance Capital covers the Basketball Capital - Donovan protects the basket while we protect him...

Reaction Score
The WNBA money is not in the same league.
That wasn't the point but ok. Way before NIL, many players who could have left didn't follow the $ to go pro. DC may be on the old school path like those back in the day that enjoyed called life and also wanted to be closer to getting that degree

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So many people here are dismissing any type of decisions not based on money.

Yet, in the case of Hurley they dismiss any type of decision based on money.

“ No way Dan leaves, he’s a local guys his whole family is here.. money isn’t everything”

“No way Donovan can stay. Who cares that all of his family and friends are here and he’s a local guy. Money is everything”

My head hurts.
Add in the decision Luke and Kimani declaring they’re staying with the program and people celebrating that decision.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hurley has said if they are ready, he will make them leave the nest.

Hurley also acknowledged that he messed up with Bouknight and should have told him to stay another year because he wasn’t ready from a maturity standpoint, even though he was lottery.
That's a good point. Being a potential lottery pick doesn't mean the same thing as "being ready".

Reaction Score
You seem very angry about this. Why? Do you have some personal stake in it? Just because people disagree with you doesn't make them stupid.
Maybe he has money riding on Clingan getting drafted top 5 this year. I saw some book has Clingan +250 to get drafted #1, which seems insane. Meanwhile, Castle is +2500 (also insane, as I think Castle has a higher chance of going #1 than Clingan).

Reaction Score
If Hurley convinced Ajax to leave as a second round pick, he's going to convince DC to leave. I get people arguing he might have compelling reasons to want to stay in school, but if you are a parent you can't let your kid sacrifice 30-40 years post basketball for 1 more year of college fun.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hurley won’t let him come back if he’s a projected lottery pick (which he is). NIL cannot replace a $20M+ guaranteed contract. He needs to go make multi-generational wealth for his entire family and then donate some of it towards our future NIL to fund his replacement ;)
Aren't we forgetting that Clingan is his own person and he alone will make this decision because it IS HIS DECISION? I agree that financially speaking it is hard to imagine not taking this opportunity and a serious risk because of potential injury (last I knew the Lloyds of London max for injury by an amateur was $1 Million).

If Bilas said this notice that he does not do so for Castle whom he said will be going to the draft.

And if "Hurley won't let him come back" (that would be kind of stupid) he has other options (portal)
so let us all let DC tell us himself.

We should all respect the fact that maximum monetary rewards at this particular time isn't the only possible choice time in the life of DC. He's 20 years old and the risk of injury exists at the next level as well. So there exists the potential to get stronger with another year of college and perhaps extend his professional career. JC used to say this: I want you to have a pro career but I want you to have a long pro career.

The logical choice of risk vs. reward in the short term would be to go in the lottery now. But there are other risks and choices.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
... but if you are a parent you can't let your kid sacrifice 30-40 years post basketball for 1 more year of college fun.
How does coming back "sacrifice 30-40 years post basketball"?

Reaction Score
C
Clingan isn't going to get playing time in the NBA until he polishes his offensive game. But that bag is that bag. Need to get it.
Centers arent supposed to have any offensive game in the NBA. Just rim run on the offensive side.

Reaction Score
Clingan isn't going to get playing time in the NBA until he polishes his offensive game. But that bag is that bag. Need to get it.
No he will be asked to score points the same way he does here. He needs to mainly just improve physically across the board. Strength and conditioning and increasing foot speed.

Reaction Score
How does coming back "sacrifice 30-40 years post basketball"?
Should have said potentially sacrifice. With his injury history and the NBAs propensity to punish older players in the draft, it is a significant risk.

Reaction Score
So there exists the potential to get stronger with another year of college and perhaps extend his professional career. JC used to say this: I want you to have a pro career but I want you to have a long pro career.
Nothing gets you better prepared to play at a pro level than being a pro. He would gain a lot more spending one year playing against pros and prepping as pro than he would being a college athletr

Reaction Score
Start the clock ASAP. Get to your $200m+ extension ASAP.

Love the kid, would love to have him back obviously and maybe this will happen here in there in the NIL era but it would be absolutely wild if he came back.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

If Dan Hurley really thought Donovan Clingan was staying we wouldn't be connected to every single top center that enters the portal
Dan Hurley doesn't take unnecessary chances. He is where he is because he knows how to measure risks and be prepared with plan A, plan B and plan C etc.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to figure out the actual cost of staying in college for Clingan.

Caitlyn Clark was reportedly able to pull in about $3M NIL. She is one of the best offensive women’s players ever, and people love to fly the women’s sports banner. However, she seems a bit gruff personally, has no great backstory that I’m aware of (other than staying in Iowa), and is not hot/pretty/cute and her voice doesn’t soothe.

That stiff Bacot earns $1M. He doesn’t move the needle in any way to me.

Clingan is a VERY likeable dude (both personally and in front of a camera) that has the best backstory in the game. Beyond his family story, his loyalty to high school, state, and UConn while having many choices is incredible. Coming back for a 3rd could make him the face of the NCAA. So he would miss out on a ton of NBA money, but his NIL package should be incredible, certainly multi-millions.

I know nothing and anticipate him going pro. But if he doesn’t, he could still be VERY rich - and a god in CT forever.

Reaction Score
Aren't we forgetting that Clingan is his own person and he alone will make this decision because it IS HIS DECISION? I agree that financially speaking it is hard to imagine not taking this opportunity and a serious risk because of potential injury (last I knew the Lloyds of London max for injury by an amateur was $1 Million).

If Bilas said this notice that he does not do so for Castle whom he said will be going to the draft.

And if "Hurley won't let him come back" (that would be kind of stupid) he has other options (portal)
so let us all let DC tell us himself.

We should all respect the fact that maximum monetary rewards at this particular time isn't the only possible choice time in the life of DC. He's 20 years old and the risk of injury exists at the next level as well. So there exists the potential to get stronger with another year of college and perhaps extend his professional career. JC used to say this: I want you to have a pro career but I want you to have a long pro career.

The logical choice of risk vs. reward in the short term would be to go in the lottery now. But there are other risks and choices.
Hurley is on the record saying that if a guy is a lottery pick, he will essentially force them to leave. In hindsight, a guy like Bouknight needed an extra year just to mature as an adult, but Clingan is not Bouknight. There are zero red flags with him.

Would we all selfishly love to have him back? Absolutely. But you cannot pass up guaranteed generational wealth as a 19 year old. He'll have a long NBA career regardless of whether or not he stays one more year or gets drafted in the top 10 (unless he gets drafted by Charlotte.....)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wasn't saying that. I'm saying a kid with few responsibilities has a hard time knowing the importance of long term financial security when he hasn't dealt with the adulting stuff yet- We know it all too well. But when I graduated college, my dad said get a job ASAP and I said "nope, I'm going cross country with my friends" I'm glad I did.
Lol, my dad said "hey you're going be working a lifetime, if you want to bum around Europe for the summer I'll pay for that." I told him no because I had an offer and I wanted to start working. I kind of regret that, from time to time.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Reaction Score
Hurley has made several comments that DC’s days with the program are numbered. He’s not coming back and he shouldn’t.
I am sure he will make best decision for himself despite everyone on an internet form knowing what is best for him. He will never have to worry about money whatever path he chooses. By the way, the wealthiest athletes make most of their money not playing their sport. See tiger, Jordan, lebron etc. kid was improving exponentially over the last month. The face of a legendary 3 peat would be worth 100 million of more to his brand over time. Bilas is the best in the business, if he saying it then its under consideration. Remember he did pick uconn to win it all both years. My contention all along is pick up the phone and ask cooper of he wants to make history or suffer the consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom