Big Ten Conference Season Tip -off. Who's #1? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Big Ten Conference Season Tip -off. Who's #1?

Reaction Score
Sorry, I didn’t mean “stepping up” as a knock to their previous efforts but I wasn’t super familiar with their games previously and in their senior season getting a new coach, that can be a challenge. They seem to have embraced their roles. I did check both players stats from last season prior to my post and saw a big jump for Ayrault and a solid improvement from Joiner. Last season had a lot going on for that team, so I may have missed buzz about Joiner. Thanks for info. Glad they are healthy and hope the same for Alexander, Elliott, and…the third player I saw in a boot.

All good.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
To the Iowa fans who participate on the board, what's the situation with Stuelke? Noticed she was listed as questionable and didn't play last night.
She's been nursing a knee/leg injury all season dating back to the Thanksgiving tournament, or possibly earlier. She missed a stretch of games and seems to have re-aggravated it during the Indiana game. Hopefully it's minor enough that yesterday was more of a load management decision so that she'll be as fresh as possible for the Ohio State road game.

edited to add: part of the reason her minutes per game is relatively low is that she's been on a minutes restriction much of the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is Iowa going to run the table in the Big Ten regular season?

Who’s most likely to stop theme?

When was the last time a team went undefeated in the conference? Maryland?
Iowa's been puzzling this year, but in a good way. I predicted they'd have 4-6 losses by now as Coach Bluder worked on assembling the pieces into a new team. So far it's been a case of 2+2=5 as the total exceeds the sum of the parts.

Right now they're playing great team ball: had 25 assists on 29 baskets vs Wisconsin last night. They've continued to prove me wrong so far this year, but I can't imagine them running the table. Two games each with Ohio State and Nebraska plus at Indiana and Maryland remaining; easy to drop 2 or 3 of those.

BTW, I'm really impressed with Sparty...they gave Iowa all they could handle in Iowa City.

Reaction Score
Is Iowa going to run the table in the Big Ten regular season?

Who’s most likely to stop theme?

When was the last time a team went undefeated in the conference? Maryland?
1. No. Iowa has yet to play a road game against a team likely to finish in the top half. Suspect Iowa loses 2 out of 3 to OSU, MD and IU on the road.

2. OSU.

3. Correct. MD 2015.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Anyone watching this game right now who could provide context?

I believe this is just a way of speaking for Wyatt. Emphasis is needed when reading it. Saying “hearing reports of ‘Mackenzie Homes’ out of Bloomington” is basically just saying she’s having a big game. She’s cooking.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ohio St. goes into College Park and comes out with an 8 point win. Terps really aren't in contention this year, strange to see. Looking like a 3 team race between Iowa, Indiana and Ohio St. And then quite a bit of intrigue to see how the rest shakes out.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Is Michigan State the 4th best team in the conference? I haven't looked at the current standings

Reaction Score
Terps defeat Illinois to go 4-3 in the conference.

Next 4 games for the Terps are brutal. @Michigan, @PSU, Indiana and Iowa.

Reaction Score
Terps defeat Illinois to go 4-3 in the conference.

Next 4 games for the Terps are brutal. @Michigan, @PSU, Indiana and Iowa.

It may not be that daunting. Michigan is up and down. Penn State has improved but they haven't faced the tougher teams in the conference yet, if my memory is correct. Tough games yes. Winnable? I think so.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It may not be that daunting. Michigan is up and down. Penn State has improved but they haven't faced the tougher teams in the conference yet, if my memory is correct. Tough games yes. Winnable? I think so.
Massey actually has Maryland as the favorite in 3 of those 4 games.
1705805086999.png

Reaction Score
OSU stamps itself as the conference favorite with its victory over Iowa, especially with OSU’s remaining schedule advantage. OSU meets IU only once, at home, and has already won at MD. IU still has to go to OSU and MD, and Iowa has to go to IU and MD. OSU does finish the year at Iowa.

Reaction Score
OSU stamps itself as the conference favorite with its victory over Iowa, especially with OSU’s remaining schedule advantage. OSU meets IU only once, at home, and has already won at MD. IU still has to go to OSU and MD, and Iowa has to go to IU and MD. OSU does finish the year at Iowa.
Didn't realize they only face IU once. That's an interesting subplot to conference play this season.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Didn't realize they only face IU once. That's an interesting subplot to conference play this season.
And it's in two weeks. Yesterday, Sydney Parrish was out on crutches. I don't think they have a full diagnosis yet, as I think she's getting an X-ray today but that would be another "wrinkle" in the plot.

Reaction Score
There is only three teams in the top 25 in the Big 10. The three teams are the only ones to receive votes. Down year for the Big 10 I guess.

Reaction Score
There is only three teams in the top 25 in the Big 10. The three teams are the only ones to receive votes. Down year for the Big 10 I guess.
Compared to last season, definitely but it makes sense. Both Maryland and Michigan are going through rebuild/transition phase after losing key players. Illinois - no answer as to why they're struggling.

Mind you, Penn State was there briefly. Not sure if they can again looking at what's left on their schedule. If they can upset OSU or Iowa, who knows?

Reaction Score
Yep. It is a down year for the Big 10. Not sure how many programs will sneak into the Big Dance. Nebraska, Maryland, Michigan, and Minny might get in. Just depends on what happens the rest of the season. I keep watching Wisconsin games because I am a huge Marisa Moseley fan. She just can't seem to get that Wisconsin program off the ground.

Reaction Score
. . . I keep watching Wisconsin games because I am a huge Marisa Moseley fan. She just can't seem to get that Wisconsin program off the ground.
Losing Maty Wilke to Utah may have been fatal to any hope for a Moseley-led turnaround. The Badger WBB disaster is on year 13 and counting.

Reaction Score
Yep. It is a down year for the Big 10. Not sure how many programs will sneak into the Big Dance. Nebraska, Maryland, Michigan, and Minny might get in. Just depends on what happens the rest of the season. I keep watching Wisconsin games because I am a huge Marisa Moseley fan. She just can't seem to get that Wisconsin program off the ground.
I'm perplexed by this program as well. They have a great post in Serah Williams. I remember her playing in Canada as part of the OSBA league. Thought they were trying to build around her.
Losing Maty Wilke to Utah may have been fatal to any hope for a Moseley-led turnaround. The Badger WBB disaster is on year 13 and counting.
Agreed 100%. Thought she and Williams would be a dangerous tandem for this upcoming season had she stayed.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't agree that OSU is necessarily the conference favorite. They did get the benefit of the imbalanced schedule but we'll see whether that translates to a 1st place finish. They already sustained a decisive loss to Michigan. Their inconsistency would hint that more such losses to the 2nd tier teams could be in the offing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom