Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back." | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s his and his family’s decision. Remember the pages of comments that he should leave Bristol central, trust then and trust now.

He wasn't getting a guaranteed 20 million to leave BCHS. They made a plan to work on his skill development despite the competition level barrier. It would be monumentally stupid to stay in college.

Reaction Score
If it wasn't for NIL and a threepeat this wouldn't even be a discussion, BUT...

1) he may not feel socially mature to join professional lifestyle and looks forward to another year as big man on campus going for history

2)if Hurley let him shoot 3's that could move him even higher to top spot next yr (doubtful, since scouts can see him shooting them pre-game)

3)I saw Armando Bacon doing commercials... Surely Kling Kong can make some increased NIL $ next yr. Not remotely near the 20 million bag, but enough to take out insurance on health. Have him battle Barkley in Godzilla suit for Capitol One next year. Much better than listening to Chet Holmgren sing out of tune every commercial break

4)His experience next yr in college would be better than if he goes to the pros to sit on the bench. I wonder if AJax and Hawk thought about this while our run was going on. But their bank account sure looked better.

At end of day its the multimillion bag now, or choose a probably better experience next year, maybe make history and gamble on yourself (& health) that even more $ is in future

I think mentally, right now, he doesn't want to enter pro world just yet, just based on his quote about gonna be weird not seeing cam and newton come into lockerroom. I'd say there is 10-20% chance he sticks around.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He doesn't see the need for 20mill$ that a 30+ BY with kids and a mortgage does.
If you think earnings should be distributed according to need rather than according to abilities, you are probably living in the wrong country. That's not how our system works.

Reaction Score
He wasn't getting a guaranteed 20 million to leave BCHS. They made a plan to work on his skill development despite the competition level barrier. It would be monumentally stupid to stay in college.
I agree that he should go. But let's just have fun. How about this: if he stays (which he wont) and stays healthy, wins a 3rd natty, becomes the face of CBB for the year (maybe even the decade) and then gets drafted same spot, same or maybe a little more guaranteed $$$. In retrospect, if all this happens, would that be stupid?

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Go pro and take online courses to get degree. Win/Win. If he likes college that much he’ll have all the money in the world to take a private plane or helicopter to Storrs for Homecoming, Spring Weekend, etc. Not sure where he would land but it would be epic…

Reaction Score
I agree that he should go. But let's just have fun. How about this: if he stays (which he wont) and stays healthy, wins a 3rd natty, becomes the face of CBB for the year (maybe even the decade) and then gets drafted same spot, same or maybe a little more guaranteed $$$. In retrospect, if all this happens, would that be stupid?

Yes. If by some miracle he gets drafted as high (he won't), it's just 1 less year to make 10s of millions in a sport where he's likely to be washed up by the time he's 32 if he's lucky. These monstar-sized dudes don't have long careers.

Reaction Score
Go pro and take online courses to get degree. Win/Win. If he likes college that much he’ll have all the money in the world to take a private plane or helicopter to Storrs for Homecoming, Spring Weekend, etc. Not sure where he would land but it would be epic…

My back yard may not be helicopter sized, but he could always slide down the rope like the Navy SEALS do. I got you DC.

Reaction Score
If you think earnings should be distributed according to need rather than according to abilities, you are probably living in the wrong country. That's not how our system works.
I wasn't saying that. I'm saying a kid with few responsibilities has a hard time knowing the importance of long term financial security when he hasn't dealt with the adulting stuff yet- We know it all too well. But when I graduated college, my dad said get a job ASAP and I said "nope, I'm going cross country with my friends" I'm glad I did.

Reaction Score
Donovan should do whatever makes Donovan happy. He's already making close to $1million a year. Money isn't the biggest thing that motivates everyone. If it was Hurley would be in Kentucky.

Maybe he wants to stay close to his Dad a little longer. Maybe he just loves UConn and wants it to last as long as possible. Maybe he wants the NBA and the cash.

It's easy to view one choice as right and one as wrong when you're making the choice for someone else. Donovan has given us an incredible amount of joy over the last two years and we should be happy for him no matter what he chooses to do. My only preference for him is that he looks at both options and does what is best for him and I will cheer him on either way.

Reaction Score
He is a different kind of man to even be thinking hard about coming back. It would be hard for any of us to turn down the guaranteed NBA money that can set up you and your family no matter what happens in your career. As a local kid with two national championships under his belt he can always find a way to make a good living in Connecticut. His mom was in the Bristol School system, maybe he has a long-term aspiration to coach. As an SU fan I remember Melo telling Boeheim he wanted to come back to school, and coach told him he did not want him to come back. Donovan would be fine either way but far better to be fine will a few million under your belt.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It would be a disservice to Clingan to have him back for another year.
No, it wouldn't. The paradigm has shifted, the old way of thinking doesn't apply. He's not leaving a ton of money on the table. Insurance will cover a catastrophe. There's an argument that leading a three-peat will generate more lifetime income and recognition than the pro year he would forego.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because Jay bilas said something off the cuff at the end of a statement and we go to town on it (I'm guilty too) Nobody here gave DC returning a 2nd thought before this. I think we all just want to talk about something other than DH and KY and the Bilas quote fit the bill. But so far it's innocent fun...
So is Jay Bilas crazy for reporting that? Not everything is “crazy”. I think this is fans being fans and the dialogue is actually pretty thoughtful showing a range of good points and perspectives. At the end of the day, we have no say. We all want what he feels is right for him.

Reaction Score
No, it wouldn't. The paradigm has shifted, the old way of thiking doesn't apply. He's not leaving a ton of money on the table. Insurance will cover a catastrophe. There's an argument that leading a three-peat will generate more lifetime income and recognition than the pro year he would forego.
I agree. We are looking at this with old eyes. I think he should go, but it's not like he's asking a booster to buy him a bacon egg and cheese. And I do think a 3 peat would give him more cache.

Reaction Score
So many people here are dismissing any type of decisions not based on money.

Yet, in the case of Hurley they dismiss any type of decision based on money.

“ No way Dan leaves, he’s a local guys his whole family is here.. money isn’t everything”

“No way Donovan can stay. Who cares that all of his family and friends are here and he’s a local guy. Money is everything”

My head hurts.

Reaction Score
Those posters who are adamant that DC will leave based solely on the financial considerations, are saying more about their life outlook than this current situation. Major life decisions should never be made simply on a “dollar and cents“ perspective.

Reaction Score
Stephon and Donovan will both be top 10 picks with one of them probably going to be a top 5 pick. Goodbye to both I hope they succeed at the next level

Reaction Score
So many people here are dismissing any type of decisions not based on money.

Yet, in the case of Hurley they dismiss any type of decision based on money.

“ No way Dan leaves, he’s a local guys his whole family is here.. money isn’t everything”

“No way Donovan can stay. Who cares that all of his family and friends are here and he’s a local guy. Money is everything”

My head hurts.
I made a similar point concurrent with this one. I should add that if any coach can understand if Donovan wants to stay based on family and personal decisions, it is Dan Hurley.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What’s exactly crazy or stupid about this thread?
People arguing their position over and over. Especially doing it when no one is changing their mind.

Make a statement, clarify it if challenged, and move on. Their’s no contest where incessant repetition establishes a winner. There’s no reason or value to argue down opinions. We don’t get paid by the number of posts we create.

I enjoy reading the diversity of opinions. The people who need to be right, the people who need to react to everyone who disagrees with them, remind me of toddlers whose parents were unable to guide their child from the negative behavior of getting their way with tantrums.

Reaction Score
Donovan at some point will have to say what his intentions are to Hurley, so Dan will know who to recruit etc. We'll find out soon enough if this is true or not.

Reaction Score
Maybe DC doesn’t want to ride the bench in some obscure city for the next three years. We all know he’s not ready for the NBA. Maybe he already has enough money where he loves being a big fish in little pond -who knows why? it’s his decision either way. When yer 19- 800k in college NIL and 5 million in the nba is the same thing. Both large amounts to a kid who’s living on raaammen and cheeseburgers.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Thinking Clingan will come back is about as delusional as thinking Hurley would leave for Kentucky. Bilas is just making stuff up and because it’s what people want to hear, they’re running with it.

Reaction Score
Clingan seems like the type of kid who's living the dream right now. Loves playing for UConn and Coach Hurley, loves being a college student, etc. He's put himself in position to make plenty of money at the NBA level and certainly should go pro, but I think he's having so much fun right now I can see it being an emotionally difficult decision to leave UConn.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
"Hurley won't let him come back..."

So...if DC makes the decision to stay in college....for whatever reasons that make sense for him...
Hurley won't offer him a scholarship for next year? Really? So...DC then has to transfer to another college?
Might get a couple of hundred offers. That seems to be what some folks are wanting Hurley to do.
Oft-times rationality can be found on The Boneyard...but no guarantee for sure.

Heck some folks not only tell DC that he must leave....but also tell him how he should spend his money!

Looking forward to HIS decision...hope it is the right one...for HIM.

Hey Blake, long time no see!

I think that's just a figure of speech. DH is going to tell Clingan that turning pro is the right move. If Clingan, after thinking about it, comes back and tells DH, "Coach, I know what you said and what the NBA scouts are saying, but I still want to play another year for you," DH will start doing somersaults.

I think there's a snowball's chance in Hades of that happening, but I'd start doing somersaults too.

While it's Donovan's ultimate decision, I think DH takes seriously his obligation to give his players the advice he believes is best for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom