Big East officially kicked to the curb in new BCS | The Boneyard

Big East officially kicked to the curb in new BCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As predicted, CUSA, MWC, MAC gain the AQ of the Big East by pulling the Big East down. Next up the revenue split which has the CUSA commissioner on its committee.

To reiterate, there are now officially five power conferences, with 5 less noble ones. It was in everyone's interest, ACC especially, to split the pie by castrating the Big Easr. 9 winners, one loser. How cool is that math?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...date-big-east,-others-to-be-worth-$20-million

"Now there will be at least one such team each year from a group of conferences that includes Conference USA, MAC, Sun Belt, Big East and Mountain West, going forward beginning in 2014.

On the other hand, the Big East had already lost its automatic spot in the BCS worth $17 million per year when the five other BCS leagues contracted with existing bowls in the playoff. Instead, the Big East will be competing with four other non-AQ conferences for that automatic spot going forward, for less money.

All five power conferences would theoretically be interested in placing a team in the bowl. Rankings for the playoff bowls will be determined by an as-yet undetermined selection committee.

For the first time since the BCS drew an artificial line between college football's haves and have nots 14 years ago, the sport's second-class citizens would be guaranteed a spot in a major bowl. In the current BCS, non-AQ schools have to meet a standard -- top 12 or top 16 if ranked higher than a BCS league champion. When the playoff arrives, the highest ranked team from that so-called Group of Five (MAC, Conference USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt, Big East) will be guaranteed a spot.

For example, if Marshall is highest ranked at No. 37, it will be in a playoff bowl. If a team from the Group of Five in the top four, it will play in a national semifinal."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
eh..hem, ranked by whom?

Reaction Score
Using this logic, then the AQ's of the big 5 should really go to the highest ranked teams, regardless of affiliation. This is a pure, raw power play against the Big East. And it worked.

If we can't have a higher ranked team than the rest we don't deserve the spot anyways.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The access sucks, but what will really cement the Big East as a second class citizen is the revenue split. It is going to be damn near impossible to compete with even ACC teams in the near future.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think some of these TV networks will be begging to get out of the bowl contracts in the next few years. The Orange Bowl will be lucky to get a 4.0 rating in the next few years, with a 4 team playoff drawing all the eyeballs. Who watches NIT games?

I don't think any of these bowls finish off their contracts. The playoff will be 16 teams within 10 years, and probably a lot sooner.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
RutgersAl, Boneyard posters with over 1,000 posts and MHver3 will be considered when ranking teams. BizLaw HuskyFanDan and Carl will over see the voting process.

If UConnDan97 "likes" the final tally it will be made official.

my preseason rankings most likely will have unlv #1

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Since 2004, based on final BCS ratings, the NBE captured the spot in the 7th BCS bowl 7 out of 8 times and placed one team in the Final 4 in 2009 which would have put 2 teams in BCS bowls.

Here's the rundown of NBE and others in final BCS rankings:

2004: Boise St 9, Louisville 10
2005: Louisville 19
2006: Louisville 6, Boise St 8, Rutgers 16, BYU 20
2007: Hawaii 10, BYU 17, USF 21, Cinci 20, Boise St 24, UConn 25
2008: Boise St 9, Cinci 12, BYU 16, Ball St. 22
2009: Cinci 3, Boise St 6, BYU 14
2010: Boise St 10, Nevada 15, Hawaii 24, UCF 25
2011: Boise St 7, Houston 19, Southern Miss 21

Thus, NBE loses the bowl in 2007. And, only in 2005 would there have been a non-top 10 team selected.

Reaction Score
Since 2004, based on final BCS ratings, the NBE captured the spot in the 7th BCS bowl 7 out of 8 times and placed one team in the Final 4 in 2009 which would have put 2 teams in BCS bowls.

Here's the rundown of NBE and others in final BCS rankings:

2004: Boise St 9, Louisville 10
2005: Louisville 19
2006: Louisville 6, Boise St 8, Rutgers 16, BYU 20
2007: Hawaii 10, BYU 17, USF 21, Cinci 20, Boise St 24, UConn 25
2008: Boise St 9, Cinci 12, BYU 16, Ball St. 22
2009: Cinci 3, Boise St 6, BYU 14
2010: Boise St 10, Nevada 15, Hawaii 24, UCF 25
2011: Boise St 7, Houston 19, Southern Miss 21

Thus, NBE loses the bowl in 2007. And, only in 2005 would there have been a non-top 10 team selected.

Based on that, you would think the Big East could have threatened a storm about a lawsuit and blowing up this whole model. While we complain about the Big East, this league builds programs. Part of the reason it builds programs is because the conference provides a name brand platform for up and comers and gets those teams on tv in huge markets. The Big East does belong with other 5 based on the facts. The conference should have made more noise. Not having a commissioner and having our three most prominent schools running for the exits all summer didn't help. This is on our leaders. This was an area that they needed to be incredibly outspoken in dealing with.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Based on that, you would think the Big East could have threatened a storm about a lawsuit and blowing up this whole model. While we complain about the Big East, this league builds programs. Part of the reason it builds programs is because the conference provides a name brand platform for up and comers and gets those teams on tv in huge markets. The Big East does belong with other 5 based on the facts. The conference should have made more noise. Not having a commissioner and having our three most prominent schools running for the exits all summer didn't help. This is on our leaders. This was an area that they needed to be incredibly outspoken in dealing with.

When the 800 pound gorilla in an industry decides it wants to destroy you, there is not a lot you can do. ESPN declared a Fatwa against the Big East, and now it is just trying to hang on until it is out from ESPN's yoke.

Reaction Score
Hoophound - the problem the NBE has is not results on the field, it's fannies in the seats for a bowl game. If the NBE had large traveling fan bases, the NBE would have been able to form it's own bowl, but it could not, at least not now, but that could change. One other problem. Where would you locate a NBE bowl with the far flung members?

Reaction Score
Hoophound - the problem the NBE has is not results on the field, it's fannies in the seats for a bowl game. If the NBE had large traveling fan bases, the NBE would have been able to form it's own bowl, but it could not, at least not now, but that could change. One other problem. Where would you locate a NBE bowl with the far flung members?

Not really. The idea that we don't travel is silly. Our trip to the Fiesta was incredibly awkward from CT. We still traveled well but they point to our school's ticket sales as proof we weren't there. We were there, but we bought $20 tickets instead of $200 ones from UConn. Another Hathaway F up.

Otherwise, WVU always traveled well and they were usually the team there. Don't believe the hype.

The threat of congressional investigations and lawsuits that open Pandora's Box are the way you keep a seat. We didn't try and now we've got live with it. No excuses. By every possible measure the NBE is so much better than the next best conference that it is totally outrageous that we are grouped with them.

Reaction Score
Western Michigan disagrees with you!
Buffalo weighs in this weekend.

Reaction Score
The bowls don't have to open a spot for the BE or anyone else for that matter unless they choose to and are promised a sweetheart deal with a certain network. The new structure pits the 4 top ranked teams in a semi-final. Anything after that is and always will be by invitation only. 3 of the reasons CFB is moving to this model from the current BCS model are (and in order - IMO)
1) $$. The bowls and networks realized how much more money they were leaving on the table. They siezed an opportunity. Smart move by them (bad for the BE)
2) $$. The bowls now have more control over which teams they can bring in and aren't required to bring in an 8-4 unranked with a marginal at best travelling fan base (unless it's in the ACC, which they'll roll the dice thanks to their ESPN backing)
3) $$. This isn't about what's good for college football as a whole, or what's good for the fans, it's about what will put the most $$ in the TV, Bowl, and Universities (in that order) bank.

It shocks me that the BE is on the outside looking in though. Apparently the bowls and ESPN didn't get the word that we are bringing in teams across 4 time zones and in big market cities? I can't believe they didn't pounce on this cherry of an opportunity in a heart beat. (turning sarcasm off now)

So, in summary, this is entirely about Money, and then Money, and finally Money.

Reaction Score
Big East is the Titanic - taking on water as we speak. Connecticut with help from the rest of the Big East should do whatever it takes to harm ESPN. They forgot their roots - being a fledgling newcomer trying to break in with the big boys. Alsmost certainly they got help along the way, but now they have done all they can possible do to harm UConn football. The legislature needs to remember this.

Reaction Score
The bowls don't have to open a spot for the BE or anyone else for that matter unless they choose to and are promised a sweetheart deal with a certain network. The new structure pits the 4 top ranked teams in a semi-final. Anything after that is and always will be by invitation only. 3 of the reasons CFB is moving to this model from the current BCS model are (and in order - IMO)
1) $$. The bowls and networks realized how much more money they were leaving on the table. They siezed an opportunity. Smart move by them (bad for the BE)
2) $$. The bowls now have more control over which teams they can bring in and aren't required to bring in an 8-4 unranked with a marginal at best travelling fan base (unless it's in the ACC, which they'll roll the dice thanks to their ESPN backing)
3) $$. This isn't about what's good for college football as a whole, or what's good for the fans, it's about what will put the most $$ in the TV, Bowl, and Universities (in that order) bank.

It shocks me that the BE is on the outside looking in though. Apparently the bowls and ESPN didn't get the word that we are bringing in teams across 4 time zones and in big market cities? I can't believe they didn't pounce on this cherry of an opportunity in a heart beat. (turning sarcasm off now)

So, in summary, this is entirely about Money, and then Money, and finally Money.

The Bowls in general and the Fiesta Bowl in particular (as well as the network that covered the 2011 game) were obviously pissed at having UConn as the opponent for Oklahoma. UConn didn't help the situation, by having absolutely zero offense in that game. Luckily a "pick-six" and a KO return gave the game some semblance of actually being a decent matchup. But when your offense, drive after drive, is impotent, it creates a mismatch.

Since that New Year's night, a lot of back room business deals have been cut. And, not a one has been beneficial to UConn. Seems like the powers to be want to make sure the Huskies know their place (the old Tangerine Bowl maybe?).

Reaction Score
I mean this is better than the alternative of no bowl game. If the Huskies or any other team wins the Big East, from a historical standpoint, the odds are extremely high that team will play in this bowl.

It's not like we are BC and have to pray even Duke isn't better than us that year to get access. Our goal remains the same and that is to win the Big East. The rest should fall in to place.

Reaction Score
I mean this is better than the alternative of no bowl game. If the Huskies or any other team wins the Big East, from a historical standpoint, the odds are extremely high that team will play in this bowl.

It's not like we are BC and have to pray even Duke isn't better than us that year to get access. Our goal remains the same and that is to win the Big East. The rest should fall in to place.

This is a valid point and maybe some semplance of hope in the absolute mess that conference realignment has been for UCONN.

Within the "big 5" conference there are any number of programs that will languish indefinitely if not into perpetuity. We're talking Indiana, Wash. State, Vandy, etc. and in our region BC and Syracuse could be headed right for that camp. Is a successful UCONN program in a, and let's be frank, crappy Big East, more attractive to a fanbase and recruits than a program that languishes in the other 5 conferences? I think so. At some point you have to be competitive against the competition you face. Getting your ass kicked every year by FSU does nothing to advance your program other than maybe fill your stadium with there visiting fanbase every couple of years (kind of like UCONN's taking over Conte for an annual win at BC in hoops).

We'll see. But, there are some very smug fans that think their meal ticket has been punched, and I think there is a lot more to it than simply being a member of the ACC.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that expected the link to say this deal was official since the thread title said it was official? The very first line of the article starts with "If finalized....."

I don't know why, but I'm always surprised at how quickly people will overreact to the wailing of an alarmist. A guy I work with said his housekeeper called him in a panic this morning b/c she talked to God in a dream and said NYC was going to get hit by a tsunami before November, if any of you want to buy a raft.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that expected the link to say this deal was official since the thread title said it was official? The very first line of the article starts with "If finalized....."

I don't know why, but I'm always surprised at how quickly people will overreact to the wailing of an alarmist. A guy I work with said his housekeeper called him in a panic this morning b/c she talked to God in a dream and said NYC was going to get hit by a tsunami before November, if any of you want to buy a raft.

Lol. I didn't even click the link. My bad. I should know better.

Reaction Score
Using this logic, then the AQ's of the big 5 should really go to the highest ranked teams, regardless of affiliation. This is a pure, raw power play against the Big East. And it worked.
It was a power play to grab more money. Unfortunately the be was caught without a seat.
60 schools now control 80% of the revenue...

As fluid as this happened, one has to wonder who was orchestrating this whole process...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom