Big Ten...Big Upset | The Boneyard

Big Ten...Big Upset

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Quarterfinal game: Maryland drubs Ohio State. Wonder how far OSU falls?

Reaction Score
“No nights off in the Big.”

One I hope I don’t need tomorrow.” It’s hard to beat a decent team 3 outta’ three.”

Reaction Score
Did Maryland win with . . . Gasp . . . Defense?

Or was Ohio State’s offense just THAT bad”””cold today?
Maryland was able to break the press and kept gaining confidence offensively (Ohio State's defense in the halfcourt is overrated). Ohio State didn't know what to do when the press was broken and weren't hitting their shots early. If Cotie and Celeste aren't hitting early, it takes them out of their games. Jacy can only do so much, and what she can't do is overcome the effects of two players who are off offensively by herself.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
OSU: I think they were up to #2 nationally. Losing at Iowa...no big surprise. Smoked by
Maryland 82-61...shocker. Don't think they have much of a shot at a one seed now.
Probably still headed for Albany.

Reaction Score
Welp. Was not expecting that outcome. I had to do a double take when I saw the score of this game. Here I am thinking Stanford is suspect as a #1 Seed. Here comes Ohio State. But this is the season where any team can get got.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I think Stanford is still a suspect No. 1 seed... however, they have been consistent when facing top opponents. And it seems like no other team aside from South Carolina is safe.

Reaction Score
Maryland (and Faith Masonius) sure picked a great time to play their best game of the season. Mcmahon need to play a lot better than she did this afternoon. She is too important for tOSU.

As for Maryland, Nebraska height is going to give them issues. However, if they play tomorrow like they have the past 7 quarters, they will go to the Big 10 finals.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
“No nights off in the Big.”

One I hope I don’t need tomorrow.” It’s hard to beat a decent team 3 outta’ three.”
Tennessee with Rickea is better than decent. That will be a tough game on Saturday. We need to take care of the basketball.

Reaction Score
Iowa happy to step in. 31-13 end of 1st over Penn State and CC hasn't made a basket.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Maryland appears to be peaking. Will be a dangerous team to face if their improved play continues. This is what many expected to see from Maryland at the onset of the season.

Reaction Score
What a day (yesterday) was! Maryland was the biggest upset. Nobody saw that one coming. Michigan, the same.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
What a day (yesterday) was! Maryland was the biggest upset. Nobody saw that one coming. Michigan, the same.
With Holmes (mostly) out, the Michigan loss isn't a total shocker. When I first turned to the game in the 2nd quarter, Indiana was leading
35-21 and was spreading out the floor for their guards to shoot 3s and drive. Then, it all went south: Michigan out scored them 48-21 in the second, led by Laila Phelia (30 points) and Lauren Hansen, who shut out whatever light IU might've had with two late threes. Daggers.

What is similar to the OSU-Maryland games is the margin of victory. Whew.

Also, Hansen is the much-traveled grad transfer (Long Island to Auburn to Missouri to Michigan), who has found a home and sympatico coach in Kim Barnes-Arrico (another Long Islander). I'm scratching my head -- because Barnes-Arrico recruited her out of high school -- why she didn't go to Ann Arbor after Auburn? Well better late than never....

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
With Holmes (mostly) out, the Michigan loss isn't a total shocker. When I first turned to the game in the 2nd quarter, Indiana was leading
35-21 and was spreading out the floor for their guards to shoot 3s and drive. Then, it all went south: Michigan out scored them 48-21 in the second, led by Laila Phelia (30 points) and Lauren Hansen, who shut out whatever light IU might've had with two late threes. Daggers.

What is similar to the OSU-Maryland games is the margin of victory. Whew.

Also, Hansen is the much-traveled grad transfer (Long Island to Auburn to Missouri to Michigan), who has found a home and sympatico coach in Kim Barnes-Arrico (another Long Islander). I'm scratching my head -- because Barnes-Arrico recruited her out of high school -- why she didn't go to Ann Arbor after Auburn? Well better late than never....
Dillon77, what was your impression of Coach Moran bringing in Mackenzie Holmes off the bench, down by by four with less than seven minutes to play to try to pull out a victory?

To say that strategy didn't work would be an understatement, as Holmes was disastrous, played 4 1/2 minutes with +/- rating of minus 12, zero points, 0-2 with two fouls and a turnover.

Moran was quoted in the IndyStar during the week as not going to risk Holmes health for the sake of yesterday's game, but it appears that when things were going to hell-in-a-hand-basket, she had a startling change of mind. The question I have is why and for what? Presuming Holmes was able to produce a Willis Reed moment and Indiana was able to pull out a win, the Hoosiers still faced potential back-to-back games going forward. Was she thinking that if Indiana made it to the B10 semis, they might be able to hang onto a top four seed?

It almost goes without saying that Indiana should not be hosting a first round game in the NCAA tournament. I'm guessing that the committee will give them a 5, 6 or 7 seed based on their overall season. IMO, without Holmes they are a bubble-team (at best). With a gimpy Holmes, they will be my pool pick for a first round "upset".

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dillon77, what was your impression of Coach Moran bringing in Mackenzie Holmes off the bench, down by by four with less than seven minutes to play to try to pull out a victory?

To say that strategy didn't work would be an understatement, as Holmes was disastrous, played 4 1/2 minutes with +/- rating of minus 12, zero points, 0-2 with two fouls and a turnover.

Moran was quoted in the IndyStar during the week as not going to risk Holmes health for the sake of yesterday's game, but it appears that when things were going to hell-in-a-hand-basket, she had a startling change of mind. The question I have is why and for what? Presuming Holmes was able to produce a Willis Reed moment and Indiana was able to pull out a win, the Hoosiers still faced potential back-to-back games going forward. Was she thinking that if Indiana made it to the B10 semis, they might be able to hang onto a top four seed?

It almost goes without saying that Indiana should not be hosting a first round game in the NCAA tournament. I'm guessing that the committee will give them a 5, 6 or 7 seed based on their overall season. IMO, without Holmes they are a bubble-team (at best). With a gimpy Holmes, they will be my pool pick for a first round "upset".
Yukon:
The only thing that came to mind when I saw that last night was that Moren was trying to buy/snare one win in the B1G Tourney in the belief it would keep them Top 16 (and get the home court). I can't think of any other reason why you'd go back on that announcement and possibly endanger your best player going into the NCAAs (See "Kitley, Elizabeth,").

Well, hopefully the move didn't backfire and aggravate the original injury for, as you note, that team only goes as far as Holmes does. Gives a bit of peek preview into next year, too, when Holmes is most certainly moving on: IU has a middle Top 100 forward in Faith Wiseman coming in, but highly doubt she'll be able to replicated what Holmes has brought to the mix. Guard play for IU will be fine. But Moren will need to find forwards in the portal to keep pace.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
My updated thoughts on the 1 seed race:
South Carolina-lock
Pac 12 Winner-lock for a 1 seed (USC or Stanford)

Clear path:
Iowa-they're a 1 seed if they win the Big Ten
Texas-should be a 1 if they win the Big 12

On the bubble:
Pac 12 Loser-Stanford/USC nab the last 1 if either of Iowa/Texas lose. If not, they should be the #2 in Texas's bracket.

If both Iowa and Texas lose, the Pac 12 loser gets a 1, and the 4th is a wild guess which could go to any of UCLA, Ohio State, Iowa, or Texas.

Side note--if LSU beats South Carolina in Greenville and both Iowa/Texas lose, could they sneak up to a 1? Might be a long shot but who knows.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
My updated thoughts on the 1 seed race:
South Carolina-lock
Pac 12 Winner-lock for a 1 seed (USC or Stanford)

Clear path:
Iowa-they're a 1 seed if they win the Big Ten
Texas-should be a 1 if they win the Big 12

On the bubble:
Pac 12 Loser-Stanford/USC nab the last 1 if either of Iowa/Texas lose. If not, they should be the #2 in Texas's bracket.

If both Iowa and Texas lose, the Pac 12 loser gets a 1, and the 4th is a wild guess which could go to any of UCLA, Ohio State, Iowa, or Texas.

Side note--if LSU beats South Carolina in Greenville and both Iowa/Texas lose, could they sneak up to a 1? Might be a long shot but who knows.
I don't think LSU's non-conference schedule was tough enough for them to get a 1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom