Biggest upset ever? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Biggest upset ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'd probably put this game ahead of Harvard's win. As many will recall, just prior to that game, Stanford had two All-Americans (Folkl and Nygaard) go down with torn ACL's. Not only did that significantly weaken their team, it had to have taken a huge mental toll on them as well.

I agree. Harvard still deserves credit for an upset win, but not quite the stunning upset we saw last night.

HGN

Reaction Score
Any team can beat another on any given day.........EVERYONE just expected Baylor to roll over Louisville because of one(1) person...Brittany Griner. It didn't happen like most people thought. give Louisville credit. Let's not forget they have a record of 28-7 . So apparently they had beaten some good teams along the way. Maybe the Selection Committee had them seeded too low. Whatever , I just don't think it was that BIG of an upset.

But what it does prove is that once you get to The Sweet 16, no team is to be taken lightly or overlooked. I hope Geno tells that to the Team tonight.

I don't know what day of the week David defeated Goliath , but I hope David confines his rock throwing to just Sunday. And not on Monday's....:)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Most of the big upsets since 1990 are probably little remembered now, but here's a general rundown, with most involving #1 seeds. The biggest upset ever would have to involve at least a #1 seed, but there have been early exits by #2 seeds that were at least a bit of a shock. One not listed is the aforementioned loss by undefeated UConn team to UTenn in the 4th round in 1997. That team had won the BET at home by only 9 over an Irish team they had earlier beaten by 23, and the Huskies' 5-point margin over Illinois in the Sweet 16 game was the smallest of all the winners. Writing may have been on the wall there for the Huskies.

1991 - James Madison beats #1 seed PSU in 2nd round (first game for Lions).
1992 - SW Mizzoo beats #1 seed Iowa in 2nd round (Hawkeyes' first game), and goes on to beat #2 seed Mississippi in the 4th round.
1993 - SW Mizzoo beats #2 seed Maryland in 2nd round (Terps' first game), Colorado beats #1 seed Stanford in 3rd round.
1994 - LA Tech beat #1 seed UTenn in 3rd round.
1995 - Purdue beats #1 seed Vandy in 3rd round.
1996 - George Washington beats #1 seed UNC in 3rd round.
1998 - NC St. beats #1 seed ODU in 3rd round, #9 seed Notre Dame beats #1 seed Texas Tech in 2nd round, #16 seed Harvard beats #1 Stanford in 1st round. Year of upsets.
1999 - Duke beats #1 seed and reigning champ UTenn in 3rd round, Iowa St. beats #1 seed UConn in 3rd round.
2001 - Xavier over #1 seed UTenn by 15 in 3rd round. SW Mizzoo over #1 seed Duke in 3rd round sets up a 5-seed vs. 6-seed battle in regional final.
2004 - #7 seed Minnesota over #2 seed KSU in round of 32 sets up meeting and victory over #1 seed Duke in regional final.
2006 - BC over #1 OSU in 2nd round.
2007 - UMiss beats #2 seed and reigning champ MD in 2nd round, Rutgers beats # 1 Duke in 3rd round.
2009 - MSU beats #1 seed Duke in 2nd round, Louisville wins by 17 over #1 seed MD in 4th round.
2010 - Baylor beats #1 seed UTenn by 15 in 3rd round, KY beats #1 seed Nebraska in 3rd round.
2011 - #11 seed Gonzaga uses home court advantage to knock off #3 UCLA in 2nd round and advances to play Stanford in regional final.

Louisville over Baylor in 2013 still seems much bigger than all the games where #1 seeds were eliminated in the 2nd round. Harvard of course still has the magic game, though injuries set it up.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
One not listed is the aforementioned loss by undefeated UConn team to UTenn in the 4th round in 1997. That team had won the BET at home by only 9 over an Irish team they had earlier beaten by 23, and the Huskies' 5-point margin over Illinois in the Sweet 16 game was the smallest of all the winners. Writing may have been on the wall there for the Huskies.

That ND team made their way to the Final Four, so they were no slouches. But that BET game was prior to Shea Ralph's first ACL tear while the Illinois game was after. The team, although talented, wasn't the same without Shea.

2001 - Xavier over #1 seed UTenn by 15 in 3rd round.

I was thinking about this game after thinking about how Mulkey took the blame for the loss.

Reaction Score
The biggest upset ever would have to involve at least a #1 seed,

Only if it was a 16 seed beating a 1 seed in the first round. Looking at the up
Most of the big upsets since 1990 are probably little remembered now, but here's a general rundown, with most involving #1 seeds. The biggest upset ever would have to involve at least a #1 seed, but there have been early exits by #2 seeds that were at least a bit of a shock. One not listed is the aforementioned loss by undefeated UConn team to UTenn in the 4th round in 1997. That team had won the BET at home by only 9 over an Irish team they had earlier beaten by 23, and the Huskies' 5-point margin over Illinois in the Sweet 16 game was the smallest of all the winners. Writing may have been on the wall there for the Huskies.

1991 - James Madison beats #1 seed PSU in 2nd round (first game for Lions).
1992 - SW Mizzoo beats #1 seed Iowa in 2nd round (Hawkeyes' first game), and goes on to beat #2 seed Mississippi in the 4th round.
1993 - SW Mizzoo beats #2 seed Maryland in 2nd round (Terps' first game), Colorado beats #1 seed Stanford in 3rd round.
1994 - LA Tech beat #1 seed UTenn in 3rd round.
1995 - Purdue beats #1 seed Vandy in 3rd round.
1996 - George Washington beats #1 seed UNC in 3rd round.
1998 - NC St. beats #1 seed ODU in 3rd round, #9 seed Notre Dame beats #1 seed Texas Tech in 2nd round, #16 seed Harvard beats #1 Stanford in 1st round. Year of upsets.
1999 - Duke beats #1 seed and reigning champ UTenn in 3rd round, Iowa St. beats #1 seed UConn in 3rd round.
2001 - Xavier over #1 seed UTenn by 15 in 3rd round. SW Mizzoo over #1 seed Duke in 3rd round sets up a 5-seed vs. 6-seed battle in regional final.
2004 - #7 seed Minnesota over #2 seed KSU in round of 32 sets up meeting and victory over #1 seed Duke in regional final.
2007 - UMiss beats #2 seed and reigning champ MD in 2nd round, Rutgers beats # 1 Duke in 3rd round.
2009 - MSU beats #1 seed Duke in 2nd round, Louisville wins by 17 over #1 seed MD in 4th round.
2010 - Baylor beats #1 seed UTenn by 15 in 3rd round, KY beats #1 seed Nebraska in 3rd round.
2011 - #11 seed Gonzaga uses home court advantage to knock off #3 UCLA in 2nd round and advances to play Stanford in regional final.

Louisville over Baylor in 2013 still seems much bigger than all the games where #1 seeds were eliminated in the 2nd round. Harvard of course still has the magic game, though injuries set it up.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

:oops: Whole lotta Duke games you listed. :(

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
:oops: Whole lotta Duke games you listed. :(
Well. you gotta have been high ranked (usually #1) to be on the losing side of that list, and Duke has earned a lot of #1 seeds over the years. At least the Devils are also in for beating someone. Can't say that for OSU. But no one can beat old SW Mizzoo (now Missouri St) for being underdog troublemakers.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Only if it was a 16 seed beating a 1 seed in the first round. Looking at the up
Meaning that say a #15 seed knocking off a #2 seed in the first round would be a bigger upset than say a #8 over a #1 seed in the second round? Technically by the numbers that is true, but to be the biggest upset ever to me would mean that the top team or maybe one of the top 4 went down before the Elite 8, as happened to Baylor. And if Baylor had lost in the Elite 8 it might well still qualify for me as the biggest upset. The fact is, Stanford was not really a #1 seed in 1998 after losing its top two players just prior to the tourney, so the seeds in a sense do lie there. Nothing lies about Griner and Sims and company going down. They just lost in a big way, in the third round, as reigning champ, and as the big favorite.

When the Bears lost by 12 in 2011 to Texas A&M it was in the 4th round as is not included on the list above. The big surprise there was that the Bears had beaten the Aggies three times already, but we have since learned how tough it is to beat a team 4 times in a season. Not looking too far ahead, but hopefully that trend of the previous winner losing game 4 will continue if it by any chance crops up (cross fingers).

And maybe it was an earth shaker when #1 seed Iowa lost in the 1992 without winning a game, I just can't remember that now, and when BC knocked off OSU in 2006, I don't recall it being that huge a surprise.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is, also, highly significant that Baylor was not just a #1 seed but THE #1 seed overall with only 1 loss.

Reaction Score
Meaning that say a #15 seed knocking off a #2 seed in the first round would be a bigger upset than say a #8 over a #1 seed in the second round? Technically by the numbers that is true, but to be the biggest upset ever to me would mean that the top team or maybe one of the top 4 went down before the Elite 8, as happened to Baylor. And if Baylor had lost in the Elite 8 it might well still qualify for me as the biggest upset. The fact is, Stanford was not really a #1 seed in 1998 after losing its top two players just prior to the tourney, so the seeds in a sense do lie there. Nothing lies about Griner and Sims and company going down. They just lost in a big way, in the third round, as reigning champ, and as the big favorite.

When the Bears lost by 12 in 2011 to Texas A&M it was in the 4th round as is not included on the list above. The big surprise there was that the Bears had beaten the Aggies three times already, but we have since learned how tough it is to beat a team 4 times in a season. Not looking too far ahead, but hopefully that trend of the previous winner losing game 4 will continue if it by any chance crops up (cross fingers).

And maybe it was an earth shaker when #1 seed Iowa lost in the 1992 without winning a game, I just can't remember that now, and when BC knocked off OSU in 2006, I don't recall it being that huge a surprise.

Exactly. And Harvard was not a 16 with the number 1 scorer in the country that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom