Big East Preseason Awards & Coaches' Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Preseason Awards & Coaches' Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I also noticed that Kelly is not on any of the all big east teams. I can't argue with that preseason given her scoring numbers have never averaged over 10 PPG. She may end up defensive POY, and if she can average over 10 PPG I think will get some good consideration for BE honors. However, that's a really tall order given the amount of scoring talent on this team.

“If Kaleena understands throughout the year that making shots is just a small part of basketball and that doing all the other things is a huge part, she’s got a chance to be really, really good,” Auriemma said.

I think this quote sums up why he loves Kelly - if she did the scoring as well, everyone else would also love her :D

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
What struck me was how "Guard heavy" the preseason selections were. Yet UConn weighs in with one G, one F and one C on the All-Big East, along with an extremely versatile FOY. Some, including me, think Guards are most important to a team because they handle the ball the most, but our unique, only-one-of-its-kind excellence at all positions will have us absolutely dominating the Big East this year. I'm with esd and others, if we maintain our health it won't be pretty (to other teams).

Reaction Score
I think Anna Martin was one of two Big East preseason unanimous selections last year and Faris held her scoreless in Chicago. 05 MARTIN, Anna........ g 0-6 0-5 0-0 1 2 3 3 0 3 4 0 2 30

Sugar scored 10 points on 13 shots last year. I don't think Kelly has anything to prove defensively.

Let me add this, I think Kelly getting back to her natural defensive position up front will make it even more likely that she WILL earn BE DPOY this year.

While all this enhances Ms Faris' profile, it should be noted that UConn's reputation, defensively, is as a team. Despite perenially leading the Big East and the nation in team defense, UConn has only produced two Big East Defensive Players of the Year.

Putting Kelly out front defensively may also hurt her chances if, say, she is matched up against Skylar Diggins on national televsion and Ms Diggins has another career game against UConn. That said, it is a challenge that should be welcomed.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
While true, there has not been an opponent since Chamique Holdsclaw from whom UConn has received as many thorns. Her 28 points in the National Semifinal two seasons ago will forever adorn UConn's Media Guide as the second best such effort.

Kelly Faris is a fantastic defender and probably should win Big East Defensive Player of the Year. However, there are few Big East opponents against whom to prove her mettle. If she leads the league in steals, then she wins going away. Last year's leader, though, is still in the league. If Faris is matched up against Sugar Rodgers and holds her significantly below her career scoring average, then Ms Faris, again, should win going away.

Leading in steals does not make the best defender, think Angel McCoughtry. I thought Mallory was ND's best defender but Peters won because she blocked a lot of shots. Coaches naturally look for a stat to justify a pick because it's easy.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hoopfeed on the polls and awards

http://wp.me/pwd9L-5ze

Thanks David. I still can not get my head around the fact that 2 BE coaches actually picked ND to finish first.

I remember 3 or so years ago there was one coach who didn't pick UConn to finish first and I think it was Jamelle's predecessor at Cinn (Hall was his name I think). He eventually came clean and admitted how he screwed up. It doesn't really matter in the scheme of things but I would love to hear the rationale for picking UConn to finish 2nd to ND this season. Skylar Diggins is great and McBride is really good, but UConn is loaded at all positions.

Reaction Score
We've seen it in national polls and I think coaches sometimes keep the mentality of "its theirs until someone takes it away". Didn't UConn get some 1st place preseason votes in the national poll last year and that was the reason given? Of course UConn should win going away this year, but strange things happen in these polls. I was surprised last year when it was a 7-6 split (i think, if not close) between ND and UConn. I thought what UConn loss far outweighed what ND loss.

Faris was a victim of UConn's success. With 3 players on the 1st team and PFOY there aren't a lot of coaches likely to put a 5th name on a ballot. Mallory had nearly the same success with guarding the other teams best players and she never got so much as a sniff or even a veiled mention of possibly being worthy of any All BE spot not alone 1st team. Defense is appreciated but stats are awarded. Rodgers is a good case in point. She won FOY because of her scoring line on a team that she was a volume shooter. Not sure there is a player that's a "glaring" omission, but there are some players that are going to put up some great stat lines and may not make the teams because of the need to spread it around. DePaul's Harry and Penny will put up some good scoring and rebounding numbers this season. McBride is likely to lead ND in scoring. She might be the least heralded player in the BE.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I understand why Diggins is picked preseason, but not confident she will be the award winner by season end!! I think her role will drastically change this year as she will likely be the primary scoring option. Just a guess!

Let the season begin!

Reaction Score
Leading in steals does not make the best defender, think Angel McCoughtry. I thought Mallory was ND's best defender but Peters won because she blocked a lot of shots. Coaches naturally look for a stat to justify a pick because it's easy.

Ms McCoughtry was, in fact, the 2009 Big East Defensive Player of the Year. She led the Big East in scoring, rebounds, and steals three consecutive seasons.

While I agree that being a steals leader or a leading shot blocker does not make one the best defender, having the stats is what gets the votes for the awards; Especially when the voters do not see the players night in and night out.

Last year, in addition to blocking a lot of shots, Devereaux Peters was the league's second leading rebounder on a team that finished atop the standings.

Reaction Score
No one from Notre Dame is having a career day against Uconn this year. Breanna isn't to bad at help defense and with Geno teaching will only get better. Skylar might find a lot of shots from all places on the floor coming back at her.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I think it's a pretty good bet that Kelly Faris is going to be playing basketball at the highest level a lot longer than most of the people on that honors list. But, it's not surprising she wasn't mentioned at the BE show. Hell, she doesn't even get the recognition she deserves HERE in the BY, though this thread does show many do appreciate her value.
Defensive POY? Nice thought, but let's not pigeonhole her as a defensive player. She a great rebounder and is a superb assist person, really valuable with the offensive flow. Then of course, there's the hustle factor ... continuing the UConn legacy of finding such players.

Reaction Score
No one else in the country will be bringing off the bench a player, who in 4 yrs might be one of the 5 best to ever play the game. Breanna never started for the USA teams until the knockout rounds, and could care less as long as they win. She knew when she chose Uconn she wouldn't start as a freshman, the reason she stated at the time, was she wanted to become the best player she could be, and Geno and Uconn were where that will happen.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
McBride is likely to lead ND in scoring. She might be the least heralded player in the BE.

I'm not buying it. McBride is a terrific player and I don't know anyone that doesn't know that.

Just because she didn't make a BE pre-season team doesn't mean she is not heralded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom