Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The comments in these threads are astonishing. Thank god Clingan doesn’t have advisors from the BY, he’d be turning down tens of millions at a minimum to come back for absolutely no reason.

Reaction Score
Not sure on this one. The moneys def in the NBA. But he seems like a fun loving kid still perhaps not fully ready. Maybe come back and get one of those Lloyd’s of London insurance policies like the stars used to?

Reaction Score
Not sure on this one. The moneys def in the NBA. But he seems like a fun loving kid still perhaps not fully ready. Maybe come back and get one of those Lloyd’s of London insurance policies like the stars used to?
The guy is 7’2”.

He can develop everything else he needs elsewhere. People need to let kids go and stop hoping kids stay around for a threepeat. He already got you 2.

Reaction Score
Hurley has made several comments that DC’s days with the program are numbered. He’s not coming back and he shouldn’t.

Reaction Score
The guy is 7’2”.

He can develop everything else he needs elsewhere. People need to let kids go and stop hoping kids stay around for a threepeat. He already got you 2.
It’s obviously Donovan’s decision but imo staying is not in his long term best interest and I want and hope for the best for him above my selfish wants as a fan.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The guy is 7’2”.

I believe the best move for Donovan is to declare for the draft, but I don't get to tell him what to do. Nobody on this board does (unless Bill has an account here, and even then it's ultimately Donovan's call). If he has an insurance policy and wants to spend one more year on campus, he's probably sacrificing some money, yeah, but he deserves to make that call for himself.

I just hope if he does tell Hurley he wants to come back that Danny goes over all of the risks involved with that decision. I have no doubt he will do that. And lastly, we're 2+ days removed from the national title game. I remember Andre in the locker room last year after the championship game saying he was coming back. Once the emotions of the title game fade a bit the decision gets a little tougher.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The way he talked about how hard it would be not seeing Newton, Spencer and the other graduating players around the locker room anymore... mentally, Clingan may not have shifted into the mindset that he's leaving yet. We'll see if that means anything. Most of us would advise him to leave and take the bag, but again, it's not our place to tell him how to live his life. If he maintains college eligibility, he's entitled to use it if he wants to. What's Hurley gonna do, kick him off the team? That wouldn't be fair. You'd be forcing Donovan to do what you would do in that situation, partly because you think it makes your program look more attractive to spit out lottery picks as soon as they're viable.

There's also a chance that he's unsure about his physical stamina right now. He did have that foot injury.
Maybe it’s more attractive to some high level recruits to see a sure lottery pick want to continue playing for that program. Yeah, most of us see the big bucks. but you are talking about 19 or 20 year olds who will not be living the easiest life either for most of the year as a pro.

Reaction Score
The comments in these threads are astonishing. Thank god Clingan doesn’t have advisors from the BY, he’d be turning down tens of millions at a minimum to come back for absolutely no reason.
I've seen one, maybe two people here say Clingan should stay at UConn because he's not ready for the NBA. Most of us think he should go pro, me included. But there are imaginable reasons why he might be wavering.

Every time someone shows the capacity to see a different point of view doesn't mean they're adopting that argument themselves. Basically, you're implying that anyone who says it's his decision to make is telling him to turn down the NBA contract in order to hang out at Ted's with his GF and Victor Rosa, laughing at how their feet are sticking to the floor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Clingan ain't coming back. I think Bilas is just talking - that said, I think DC is one of the rare kids who TRULY loves the college experience and would stay all 4 years if there wasnt so much $$ risk. The kid knows this could be the best time of his life right now. We are so lucky to have had him here for 2 years!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
DC's foot injury this past season should be the trump card to push him into the draft if he isn't fully leaning in that direction already.

Reaction Score
I’m in the “he needs to go and will go” camp but as long as we’re engaging in unfounded speculation, I did note that at the post game interviews, Dan had Spencer, Castle and Newton with him. All guys that had just played their last game in a UConn uniform. Clingan was not there.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with anything said so far here, in principle.

I did lose a parent in high school though. I commuted to CCSU instead of going to any other school I’d been accepted to so I could help at home. It wasn’t really that though, I wasn’t ready to move away myself.

Donny still gets his haircut in Bristol. He’s only 20. We can’t put ourselves in his head based off the obvious financial advantages right now. Maybe he isn’t at the point he can live alone in Sacramento.

Reaction Score
Let me preface this by saying I think DC will declare for the draft but I would understand if he loves his current life and wants to chase the unimaginable, A 3 peat with his roommate Alex. He's still going to make a ton of money before he retires.

Reaction Score
If he were to return, and that’s a big if…is there a non zero chance that a certain creepy baby loving 2024 recruit de commits to join DC? Time to spice things up in here lol.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with anything said so far here, in principle.

I did lose a parent in high school though. I commuted to CCSU instead of going to any other school I’d been accepted to so I could help at home. It wasn’t really that though, I wasn’t ready to move away myself.

Donny still gets his haircut in Bristol. He’s only 20. We can’t put ourselves in his head based off the obvious financial advantages right now. Maybe he isn’t at the point he can live alone in Sacramento.
Thank you for weighing in. Your perspective is valuable on this. Sorry you had to go through that.

Reaction Score
I would not be completely surprised if Clingan returned but obviously do not think he should for financial reasons.
I have always felt that playing for UCONN is this kids dream and he is just having too much fun.
In the era of NIL he’s gonna get paid whether he goes or not and believe NIL could actually start getting kids to stay in school for an extra year or 2

Reaction Score
The guy is 7’2”.

Ugh, this comment bugs me. Everyone who says he might not be emotionally ready to handle the NBA isn't secretly hoping he stays just so we can win again. Maybe some of us are actually capable of empathy. I'd be fine if he stayed, chose not to play basketball for a year so his foot could heal more, and then entered the NBA draft. I'd bet it would be a bad financial decision, but I'd be fine with it. I want him to do what's right for him.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Let me preface this by saying I think DC will declare for the draft but I would understand if he loves his current life and wants to chase the unimaginable, A 3 peat with his roommate Alex. He's still going to make a ton of money before he retires.
The only reality for not staying is the risk of serious injury. These guys are not going to diminish their draft status and pay day by staying in college another year.

Reaction Score
Given his history with foot injuries, he'd be much better off turning pro now than waiting another year and risking another injury that would make him less desirable to pro teams in 2025.

Reaction Score
It's sad people feel every decision has to be about the most money. Guess Hurley should force himself to Kentucky.
Why can't Donovan stay in a college which he to loves and graduate? He's 20 making $800K a year (saw that somewhere) he's in a great spot, the NBA isn't going anywhere.

Reaction Score
The only reality for not staying is the risk of serious injury. These guys are not going to diminish their draft status and pay day by staying in college another year.
I agree somewhat, but if hypothetically Clingan stays another year, he’s gonna need to start taking 3s. I think teams are drafting him with the potential that he can make 3s at least at a slightly below average rate for an NBA center. For a 3rd year in college and a year older, he’d need to start taking / making them.

Either way, I seriously doubt he’s coming back.

Reaction Score
Guys, he's not coming back. He's a projected lottery pick in a very, very weak draft class. He has shown everything to NBA scouts he needs to. They don't care that he doesn't shoot 3's in games, they can fix that (or think they can based on his form, most likely). He's gone.

Reaction Score
Love DC attitude. Could have started at 95% of schools last year. But picked uconn understanding he would not start. Help bring 2 titles and impacted just about every game this year. Go make a dump truck of money and surround yourself with smart people

Reaction Score
Given his history with foot injuries, he'd be much better off turning pro now than waiting another year and risking another injury that would make him less desirable to pro teams in 2025.
Not for nothing.. but if I was in his camp, I'd have had an insurance policy for potentinal future earnings taken out in high school as soon as he committed for such a matter. I think he should go because he's ready and he's not really going to improve his draft stock any more than he already has by playing another year. But getting injured, while awful and would deprive him of getting to play professional sports.. I don't think loss of money from injury is as a big of a motivator people think it is. He may see what happened to Bouknight and want another year because the thinks he's not ready or mature enough. Who knows. All the staff and his family can do is give him the best information they can to make the best and most informed decision he can and then respect it.

That said.. I don't think he's coming back. If he does, great. If he doesn't, no surprise and hope he has a long, healthy and rich career. He's earned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom