Big East spending/revenue | The Boneyard

Big East spending/revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only 22 schools among all Division I public schools operate in the black, generating enough revenue to cover all athletics expenses. UConn and Louisville are the only two Big East schools that fit that category among the six public league schools that provided information to the news organization.

There are many people better equip to analyze the implications and opportunities that come from having an athletic department running "in the black" but from a common man's perspective I hope this reflects the strength of the UConn brand and the quality of the University leadership.

We all want to come out of this at the big boy table, with a real chance to compete, and this tells me we're doing what we can at this point in time.

Reaction Score
There are many people better equip to analyze the implications and opportunities that come from having an athletic department running "in the black" but from a common man's perspective I hope this reflects the strength of the UConn brand and the quality of the University leadership.

We all want to come out of this at the big boy table, with a real chance to compete, and this tells me we're doing what we can at this point in time.

UConn, in 2010, did not operate in the black, which makes me suspicious about this idea that there are 22 schools that do so.

According to this http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ncaa-finances.htm , UConn has a loss:

Student Fees: $8,626,506.00
Direct Institutional Support: $5,951,523.00

The revenues already include donations. It's very difficult for me to figure out what they mean by guarantees. Also, things like debt interest on new buildings and facilities is murky (I know that UConn largely had these paid for either privately or by the state). Lastly, the figures don't include subsidies for the cost per student. Since most athletes come from out-of-state, you'd think this would be minimal but I don't know how much UConn charges out-of-state students in relation to the actual cost per student.

Just as a comparison, Rutgers is in the mid $30 million range in terms of losses.

The last study I read in 2010 that took into account direct institutional support and student fees showed that only 14 programs were in the black. But even in that study, someone showed that U. Texas athletics had over $250 million in debts being serviced by the academic side, which bit into their profit.

Reaction Score
You seem to mention those student fees as if its something that gets taken from the general student population and only goes to athletes, which i don't believe is true. All of the student recreation facilities and programs are contained within the athletic department's budget. And all students can use those.

"We're self-sufficient," said Mike Enright, athletic department spokesman. "We also support recreation, all the intramurals, for instance, in that total."

Reaction Score
You seem to mention those student fees as if its something that gets taken from the general student population and only goes to athletes, which i don't believe is true. All of the student recreation facilities and programs are contained within the athletic department's budget. And all students can use those.

"We're self-sufficient," said Mike Enright, athletic department spokesman. "We also support recreation, all the intramurals, for instance, in that total."

It's a murky question but here is where I think you are incorrect. If you do the math, you'll see that the fee for the AD is actually a fraction of the fees collected. Remember, each UConn student pays $2,500. But if you look at a lot of other universities, many don't even include this as part of AD revenues, and I'm sure those students still participate in athletics activities. The murky part comes later: universities have actually bonded out student fees. Student fees are actually rated by Moody's and such. Students are essentially paying for facilities and stadiums, etc., with those fees. So it's impossible to say where this stuff is going.

Take number of students, then multiply the fees they pay. The AD is just a fraction of it. But, if such fees pay for the students' own uses, then one wonders why it's not a budget item at many other schools.

Beyond that, you have to look at the $6 million in university support which still puts the AD in the red. Enright is simply talking about creative accounting.

EDIT: A .pdf I found on UConn shows $2 million of the $8 million fee is used for recreation for students. 26% of the budget comes from the university. This comes from the President's Athletics Advisory Committee.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
just imagine if we got a invite anywhere and the tv contract went from a hand job to atm every night. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reaction Score
just imagine if we got a invite anywhere and the tv contract went from a hand job to atm every night. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And now you know why presidents will do anything to join those conferences. The Vitales that see this as untoward or disreputable of academics should probably reverse their thinking, because the most reputable thing you can do/have is self-sustaining athletic department.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

I really wish I could like this more than once, haha. Beautiful use of a double entendre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom