Biggest misconceptions in Uconn history | The Boneyard

Biggest misconceptions in Uconn history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
-APR (the real reason why UConn was banned from the tourney no one outside the boneyard will know the real reason)

- AD being a bust (totally untrue averaged nearly a double double in big east play)

I can't think of others those two are what really sticks out to me.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
That this wasn't an elite program prior to 2014 or even 1999.
This x1000. You go say anything to another fan online as a UConn fan and you are immediately reminded that basketball existed before 1999.

The truth they seem to conveniently ignore is that even IF UConn appeared out of thin air in the year 1999, what we have done since is more than 99% of all D1 programs have done since they played this game in a church with peach baskets.

Reaction Score
That Hasheem Thabeet was some unstoppable force, well the NBA thought so. He was very good obviously but he was overhyped I said it at the time he entered the draft, not his fault obviously I just didnt think he was worth the number 2 pick in the draft even at the time.

Reaction Score
The worst one to me is the stupid thought that we were on the bubble prior to Kemba's BET run in 2011. We were 21-9 with wins over UK, Texas, MiSt, Nova, and more. Even if we had somehow lost to DePaul on Tuesday, we were still 21-10 and probably get a 7-9 seed. We were a lock by then, regardless of what people say now.

Reaction Score
-Ben and Emeka being NBA busts

-Ray Allen being a spot up shooter

-Rudy Gay being a Uconn bust

Reaction Score
That we were left out of the conference realignment shuffle because UConn has no fanbase (except for women's basketball, of course), it's in a tiny state with no population, and the academics are mediocre. If UConn had any value, they'd already be in a P5 conference.

Wrong on all counts.

As for something more basketball specific, it bothers me to no end that people try to discredit our last two NCs as "lucky." There's no such thing as a lucky championship.

Reaction Score
The 2006 team was one of our best 2-3 teams ever, and therefore a huge disappointment.

Reaction Score
Not going to state my opinion again about the second one you listed but I agree with the Thabeet one. Any real UConn fan who knows basketball could tell he wasn't great and would never be good in the NBA.

Reaction Score
That THE dominant team in the Big East was some team other than UConn.

Fixed it. Watch that worthless 30 for 30 on the Big East and you'd barely know there were other teams in the Big East besides Syracuse and Georgetown.

Reaction Score
1. Maybe it's because I teach high school students in Fairfield County but UConn is still not recognized as a "great academic school" even though we are consistently a top 20 public university.

2. Every UConn student/alum outside the BY thinks Herbst is terrible and overpaid.

Reaction Score
1. Maybe it's because I teach high school students in Fairfield County but UConn is still not recognized as a "great academic school" even though we are consistently a top 20 public university.

2. Every UConn student/alum outside the BY thinks Herbst is terrible and overpaid.

1) Every older BYer thinks Herbst is a hot 3rdbass.

Reaction Score
That UConn is somewhere in Alaska. No , there were many back in the day that didn't realize that UConn stood for University of Connecticut. And even recently I was talking to some non-sports fan who made this same mistake.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That we were left out of the conference realignment shuffle because UConn has no fanbase (except for women's basketball, of course), it's in a tiny state with no population, and the academics are mediocre. If UConn had any value, they'd already be in a P5 conference.

Wrong on all counts.

As for something more basketball specific, it bothers me to no end that people try to discredit our last two NCs as "lucky." There's no such thing as a lucky championship.

2014 might be the least lucky Championship of all time. They went through a veritable murders row of opponents.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That outside of GTown, Cuse and St Johns - all other BE teams were 2nd fiddle
Take a look at # of BE Championships and tell me who is Nero now

That UConn was a bubble team in 2014 and 2016- both BS

That the NCAA and the current heads LOVE UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online