Big Ten Conference Season Tip -off. Who's #1? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Big Ten Conference Season Tip -off. Who's #1?

Reaction Score
That would be monumental!

Probably need more than one outcome to prove the jinx is broken though.
Well we have data that your predictions don't always correlate into a jinx now. Let's see what happens for the balance of the season ;)

Reaction Score
Illinois blew the doors off Indiana. Huge win for Illinois. Illinois joins Michigan & Penn State for that middle pack in the Big Ten. Not sure if they get into the NCAA tournament but the WNIT looks promising.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
After many games out of the line-up, I noticed Sydney Parrish got some court time in Illinois.
She was playing awfully well in the beginning of the season and IU isn't quite the same without her verve.

Does anyone know why she was out? Injury? Illness?

If she can round into shape, that would be helpful. It's hard to replace a player who was as steady and clutch as Grace Berger but I thought Parrish, Moore-McNeil and Scalia -- together -- were taking over aspects of Berger's game. It's a tip of the hat to Berger that removing one -- Parrish -- could take the Hoosiers down a few notches.

On the other hand, where has this Illini team been, well, all year?

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
After many games out of the line-up, I noticed Sydney Parrish got some court time in Illinois.
She was playing awfully well in the beginning of the season and IU isn't quite the same without her verve.

If she can round into shape, that would be helpful. It's hard to replace a player who was as steady and clutch as Grace Berger but I thought Parrish, Moore-McNeil and Scalia -- together -- were taking over aspects of Berger's game. It's a tip of the hat to Berger that removing one -- Parrish -- could take the Hoosiers down a few notches.

They didn't explicitly say what, but she was out with a foot injury [wore a boot for a bit] that happened during a practice. She wasn't playing when I tuned into the game yesterday but I saw her face was red, so I'm sure she worked hard and was just on minutes limit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They didn't explicitly say what, but she was out with a foot injury [wore a boot for a bit] that happened during a practice. She wasn't playing when I tuned into the game yesterday but I saw her face was red, so I'm sure she worked hard and was just on minutes limit.
Per the box score, she played 6 minutes which makes sense. Ease her back versus pushing too hard, especially considering it's a foot injury.

Reaction Score

Re Illinois, no clue. Could it be like the groundhog coming out in February seeing tourney time is around the corner? :rolleyes:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Re Illinois, no clue. Could it be like the groundhog coming out in February seeing tourney time is around the corner? :rolleyes:
Jada Peebles went out with a knee injury, which I missed among all the other injuries in WCBB. That probably threw them off, given that Makira Cook was coming back off an injury herself. Gretchen Dolan, for a frosh, has stepped up as a sub and Camille Hobby and Kendall Bostic (how did MSU let her go?) have done good work together. Maybe, as you and the Groundhog might say, they could make a run in the latter part of the season.

Reaction Score
With the way this season has been going, could Penn State and Maryland make things interesting for Ohio State? Penn State is up first. Penn State is on a 5-game losing streak, but anything is possible.

Reaction Score
With the way this season has been going, could Penn State and Maryland make things interesting for Ohio State? Penn State is up first. Penn State is on a 5-game losing streak, but anything is possible.
The Valladay injury was huge for PSU. Valladay had played great in conference play. They have been poor since she went out.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The Valladay injury was huge for PSU. Valladay had played great in conference play. They have been poor since she went out.
Good intel, thanks. Is she out for the year?
Shame because, as you said, she'd been great: better than I'd seen her at either Marquette or Virginia. Third time appeared to be the charm. Hope she's able to come back in her last year of collegiate eligibility.

Reaction Score
Good intel, thanks. Is she out for the year?
Shame because, as you said, she'd been great: better than I'd seen her at either Marquette or Virginia. Third time appeared to be the charm. Hope she's able to come back in her last year of collegiate eligibility.
Yes she is unfortunately. No insight on her eligibility however.

Reaction Score
Watching Minnesota vs Wisconsin yesterday, I was happy for Coach Moseley, for obvious reasons, but felt bad for Minnesota. Wisconsin, never considered a really quick team, looked faster than Minnesota on everything! There was one possession where there was a rebound and two Minnesota players were close to the ball but they paused and let a Wisconsin player swoop in for the rebound. Coach Plitzuweit will definitely build on this season. We got the players here in Minnesota. Just have to figure it all out.

Reaction Score
Watching Minnesota vs Wisconsin yesterday, I was happy for Coach Moseley, for obvious reasons, but felt bad for Minnesota. Wisconsin, never considered a really quick team, looked faster than Minnesota on everything! There was one possession where there was a rebound and two Minnesota players were close to the ball but they paused and let a Wisconsin player swoop in for the rebound. Coach Plitzuweit will definitely build on this season. We got the players here in Minnesota. Just have to figure it all out.
Losing Braun really hurt their momentum. Based on how things were going, Gopher fans should be excited about the future potential of this program.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Losing Braun really hurt their momentum. Based on how things were going, Gopher fans should be excited about the future potential of this program.
Braun is still due to back this season I read, unless this has changed?

Reaction Score
Maybe, but it's getting late in the season. Initially they were being considered a possible tournament team. Their recent losses aren't helping them. Believe Creme has them as the Last Four Out this week.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I can't see Braun coming back this season. Watching her during warmups, she was knocking down shot after shot, but she is far from game ready. Her movement is limited and she could reinjure her foot or worse.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but it's getting late in the season. Initially they were being considered a possible tournament team. Their recent losses aren't helping them. Believe Creme has them as the Last Four Out this week.
I remember awhile ago Minny was in consideration for the NCAA but like you said, the string of losses and bad play, has pretty much moved Minny into WNIT or the WBI conversation.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the Gopher fan base is pretty excited about the future here in Minnesota. We see the potential, the talent, the hard work the players are putting in, and the coaching resume of Coach Plitzuweit. The future is bright.

Reaction Score
Well. Indiana pulled off a huge win against Iowa which opens up a little lead for Ohio State on the Big Ten regular season title.

Reaction Score

It's likely me, but I don't get Frese's point here. While I get dropping out of the top ten for recruiting classes may sting, how is a top 15 class bad? And considering some programs top 10 classes haven't turned out to be a great as they were supposed to be, should she really be worried?

They're still landing ESPN ranked players from what I can tell. Is it more pride than anything else? Love to hear others insight on this.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think Brenda’s problem isn’t bringing recruits in, it’s that so many leave after a year or two.

Reaction Score

It's likely me, but I don't get Frese's point here. While I get dropping out of the top ten for recruiting classes may sting, how is a top 15 class bad? And considering some programs top 10 classes haven't turned out to be a great as they were supposed to be, should she really be worried?

They're still landing ESPN ranked players from what I can tell. Is it more pride than anything else? Love to hear others insight on this.
Md. has experienced two factors this season which have impacted them, just as it has the past few seasons. First, let’s get the elephant in the room addressed, transfers. Md. has experienced too many transfers out recently. You cannot avoid that fact. I don’t know the reason for that. Maybe someone else does. She has done well with transfers in also, but let’s agree it’s a negative overall.

Second, Md. has had their share of injuries to be sure the past three seasons. Maybe not Uconn level, but close. So there is that. But if you want to rank WBB teams during Freese’s tenure at Md., her teams will be solidly top ten in that time frame, nothing to sneeze at. She can hold her head high and have some pride. She has had stretches of dominance in the B1G, and on the national scene. She doesn’t need to apologize to anyone. If anyone wants, we can post her yearly records as a head coach and compare them to whomever you like outside of maybe 3-4 coaches overall. Yeah, she is a helluva good coach and her track record does not say otherwise.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom