Big East Title on the line this Saturday! | The Boneyard

Big East Title on the line this Saturday!

Reaction Score
Possibly the biggest regular season game in the Hurley Era. The whole team is hungry for that elusive Big East Title! A win probably clinches it. Marquette #4 in the national rankings - huge game.
Does the Big East still crown the regular season champs as "Regular Season Champions" while the tourney winner is considered "Big East Champions"?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Does the Big East still crown the regular season champs as "Regular Season Champions" while the tourney winner is considered "Big East Champions"?
If we win, 2024 will be added to the list at Gampel I bet.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
What position do you play?

Booster, we all help pay the bills. Any questions? Do you understand how that works?

We're in the mix for number six baby

As for Saturday's game, can't wait to help bring it home

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes. All conferences do because the autobid goes to the conference champions by NCAA Rules.

Reaction Score
Without fans there would be no sports as we know them. Anyone who doesn't understand the concept of the fans being "we" is just strutting their ignorance. Sports fans pay for everything associated with their teams. If that is not enough, look at home and away records. Fans affect the outcome of game, it's called home field advantage. The players are aware of this, they openly acknowledge this phenomenon. It explains the success of large market teams like the Yankees and Dodgers.

By asking "what position do you play" you also leave out the coaches, staff and every other person who make the existence of the team possible. There is a old expression that applies. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. Silly, silly man.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Waterboy GIF

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I used to be anti-"we" in sports, but this is the flagship university for the state of Connecticut, representing all 3.5 million of us, plus anyone else who wants to get on board. It's we all the way.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I shame you for shaming someone saying we. Let people feel emotionally connected to their teams. Carry on.
In all candor, I get a bit irritated when one of our fans refers to the team as 'they'. I see that as intentionally distancing themselves from the the team.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We could just claim we have Covid and have the last 4 road games cancelled to win it outright too.

Ala Providence in 2022.
True, but those of us who value actual achievements would prefer to win on the court, not some administrator's office.

Reaction Score
Yes. All conferences do because the autobid goes to the conference champions by NCAA Rules.
I get that about the autobid, but actually all conferences don't do that.

The ACC is like the Big East.

But the B1G crowns the tourney champ as "the B1G Tournament Champion" and the regular season champion is "the B1G Champion."

This is in keeping with the fact that the B1G was the last of the big conferences to even schedule a tournament; at the time they didn't want one, they were dragged to it; and once they allowed a tourney to happen, they made sure that only the regular season champion would be considered THE champion.

Reaction Score
As Hurley says, it's "We Season"! The fanbase needs to embrace it, too.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
In all candor, I get a bit irritated when one of our fans refers to the team as 'they'. I see that as intentionally distancing themselves from the the team.
Some fans exclusively identify with their teams. Some fans exclusively objectify their teams.

When a team is successful more fans have a close identification with a team and use "we" and "ours" when talking about the team.

When the team plays badly more fans switch to the pronouns "they" and "them", or objectify the team criticizing a coach, player, team or program.

I don't have a problem with "we", "they", "our" or "them". I have a problem with people who can only identify with things they find successful and abandon or throw under the bus things that are going badly. These "fair weather" fans are what I find annoying. Given that I'm a lazy SOB, I don't know who is demonstrating this weakness so I just believe everyone is consistent in their tenor.

Interestingly, when JC was in the early stages of making UConn a successful program many posters took issue with the identifiers of "we" and "our" and called out posters who employed it. It could be a generational shift in attitudes but my opinion is that with the sustained success of the program more people have confidence in the UConn Mens Basketball program making it safe for them to allow it to become a part of their alter ego.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom