Big Ten Conference Season Tip -off. Who's #1? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Big Ten Conference Season Tip -off. Who's #1?

Reaction Score
Md. has experienced two factors this season which have impacted them, just as it has the past few seasons. First, let’s get the elephant in the room addressed, transfers. Md. has experienced too many transfers out recently. You cannot avoid that fact. I don’t know the reason for that. Maybe someone else does. She has done well with transfers in also, but let’s agree it’s a negative overall.

Second, Md. has had their share of injuries to be sure the past three seasons. Maybe not Uconn level, but close. So there is that. But if you want to rank WBB teams during Freese’s tenure at Md., her teams will be solidly top ten in that time frame, nothing to sneeze at. She can hold her head high and have some pride. She has had stretches of dominance in the B1G, and on the national scene. She doesn’t need to apologize to anyone. If anyone wants, we can post her yearly records as a head coach and compare them to whomever you like outside of maybe 3-4 coaches overall. Yeah, she is a helluva good coach and her track record does not say otherwise.

And that's why I asked the question. The article seemed odd because of her track record, good and bad.

The other thing that surprised me was the fact they lack a practice facility. Would not have guessed that.

Reaction Score

It's likely me, but I don't get Frese's point here. While I get dropping out of the top ten for recruiting classes may sting, how is a top 15 class bad? And considering some programs top 10 classes haven't turned out to be a great as they were supposed to be, should she really be worried?

They're still landing ESPN ranked players from what I can tell. Is it more pride than anything else? Love to hear others insight on this.
Maryland is still a pretty solid team. They are just facing a down year. They are led by an amazing coach. They will bounce back and be in the hunt again for a Big Ten crown. I did chuckle at the line about recruiting. They are still in the top 20 in recruiting. Not like they are small potatoes. As far as having or not having a practice facility, which they are getting one soon, here in Minnesota, the Gophers got a new practice facility and well we know how that story is going.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maryland is still a pretty solid team. They are just facing a down year. They are led by an amazing coach. They will bounce back and be in the hunt again for a Big Ten crown.
I looked at rosters a few weeks ago, Iowa, Indiana and Ohio St. all look to be gutted by players using up eligibility. But Maryland has several as well. I have no idea who the front runners will be next year, but the newcomers picked a good year to enter the conference. Honestly not all that crazy to think UCLA and USC could be preseason #1 and #2 in the B1G next year.

Reaction Score
I looked at rosters a few weeks ago, Iowa, Indiana and Ohio St. all look to be gutted by players using up eligibility. But Maryland has several as well. I have no idea who the front runners will be next year, but the newcomers picked a good year to enter the conference. Honestly not all that crazy to think UCLA and USC could be preseason #1 and #2 in the B1G next year.
It is going to be interesting to see how the Big Ten and PAC 12 teams styles of play mesh next season. So many interesting possibilities.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
It is going to be interesting to see how the Big Ten and PAC 12 teams styles of play mesh next season. So many interesting possibilities.
Granted I don't watch a ton of PAC 12 games (no PAC network here...), but I don't really see a huge difference in style of play between USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, and the current B1G schools. Am I wrong about that?

Reaction Score
Granted I don't watch a ton of PAC 12 games (no PAC network here...), but I don't really see a huge difference in style of play between USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, and the current B1G schools. Am I wrong about that?
I think a big difference that determines the style of play in the PAC-12 is the way refs call a game and the unfortunate inconsistency from game to game. Sometimes a referee crew will call very minor touch fouls that disrupts game flow and limits/depletes each team’s roster as the players accumulate fouls. Other times a crew doesn’t call lots of fouls and game play becomes more physical. The worst is when a crew changes it approach during the course of a game and both teams have to adjust or lots of players foul out or players don’t defend for fear of fouling out. People who follow PAC-12 WBB have their “favorite” refs to hate on. My awful refs list include Benny Luna, Kyle Bacon and Tyler Trimble among others.

It seems as if B1G refs allow more physical play which I prefer. I hope those bad refs don’t simply jump to the B1G and continue to call games the same way they do in the PAC-12.

Reaction Score
I think a big difference that determines the style of play in the PAC-12 is the way refs call a game and the unfortunate inconsistency from game to game. Sometimes a referee crew will call very minor touch fouls that disrupts game flow and limits/depletes each team’s roster as the players accumulate fouls. Other times a crew doesn’t call lots of fouls and game play becomes more physical. The worst is when a crew changes it approach during the course of a game and both teams have to adjust or lots of players foul out or players don’t defend for fear of fouling out. People who follow PAC-12 WBB have their “favorite” refs to hate on. My awful refs list include Benny Luna, Kyle Bacon and Tyler Trimble among others.

It seems as if B1G refs allow more physical play which I prefer. I hope those bad refs don’t simply jump to the B1G and continue to call games the same way they do in the PAC-12.
The lack of consistency isn't a PAC12 thing. BIG10 fans have their gripes about calls as well.

Reaction Score
OSU stamps itself as the conference favorite with its victory over Iowa, especially with OSU’s remaining schedule advantage. OSU meets IU only once, at home, and has already won at MD. IU still has to go to OSU and MD, and Iowa has to go to IU and MD. OSU does finish the year at Iowa.
A lot of symmetry in the BIG the past 2 seasons:

2022-23 BIG Standings

IU 16-2 (2-1 head to head against fellow members of top 3)
Iowa 15-3 (2-2)
Maryland 15-3 (1-2)

Home team wins all head to head games; IU avoids MD on road.
Iowa beats conference champion, who has little to play for, on last day of season.

2023-24 BIG Standings

OSU 16-2 (2-1 head to head against top 3)
Iowa 15-3 (2-2)
IU 15-3 (1-2)

Home team wins all head to head games; OSU avoids IU on road.
Iowa beats conference champion, who has little to play for, on last day of season.

Reaction Score
Not wrong at all. There will be teams that mesh well and teams that will probably struggle. In terms of physical play, pacing of the game, half court vs open court. It is going to be interesting blend.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Did anyone get a chance to watch Indiana? I saw an article saying Mackenzie Holmes and Lily Meister both had injuries in the game?

“I’m going to be optimistic” - Moren was quoted.

Reaction Score
I feel like EVERY conference thinks they are ~special~ in having the worst officials. Newsflash: all officials suck lol.
That's how I see it. Does a disservice to the games, especially with the great ones that have happened this season.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Hey Iowa fans - what's the impact of losing Davis?

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Hey Iowa fans - what's the impact of losing Davis?
-Makes it harder for Iowa to run off ball sets for Clark.
-Losing a ball handler who can attack a zone / box and 1 off the bounce and make the right pass (3:1 assist to turnover ratio).
-No longer having a true PG on the floor for the 3-5 minutes Clark gets rest (usually in the 1st half).
-A valuable floor spacer (40.7% 3p% this season).

Her minutes will be split by Affolter and Feuerbach who are already in the rotation but will be counted on even more. Taylor McCabe (48.3% 3p%) potentially gets another couple minutes per game if we are able to hide her on defense somewhere (depends on the matchup).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ohio State benefitted from some no calls on Mikulášiková in the first half, but the BS technicals on OSU gave Iowa 6 points. Might have been a different game without the technicals.
It gave them 2 extra points. The other was a shooting foul against Madison Greene and the other 2 points were taken away at the half. I'd argue that you didn't see if from the correct angle. All I see , making the rounds from the game is a 6 second clip from the baseline that hides Cotie pushing Caitlin away and intentionally walking into Gabbie Marshall afterwards. They showed that angle on the big screens at the game as well as seeing it transpire in person. You also didn't see her arguing profusely with the refs which should have warranted another tech and immediate ejection from the game.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain the Big Ten's scheduling philosophy? Ohio State and Maryland schedule aggressively, but that's about it.

Feels like everybody else is trying to game the NET like some mid-major conference. Unless Tennessee rights the ship, good chance South Carolina alone will have more nonconference wins over the end of year top 25 than the entire big ten.
The conference has several good teams each year so every coach is starting the season with a few losses. To make sure they still get a decent seed in the tournament they sandbag the non conference schedule which is pretty common. This season seems to have the PAC12 with several good teams but other than them the other conferences have been a little less than expected.

The plan does get them into the tournament but it doesn't get them ready to win in the tournament.

Reaction Score
It gave them 2 extra points. The other was a shooting foul against Madison Greene and the other 2 points were taken away at the half. I'd argue that you didn't see if from the correct angle. All I see , making the rounds from the game is a 6 second clip from the baseline that hides Cotie pushing Caitlin away and intentionally walking into Gabbie Marshall afterwards. They showed that angle on the big screens at the game as well as seeing it transpire in person. You also didn't see her arguing profusely with the refs which should have warranted another tech and immediate ejection from the game.
The 6 points is 2 from the tech in the first half, and 4 from the tech in the 2nd half, 2 on free throws and a 2-point field goal on the extra possession.

But the video from other angles about the McMahon tech has changed my mind about that call. Good point. I still think the Harris tech in the 2nd half was weak sauce, and that was worth 4 points.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
I really like Cotie McMahon but she needs help in controlling her in-game emotions. You can always tell when she's about to lose it, especially in the BIG title game last season when he threw Caitlin to the floor. Talent to spare, she needs a coach that bring it out of her in a positive way. Harris did overreact on the call she got a tech on, based on actions and words.

Reaction Score
I really like Cotie McMahon but she needs help in controlling her in-game emotions. You can always tell when she's about to lose it, especially in the BIG title game last season when he threw Caitlin to the floor. Talent to spare, she needs a coach that bring it out of her in a positive way. Harris did overreact on the call she got a tech on, based on actions and words.
Feel the same way. This ties into my thoughts on OSU losing composure. She hasn't figured out how to channel it in a way that works for her instead of against herself.

Reaction Score
The 6 points is 2 from the tech in the first half, and 4 from the tech in the 2nd half, 2 on free throws and a 2-point field goal on the extra possession.

But the video from other angles about the McMahon tech has changed my mind about that call. Good point. I still think the Harris tech in the 2nd half was weak sauce, and that was worth 4 points.
I love Harris and her passion but I think she got a little over zealous on slamming the ball then complaining. Not sure it warranted a T and maybe just let it go. The game was chippy throughout though so who knows the correct response.

Reaction Score
Spent the day at the Big Ten tourney. A few thoughts. The bottom-tier teams, in several cases injury depleted, are just bad basketball teams. Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota were just painful to watch on offense.

Reported attendance of 18,000+ for the evening session last night is a joke. Less than half that, and they didn’t even open the upper deck for seating. Iowa fans buying all session tickets inflates all numbers.

Logistically, for Iowa sessions, the tourney is likely to be a s___ show. Doors open 1 hour before tip, can’t stay in arena after earlier session. Iowa fans will line up hours before game and skip earlier session. Those of us wanting to watch both sessions today are in a tough spot. Not sure it will be possible to see the end of the first session and the beginning of the Iowa game. Selling large numbers of general admission tickets for a sold-out arena that will actually fill up for Iowa sessions is a really bad idea. The WBB Big Ten tourney has never seen anything like this, and they seem understaffed, unprepared and overwhelmed. When you talk to arena personnel and event organizers about how it will work and what to do, you are not filled with confidence.

Stadium vendors also seem unprepared. Desired food options were sold out before halftime of the first game of the evening session last night. But you can’t leave between games in the same session to go get food because of no reentry rules.

Hoping today is redeemed by better basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Spent the day at the Big Ten tourney. A few thoughts. The bottom-tier teams, in several cases injury depleted, are just bad basketball teams. Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota were just painful to watch on offense.

Reported attendance of 18,000+ for the evening session last night is a joke. Less than half that, and they didn’t even open the upper deck for seating. Iowa fans buying all session tickets inflates all numbers.

Logistically, for Iowa sessions, the tourney is likely to be a s___ show. Doors open 1 hour before tip, can’t stay in arena after earlier session. Iowa fans will line up hours before game and skip earlier session. Those of us wanting to watch both sessions today are in a tough spot. Not sure it will be possible to see the end of the first session and the beginning of the Iowa game. Selling large numbers of general admission tickets for a sold-out arena that will actually fill up for Iowa sessions is a really bad idea. The WBB Big Ten tourney has never seen anything like this, and they seem understaffed, unprepared and overwhelmed. When you talk to arena personnel and event organizers about how it will work and what to do, you are not filled with confidence.

Stadium vendors also seem unprepared. Desired food options were sold out before halftime of the first game of the evening session last night. But you can’t leave between games in the same session to go get food because of no reentry rules.

Hoping today is redeemed by better basketball.
Too bad all around, BIgTenGuy, if most of the fans share your thoughts. This should be a peak moment in time for women's basketball in the Big Ten but it might turn off more people than not.

Good luck! If nothing else, the Iowa/Penn State game could be exciting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom