Big East shopping for new TV deal - Game on (or no games on). | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East shopping for new TV deal - Game on (or no games on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Im not up on all of this TV deal business like the rest of you. But if The Big East decides to go with an offer from NBC does that mean we will never see another BE game on ESPN? Will we go from McDonough, Bilas, and Raftery to Tom Hammond, Dan Hicks, or Doc Emrick as the new broadcasters for the Big East game of the week? Im a little confused.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hockey isn't doing horrible on NBC. I would take chances with NBC if it means BE will get coverage on their over the air network. ESPN won't be able to provide that. ESPN might be able to provide money but there is no way they can match it coverage wise. I seriously think BE needs to walk way from ESPN due to its constant attack on the BE.

ESPN can't provide over the air coverage. Did ABC go out of business?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Im not up on all of this TV deal business like the rest of you. But if The Big East decides to go with an offer from NBC does that mean we will never see another BE game on ESPN?

Yes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hockey isn't doing horrible on NBC. I would take chances with NBC if it means BE will get coverage on their over the air network. ESPN won't be able to provide that. ESPN might be able to provide money but there is no way they can match it coverage wise. I seriously think BE needs to walk way from ESPN due to its constant attack on the BE.

I was being sarcastic.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Im not up on all of this TV deal business like the rest of you. But if The Big East decides to go with an offer from NBC does that mean we will never see another BE game on ESPN? quote]
Yes.
Better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven.

If staying with ESPN means that we have to keep being that network's b*tches, then I am all for leaving. ESPN has been actively minimizing the league while we were partners with them well before this negotiation was looming. There is absolutely no reason to believe that this will change. Any suggestion to the contrary is analogous to the abused spouse who stays with her husband because she's sure "he'll change." He won't and neither will ESPN.

We either need to accept crappy timeslots, sub market money, and active disparagement by on air personnel and on the internet or we have to move. Not a difficult decision in my view.

Reaction Score
I would take chances with NBC if it means BE will get coverage on their over the air network. ESPN won't be able to provide that. ESPN might be able to provide money but there is no way they can match it coverage wise.
Pretty obviously that would depend on how good the teams are.

Ok but while ESPN has tv content from several conferences NBC just has Notre Dame. Far more likely that NBC would show 1 BE football game on its over the air network per week than ESPN. I think westcoasthusky was implying that NBC can put BE games on over the air, espn wont. NBC can put all BE games on TV and none on the internet, espn wont. I cant honestly remember 2 teams that are going to be in the NBE being on ABC in the same day never mind matched up against each other.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ok but while ESPN has tv content from several conferences NBC just has Notre Dame. Far more likely that NBC would show 1 BE football game on its over the air network per week than ESPN. I think westcoasthusky was implying that NBC can put BE games on over the air, espn wont. NBC can put all BE games on TV and none on the internet, espn wont. I cant honestly remember 2 teams that are going to be in the NBE being on ABC in the same day never mind matched up against each other.

On October 20th 2012, 19 days ago - Louisville played USF on ABC.

Would you like to start over?

Reaction Score

Regardless the point still stands that NBC can put many more games over the air than ESPN will and NBC and less games on the internet than ESPN. Edit: And less games during the week than ESPN does.

Reaction Score
If you really can't understand how being higher up on the list of a network's priorities would mean they would cover us more than I think you owe your wife/mother some flowers for getting you dressed every morning.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Regardless the point still stands that NBC can put many more games over the air than ESPN will and NBC and less games on the internet than ESPN. Edit: And less games during the week than ESPN does.

It doesn't stand. I have no idea what you mean by 'over the air'. If you are talking about actual over the air broadcasts they have the exact same capacity.

NBC has no more cable outlets than ESPN. There has never been a single Big East game worth televising that hasn't been on TV.

If you don't like being on ESPN3 - you may end up missing the option when the alternative is no broadcast at all.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

ABC coverage map for USF and Louisville

Screen_shot_2012-10-17_at_9.33.47_PM_medium.png

RS9999X

Reaction Score
"Significantly lacking a National Presence"

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ABC coverage map for USF and Louisville

Screen_shot_2012-10-17_at_9.33.47_PM_medium.png

Yeah if you put teams on the field worth watching they will be on. Do you guys really think NBC is going to carve out network time for what this league is putting on the field now every week?

I give up. If you think this is Field of Dreams knock yourselves out. Build it and they will come. I promise you this is not the case. You have to have something people want to watch before you get paid and get this hypothetical platform you think NBC might provide.

Reaction Score
Yeah if you put teams on the field worth watching they will be on. Do you guys really think NBC is going to carve out network time for what this league is putting on the field now every week?

I give up. If you think this is Field of Dreams knock yourselves out. Build it and they will come. I promise you this is not the case. You have to have something people want to watch before you get paid and get this hypothetical platform you think NBC might provide.
when you say 'I give up', what does that mean?
Does it mean that you, a person with zero influence in what the BE does, will stop trying to convince a broader group with just as much influence into what the BE does as you do, from making a decision that we can not make.

Your tirade is getting old. Maybe you should give up.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
The plus with NBC Sports is the programming is putrid right now.

NBC Sports Network Adds More 2012-13 College Basketball CoverageRead more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2012/11/08/nbc-sports-network-adds-more-2012-13-college-basketball-coverage-539213/20121108nbc05/#KJRtqK5jrMC2bwiM.99

NEW YORK - November 8, 2012 - NBC Sports Network has added the Governor's Holiday Hoops Classic, two additional Atlantic 10 games and three new Colonial Athletic Association matchups to its 2012-13 telecast schedule, bringing its total to more than 60 college basketball games this season.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Wait a minute now. I wasn't going to chime in, but you hit Husky10 with an ABC game to try to drive home your point (you even asked him if he would like to "start over"), and now that RS9999X essentially hit you back with the coverage map of the game, you are going to talk about the quality of the teams???

Just admit it: the argument that Husky10 put forward (if I understood it properly) was that NBC may be able to offer better national exposure to the ESPN/ABC lineup currently offered to the Big East. Even though you seemed to "de-bunk" that argument, it seems that the argument still holds some water, right?

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Wait a minute now. I wasn't going to chime in, but you hit Husky10 with an ABC game to try to drive home your point (you even asked him if he would like to "start over"), and now that RS9999X essentially hit you back with the coverage map of the game, you are going to talk about the quality of the teams???

Just admit it: the argument that Husky10 put forward (if I understood it properly) was that NBC may be able to offer better national exposure to the ESPN/ABC lineup currently offered to the Big East. Even though you seemed to "de-bunk" that argument, it seems that the argument still holds some water, right?

Right now there are 60 games and 4 tourneys getting better national coverage than the NBE in basketball through NBCSports. Of course when it's all said and done its money. SNY will get their share no matter who wins. NBCSports would be nice for UConn fans that's for sure.

I don't see how NBC passes with Comcast driving this merger bus and with many Comcast mouths to feed in the SportsNet networks and NBCSports.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
when you say 'I give up', what does that mean?
Does it mean that you, a person with zero influence in what the BE does, will stop trying to convince a broader group with just as much influence into what the BE does as you do, from making a decision that we can not make.

Your tirade is getting old. Maybe you should give up.

I give up arguing. There are benefits to leaving ESPN. Those who have wrapped themselves in NBC glory refuse go see the downside.

I am anti-NBC and still admit the advantages they provide and am impressed they got the Premier League.
When you are arguing that ESPN doesn't provide an ability to be over the air and doesn't provide enough televised options you are either clueless or being intentionally obtuse so what's the point.

Reaction Score
I think whaler is giving up on trying to explain to you guys that the Big East simply isn't worth what most of you think it is. It has nothing to do with making decisions, but managing expectations.

If the teams were good, and the games were compelling, ESPN would broadcast them, not bury them. But the teams aren't, and the games aren't. NBC sports currently has some MWC games, CAA games, and CFL games. That's what we're being relegated to. The big boys are on ESPN (ABC), Fox, and CBS. We're going to be broadcast partners with the MWC and CAA.

It's not like the other networks didn't know that the big east was going to be available. They just aren't interested. NBC is the only one interested because as bad as the conference is, it's a step up from the CAA. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yes, if you think NBC is going to provide over the air coverage to dogshit games that is crazy.

NBC and ABC have the same ability to provide national coverage. That ABC doesn't distribute bad games nationally over the air doesn't speak to their capacity - it speaks to the quality of the game. You do realize that ABC and ESPN provide those games to almost everyone right? That coverage map only shows ABC - it gets mirrored on ESPN and ESPN2.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think whaler is giving up on trying to explain to you guys that the Big East simply isn't worth what most of you think it is. It has nothing to do with making decisions, but managing expectations.

If the teams were good, and the games were compelling, ESPN would broadcast them, not bury them. But the teams aren't, and the games aren't. NBC sports currently has some MWC games, CAA games, and CFL games. That's what we're being relegated to. The big boys are on ESPN (ABC), Fox, and CBS. We're going to be broadcast partners with the MWC and CAA.

It's not like the other networks didn't know that the big east was going to be available. They just aren't interested. NBC is the only one interested because as bad as the conference is, it's a step up from the CAA. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

They don't even bury them. UConn/Syracuse and UConn/Pitt are awful matchups - no one would watch them on Saturday on some mishmash of Comcast RSNs - they are going to be seen by a few million more than any NBC platform would afford. Unless you are demented enough to think NBC is putting games like that on nationally on Saturday afternoon.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yes, if you think NBC is going to provide over the air coverage to dog**** games that is crazy.

NBC and ABC have the same ability to provide national coverage. That ABC doesn't distribute bad games nationally over the air doesn't speak to their capacity - it speaks to the quality of the game. You do realize that ABC and ESPN provide those games to almost everyone right? That coverage map only shows ABC - it gets mirrored on ESPN and ESPN2.

Of course it doesn't speak to ABC's capacity!!! But as was alluded to previously by Husky10, it speaks to THEIR INVENTORY! This is not a hard concept to understand, really. ABC has other games that it can air in other regions of the map. NBC does not. That was the whole ideology behind bracketing national games around the Notre Dame game for NBC. And Louisville vs. USF is not a dog**** game, I don't care how you slice it. Louisville is a top10 team right now, and was certainly well ranked when ABC aired them in October. I'm sure that ABC aired some ACC games that could be classified as dog****, but this Big East game was not.

Am I arguing that NBC is going to pay us 20 million each and make us household names throughout America? No. I don't think anyone here is. But I will most certainly argue the fact that Big East football is still a good brand of football, and if we become NBC's only inventory, we will be on the main channel a hell of a lot more than we are now, no question about it...

Reaction Score

The quality of the teams is the reason the coverage map looks the way it looks. His point is he doesn't think NBC would put that game on NBC either. It would end up on NBCSN at best. I think NBCSN was broadcasting MLS playoff game at the time. Probably wouldn't bump MLS playoffs for big east regular season games.

His point makes sense. At least with ESPN there were 9 games available on ESPN3 at 3:30, including Rutgers, and the USF/Louisville game wherever it wasn't on ABC.

There are advantages to both, but thinking NBC is going to be a cash windfall and savior of the league is premature. We are as likely to have less access to UConn games due to the lack of internet option, and more teams joining the conference. All that content that people keep talking about is competition for UConn to get airtime. Hopefully SNY can make arrangements and we aren't stuck with no TV certain weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom