Big East Preseason Awards & Coaches' Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Really Rutgers 5th? A bit too low imo.

Reaction Score
Three coaches think ND can lose three exceptionally experienced senior starters and still be the best team in the conference?

The team with the best player will usually get that kind of consideration. Think 2002-2003.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Bria, Stef, and KML are first team all BE preseason. Breanna top frosh.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The team with the best player will usually get that kind of consideration. Think 2002-2003.
Skyler Diggins is not Diana Taurasi. By any stretch of the imagination.

And in 2002, there simply wasn't anyone else in the league that was the kind of powerhouse Uconn is in 2012. I wasn't super optimistic going into that season, but you could have had Uconn as #1 by default.

Reaction Score
Wow, Skylar was NOT a unanimous selection for player of the year, interesting.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not surprised that Skylar was not a unanimous selection. ND lost three very talented players that allowed Skylar to do many things on the court. Who is going to step up and replace those three?

Not saying she is not talented, she is. But without that talent around you, your game is not the same. ND has questions to answer for this season. Time will tell.

And the BE has many talented ladies who can challenge for POY. Bria is one of them as is Sugar Rodgers.

Reaction Score
Skyler Diggins is not Diana Taurasi. By any stretch of the imagination.

And in 2002, there simply wasn't anyone else in the league that was the kind of powerhouse Uconn is in 2012. I wasn't super optimistic going into that season, but you could have had Uconn as #1 by default.

While true, there has not been an opponent since Chamique Holdsclaw from whom UConn has received as many thorns. Her 28 points in the National Semifinal two seasons ago will forever adorn UConn's Media Guide as the second best such effort.

Kelly Faris is a fantastic defender and probably should win Big East Defensive Player of the Year. However, there are few Big East opponents against whom to prove her mettle. If she leads the league in steals, then she wins going away. Last year's leader, though, is still in the league. If Faris is matched up against Sugar Rodgers and holds her significantly below her career scoring average, then Ms Faris, again, should win going away.

Reaction Score
:mad:
Three coaches think ND can lose three exceptionally experienced senior starters and still be the best team in the conference?

Alex, and anyone else who watches WBB! This is bizarre to me ! I would love to know who the 3 Coaches are:eek: You are right !

We lost Hayes,they lost Peters 5th year SR,Novosol SR
and Mallory 5th year SR, and add Loyd,Mabry,and Huffman! We add #1 Stewart,#2 Mo,and #4 Morgan who are not even going to start joining Kiah,Banks,and Buck coming off the bench! The "reserves" would be better than NDs starting 5 in my opinion and 3 Coaches pick ND? Incredible!

CD,Bria,Steph,KML.and Kelly. Starting 5!!! No respect for Kelly!!!!

This is going to be a fun year "running ND off the floor" and going undefeared in the BE and tearing up everyone/anyone in the BE Tournament!
Ira

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Only 2. Geno can't vote for UConn.
I get why Geno may have voted for ND, but 2 other BE coaches are on crack. Not to sound overly confident, but I cannot wait to play ND this year. Do we get em twice? Probably. Two chances to beat them senseless. Diggins, Mallory and Achonwa are all very good to great. But who will the other starters be? Bracker and Wright are their other forwards (I'd guess Markesha Wright starts) and then the entire rest of the roster is guards. Maybe they start 4 guards. do they start the freshmen? Maybery and Loyd are both terrific. maybe one or both start?

Still, anyone who really thinks ND will even get to within 10 points of UCONN has been hittin the sauce. In fact, I think we beat them by at least 20 points every game we face them. Maybe I'm a tad overconfident, but I really think we are that much better than ND this year...

I also noticed that Kelly is not on any of the all big east teams. I can't argue with that preseason given her scoring numbers have never averaged over 10 PPG. She may end up defensive POY, and if she can average over 10 PPG I think will get some good consideration for BE honors. However, that's a really tall order given the amount of scoring talent on this team.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
While true, there has not been an opponent since Chamique Holdsclaw from whom UConn has received as many thorns. Her 28 points in the National Semifinal two seasons ago will forever adorn UConn's Media Guide as the second best such effort.

Kelly Faris is a fantastic defender and probably should win Big East Defensive Player of the Year. However, there are few Big East opponents against whom to prove her mettle. If she leads the league in steals, then she wins going away. Last year's leader, though, is still in the league. If Faris is matched up against Sugar Rodgers and holds her significantly below her career scoring average, then Ms Faris, again, should win going away.

I think Anna Martin was one of two Big East preseason unanimous selections last year and Faris held her scoreless in Chicago. 05 MARTIN, Anna........ g 0-6 0-5 0-0 1 2 3 3 0 3 4 0 2 30

Sugar scored 10 points on 13 shots last year. I don't think Kelly has anything to prove defensively.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Let me add this, I think Kelly getting back to her natural defensive position up front will make it even more likely that she WILL earn BE DPOY this year.

Reaction Score

They won't think that after UCONN pounds Notre Dame in the first game they play each other!

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Per Rich's response to me on Twitter...@biglurp Geno was not too happy about that either. (Re: Kelly not making the BE Preseason Team).

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
The wink is there because it is truly no surprise, but DPOY is likely a real possibility for her this year. If BStew doesn't take that...and it could happen.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well let's see 3 coaches voted for ND. We pretty much know Geno did (he can't vote for UCONN), I'd bet Quentin Hillsman did also (just cause we don't like each other), now the third? hmmm Maybe Harry or Jamelle? (maybe Geno asked one of them too to stir the pot or maybe they wanted to be like Geno??:rolleyes:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom