Big East on tap to get screwed when it comes to playoff $'s | The Boneyard

Big East on tap to get screwed when it comes to playoff $'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The...ahem...Big 5 want t receive 85% of the playoff revenue.

The Big East, MAC, Sun Belt, MWC and CUSA will split the remaining 15%.

I'm sure the BE will get a bigger percentage of the 15%, but it will not compare to the majors.

--------------------------------

"It is assumed that newly-labeled Big Five (ACC, Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12), will want to keep their current 85 percent share of revenue. Currently, that 85 percent is distributed among the top six conferences (including the Big East) .

Eighty-five percent of $600 million equals $510 million. That would leave $90 million for the Big East, MAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West and Conference USA. (It is assumed the WAC will dissolve beginning in 2014).

Is that fair?

“Fair' is a term we need to define,” said Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson Monday at his league's media day. “There will be a significant percentage increase [but] where does the Big East 18 percent go?"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...layoff-value-now-may-top-600-million-per-year

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
"BIG FIVE?!?!? WHY IS CBS SPORTS TRYING TO SCREW THE BIG EAST?!?!?!?!?!?!"- Nobody, even though it's the exact same thing everyone is pissed at ESPN for doing

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Also, $600,000,000 but if you pay for a player to fly home to see his parents, you're evil.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
CBS is in bed with the $EC - they're just doing their partner a solid by helping them get more playoff money, that's all.

As for ESPN, their thing is total control - they want to run this new college football playoff entirely from Bristol, and are throwing around cartoon money to make it happen. So there's no way in Hades that they're going to sit still and let some committee force 'access' to any teams that they don't want to broadcast.

Both are working overtime to kick the Big East to the curb - and dammit, they're doing an awesome job...

Reaction Score
Silence from the Big East........it would be nice to hear something other than the "rub of the green".......

Reaction Score
Silence from the Big East........it would be nice to hear something other than the "rub of the green".......

Yeah, this is where they need to draw the line. You wanna call urself the big 5, have at it. Start taking money out of our pockets and that's a problem. I've heard bailey allude to $, being more important than bowl tie in, time to do something about it.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score

No worries: the folks in Providence are set to announce a total re-branding of the league and unleash an all-out media blitz, right after they hire Godot as league commish next month...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Anyone know how many teams in FBS right now? I count 62 plus ND and BYU for a total of 64 in the Big 5 camp. Is that still a majority? If so, we're doomed.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Big East leadership reminds me of those Russian Nesting Dolls. Every new one is smaller than the one previous.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I would have Big East counsel draft a lawsuit against ESPN, and send it over to them with a blank for "damages". Let them decide what number should be put in it. If the Big East gets booted from the BCS, the damages claim becomes a lot easier to calculate. ESPN's call.

Tortious Interference claims are tough for two reasons. First, it is difficult to prove someone actually interfered with a contract. That won't be that hard with Flipper's interview with the Globe. Second problem is damages. If the Big East lands on its feet, no damages, no claim. If the Big East gets hammered in realignment, big damages, big claim.

Reaction Score
One difficult circumstance that theBig East faces is that it isn't only the BCS conferences that want a piece of the BE's share, it's that the MWC, CUSA, Sunbelt and MAC want it too. How easy is this result- give a percentage of the BE's reduced revenue to everyone!

Basically the BE is like the wounded wildebeest, the Big 5 is the lion, and the MWC and CUSA are the opportunistic hyenas. A great day out in the bush.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One difficult circumstance that theBig East faces is that it isn't only the BCS conferences that want a piece of the BE's share, it's that the MWC, CUSA, Sunbelt and MAC want it too. How easy is this result- give a percentage of the BE's reduced revenue to everyone!

Basically the BE is like the wounded wildebeest, the Big 5 is the lion, and the MWC and CUSA are the opportunistic hyenas. A great day out in the bush.

I believe there are only two programs outside of the New Big East and Big 5 that will have finished in the Top 25 in the last 10 years. The MWC and CUSA don't really have much of a claim for the Big East's share.

The ACC is the best hook the Big East has in terms of quality of play. There is virtually no measurement by which the ACC beats the New Big East since the last realignment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
CBS is in bed with the $EC - they're just doing their partner a solid by helping them get more playoff money, that's all.

As for ESPN, their thing is total control - they want to run this new college football playoff entirely from Bristol, and are throwing around cartoon money to make it happen. So there's no way in Hades that they're going to sit still and let some committee force 'access' to any teams that they don't want to broadcast.

Both are working overtime to kick the Big East to the curb - and dammit, they're doing an awesome job...

CBS doesn't have the infrastructure to redefine itself like NBC is doing. NBC is a competitor. I'm not surprised by this position.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
CBS doesn't have the infrastructure to redefine itself like NBC is doing. NBC is a competitor. I'm not surprised by this position.

Whaddya mean? They have a lightly viewed cable outlet, just like NBC. They ever hired Rome thinking he would bring some eyeballs.

Reaction Score
If you recall, the MAC rep on the Presidential Oversight Commission is the WKU president.

He's quoted as saying on June 25th:

"It's those five conferences who have invested the most, have the largest stadiums, and create the television marquee. We just want to be sure we get a little more proportionate share."

Since the pie is finite, for the MAC to get a little more proportionate share, it has to come from somewhere. The Big East is the target. Perhaps the BE leadership is naive to this, but everyone else knows the gameplan. Who is an ally of the BE in this fight? When some metric is proposed that devalues the BE but is allowed to stand, or some metric ishttp://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/19598210/playoff-value-now-may-top-600-million-per-year proposed that overvalues the ACC, how is the BE going to outvote 9 other members?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
There is virtually no measurement by which the ACC beats the New Big East since the last realignment.

This is what I don't get. Every single quantitative measurement of conference strength since the BCS started favors the Big East over the ACC. So how the hell does the ACC get lumped in with the Big 4 and beat out the Big East? Besides the obvious (commish and leadership). But how can this possibly happen when every single measuring stick favors the Big East?!:mad:

Reaction Score
This is what I don't get. Every single quantitative measurement of conference strength since the BCS started favors the Big East over the ACC. So how the hell does the ACC get lumped in with the Big 4 and beat out the Big East? Besides the obvious (commish and leadership). But how can this possibly happen when every single measuring stick favors the Big East?!:mad:

Stealth!

Reaction Score
so let's get this straight... 1 year ago, 6 conferences shared 85% of the pie.

Now, 5 of those conferences have decimated the 6th and are actually on record as suggesting that under the new agreement they should keep the 6th's payout and push them to the 15% bucket.

That to me is the rub of the green...

Reaction Score
so let's get this straight... 1 year ago, 6 conferences shared 85% of the pie.

Now, 5 of those conferences have decimated the 6th and are actually on record as suggesting that under the new agreement they should keep the 6th's payout and push them to the 15% bucket.

That to me is the rub of the green...
"Rub of the green" implies luck. While everything requires some luck, ineptitude created much of what the BE is facing. Yes, the BE compares more than favorably with the ACC. Unfortunately the only people that know the facts are on this board.

Reaction Score
For some reason I'd assumed that the money would be doled out according to bids. You're in the playoffs, you get a big cut. But they are doling out the $$ ahead of time? Something wrong there.

Reaction Score
"Rub of the green" implies luck. While everything requires some luck, ineptitude created much of what the BE is facing. Yes, the BE compares more than favorably with the ACC. Unfortunately the only people that know the facts are on this board.
Thanks for the insight...
I was using Mr. Bailey's comment regarding rub of the green in a 'play on words'. In my example, green meant money, and rub is the shaft we're getting up the ol' keester if you know what I mean...

Reaction Score
"It is assumed that newly-labeled Big Five (ACC, Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12), will want to keep their current 85 percent share of revenue. Currently, that 85 percent is distributed among the top six conferences (including the Big East) .

There is a major flaw with this sentence. He says the Big 5 want to "keep 85%"

Sorry, but you can't keep what you don't already have, and those 5 conferences do not currently have 85% of the revenue.

They can brand "Big 5" all they want but as far as I can tell that is nothing but a marketing term at this point. The Big East is still among the top 6 conferences in the country and I think its safe to assume the top 6 conferences want to "keep" 85% of the revenue.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I am sure the BE will be their usual selves and go along with this deal and claim victory because the BE is getting a larger absolute payout (ignoring the fact that our % and competitive balance with the other 5 conference is killed).:(

Reaction Score
Thanks for the insight...
I was using Mr. Bailey's comment regarding rub of the green in a 'play on words'. In my example, green meant money, and rub is the shaft we're getting up the ol' keester if you know what I mean...
Sorry. To me "Rub of the Green" has always been specifically related to golf and its vagaries; mostly "luck" like spike marks redirecting a put, or a ball in a divot or un-raked trap. I ,of course, expanded it to include every bad shot I ever hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom