Biggest Recruiting Hits? | The Boneyard

Biggest Recruiting Hits?

Reaction Score
Been kicking this idea around for a couple of weeks, in response to the very interesting thread about recruiting misses and getting our first choices.

Who are some of our biggest recruiting coups?

I’m referencing guys that came out of nowhere, we thought were going to another school, or that we went head-to-head with the other Blue Bloods for a kid they legitimately wanted and won? Doesn’t necessarily have to be someone that went on to have a huge impact for us, but at the time, what was the feeling around landing guys in battles like that?

I’ve only really been cognizant of UConn recruiting efforts since about 2009/2010, just being a somewhat younger fan (mid/late 20s), so for me one of the clearest examples is Daniels. Top-20 kid, Texas commit for over a year, then when he decommits it looks like UK or KU all the way. Then, out of nowhere and without even a visit, he picks us.

Any other major examples? Really interested in the times before I was as tuned-in to recruiting like the 90s and 00s. Rudy Gay, for example, I imagine could be one that fits this topic.

Reaction Score
Biggest ones for me were Daniels, as you mentioned (came completely out of nowhere other than some whispers we were talking to him), KEA (beat out Kansas after Minnesota de-commit), and Charlie Villanueva (also beat out Kansas, after Illinois de-commit). I remember once Charlie committed, however, we still had to hold our breaths that he wasn't going to go straight to the NBA. So we couldn't get too excited until that deadline passed.

Reaction Score
Chris Smith was big for keeping a real quality player from home not getting away. Then getting Donyell Marshall was huge. The team just had that memorable season and he capped off a big recruiting class. I remember he was linked to UConn at the McDonald's game and Calhoun closed the deal soon after, I believe.

Reaction Score
wasn't Jackson considered a strong Cuse lean?

Gavin Edwards is another one that kind of fits the question. AZ guy I believe, and didn't look like he'd leave the state...or even play high major D1 ball based on his coach at the time

Reaction Score
I remember thinking we had no chance of keeping Andre Drummond in state and was legitimately surprised/ecstatic when we chose us. Pretty sure all the big boys were after him and we didn't normally get that type of high-profile recruit.

Obviously, his year here didn't go as well as we would've liked but it was a big recruiting win at the time.

Reaction Score
Chris Smith was big for keeping a real quality player from home not getting away. Then getting Donyell Marshall was huge. The team just had that memorable season and he capped off a big recruiting class. I remember he was linked to UConn at the McDonald's game and Calhoun closed the deal soon after, I believe.
Donyell’s always been an interesting one to me. As I recall he was a top-10 prospect (based off I think one recruiting list I noticed in the Fab Five 30 for 30 lol), and while we’d had the Dream Season, we weren’t exactly “UConn” yet.

Was there any particular reason he was a late commit? Have to imagine that was a development in our favor at the time.

Reaction Score
Wasn't he a 5*..?

Yes. IIRC he was a post-grad so his ranking was a little wonky, but he was ranked in the 10-15 range at IMG.

Obviously he didn't totally live up to the hype, but he has had a very productive career overseas and was obviously really, really good during our championship season.

Reaction Score
Been kicking this idea around for a couple of weeks, in response to the very interesting thread about recruiting misses and getting our first choices.

Who are some of our biggest recruiting coups?

I’m referencing guys that came out of nowhere, we thought were going to another school, or that we went head-to-head with the other Blue Bloods for a kid they legitimately wanted and won? Doesn’t necessarily have to be someone that went on to have a huge impact for us, but at the time, what was the feeling around landing guys in battles like that?

I’ve only really been cognizant of UConn recruiting efforts since about 2009/2010, just being a somewhat younger fan (mid/late 20s), so for me one of the clearest examples is Daniels. Top-20 kid, Texas commit for over a year, then when he decommits it looks like UK or KU all the way. Then, out of nowhere and without even a visit, he picks us.

Any other major examples? Really interested in the times before I was as tuned-in to recruiting like the 90s and 00s. Rudy Gay, for example, I imagine could be one that fits this topic.
Donyell was going to Syracuse but then they were going on probation, then he was going to Maryland but they were going on probation. He stopped at Storrs after he played in the McD's game in Springfield and the rest is history. Villanueva was committed to Illinois but then Bill Self left for Kansas. According to Caron he verballed to UNLV but then Calhoun came into his living room and blew away Caron's mom, grandma, and Caron. Boatright committed to Huggins at West Virginia and then Huggins got a commitment the next day from Jabarie Hinds and Boatright went with UConn instead. Everyone had DeAndre Daniels going to Kansas but he committed to UConn without ever visiting the campus.

Reaction Score
There are many. Chris Smith was the first very high profile CT recruit of the Calhoun era that showed CT kids could stay home and thrive. Donyell Marshall is one of, if not the, most important ones. A McDonald’s All American that nearly went to Syracuse. Without him, would UConn have gotten Ray Allen? Without Ray Allen, would UConn have gotten Rip and Khalid?

Reaction Score
hurley has referred to clingan as a "do or die" recruit. could not let him leave the state.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Wasn't he a 5*..?

OP: "I’m referencing guys that came out of nowhere, we thought were going to another school, or that we went head-to-head with the other Blue Bloods for a kid they legitimately wanted and won?"

DD fits the bill on #2 and #3.

Reaction Score
wasn't Jackson considered a strong Cuse lean?

Gavin Edwards is another one that kind of fits the question. AZ guy I believe, and didn't look like he'd leave the state...or even play high major D1 ball based on his coach at the time
I never understood the infatuation some here have with Gavin Edwards. Average player at best.

Reaction Score
From a surprise standpoint, how could I answer anybody but Alex Karaban. @HooperScooper and I begged for a UConn offer for 18 months. He would post offer after offer from other major programs and nearly every other Big East school, nada re UConn offer nor discussion of any connection. Then wham bam thank you maam, seemingly out of the blue..

Reaction Score
I think Donnell might have been the biggest .He was one of the top two players in Pennsylvania.
I had responsibilities for a plant in Reading PA during his recruitment.
I was at the plant early on Monday
Someone brought in the Sunday Reading newspaper and left it in the conference room . I grabbed the sports section of course.
The entire front was a foldout picture of him in color. With a long accompanying article about his an achievements . .I remember being amazed that he was considering UConn. Getting him was unimaginable..

Reaction Score
Underrated one is probably beating out Rick Pitino/Louisville for Christian Vital (granted this was at the tail-end of the Pitino era and they had violations on going). He was pretty much an afterthought to the 2016 class and then ended up as the best player and a top-10 all-time scorer at UConn.

Reaction Score
OP: "I’m referencing guys that came out of nowhere, we thought were going to another school, or that we went head-to-head with the other Blue Bloods for a kid they legitimately wanted and won?"

DD fits the bill on #2 and #3.
Ah my bad, thought he was talking about lower rated recruits who shined. I don't read too good

Reaction Score
I never understood the infatuation some here have with Gavin Edwards. Average player at best.
I drive by is old HS occasionally. The thing about Gavin is he had the most unspectacular HS career. His coach , in newspaper articles , said he wasn’t a D1 player and UConn was crazy for giving him a scholarship. He was so under the radar that my niece lived in the same area but went to and was a cheerleader for their closest rival had never heard of him. That kid had zero buzz.
The truth was he wasn’t great but improved to a point where he started on a pretty good UConn team .
Played professionally for years , even played in the Olympics
With him it’s more about the story than the basketball.
Hilton is a similar story but he was 7’ in Hilton Units 35/36”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom