Big East, MSG to announce extension of Big East Tournament through 2028 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East, MSG to announce extension of Big East Tournament through 2028

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ha ha, let me translate this: you've discovered that you can't find anything that says the Little East "bought the history" of the Big East. Am I right?

All of the articles at the time indicate that Catholic 7 bought the name and MSG Tourney rights in exchange to forgoing any claim to $100M of the $110M in exit and entrance fees and NCAA rights. Am I right again?

Look obviously you are very proud of Providence being a leach on the butt of UConn (and Syracuse*, Nova and Georgetown) during its championship runs. So much so that you hang out on a UConn board and talk about it. But you can still be proud of being a leach on the butt of Nova's last two natties, right? I mean consistency is important and your school has consistently managed to be a non-productive member of conferences that have had members who have earned championships. That's something to be uh, well not proud of, really, but uh, oh I don't know maybe vaguely not ashamed of? Be glad that you can bask in the glory of other schools achievements, That's uh, special, I guess, in it's own way.

CL82

Reaction Score
No hate at all. You amuse me. But in the end you can't escape the fact that you can't find a single contemporaneous article that states the the Little East "bought the history" of the Big East. Every time you avoid the question, you answer it.

Just for your own mental health, though, you should celebrate your new conference. Villanova has done very well in it. (You might was want to check the Little East's Wikipedia page, even it state's that the conference was formed in July of 2013. Oh but it does list NCAA national championships:

1544573414207.png

CL82

Reaction Score
See there we go, progress. Baby steps, right?

So how exactly exactly do you believe that the AAC just willingly let them go?

CL82

Reaction Score
Mmm, you might want to look again under national championships. All of UConn's are there.

Regardless, you understand that media guides have virtually no determinative value to this discussion right? Far more determinative are real time reports which describe the transaction. Said differently, if you all you have is a (misread) media guide, you have nothing.

We done yet Friar?

CL82

Reaction Score
Uh they are listed in the American's media guide. You might want to take a look at page 98. Even if they weren't does that matter? It's media guide it's not actual agreement of the parties. Do you understand the difference?

We done yet?

CL82

Reaction Score

Wow. I hate remedial work but there has been progress, so let's recap.

You now understand that:

1) In July 2013, the "Catholic 7" left the Big East Conference. (This includes Providence.)

2) The Catholic 7 formed a new conference in July of 2013.

3) The new Catholic 7 conference bought the rights call themselves by name the Big East and right to the remaining term of the Big East's MSG contract. This does not rewrite history and somehow make the new conference the original Big East (for sake of clarity I'll refer to the new conference as the Little East.)

4) The the Little East was formed in 2013 not 1979. It has no claim to anything that happened before it existed.

5) The Little East never "bought the history" of the Big East. That claim never made any sense.

6) Records such as national championships belong to school that earned them, not non-performing schools that through historical accident were a member of the same conference with the championship schools.

7) UConn has won four NCAA men's basketball national championships. None of these belong to Providence College by virtue of their being in the same conference as UConn for some of them.

8) Georgetown has won one NCAA men's basketball national championship. None of these belong to Providence College by virtue of their being in the same conference as Georgetown when it was earned.

9) Villanova won three men's basketball NCAA national championships. None of these belong to Providence College by virtue of their being in the same conference as Villanova when they were earned.

10) Providence has not won a NCAA men's basketball national championship.

Whew, that's a lot of ground we covered.

I'll add one more then I afraid I can't spend more time on this:

11) It is pitiful for non-performing institutions to try claim the accomplishments of other institutions. Even more so to try to do it on their board.

Be well buddy. I'm out.

Reaction Score
we spent yesterday arguing about the future so today we can argue about the past. sigh.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So just to check, the 2010 head to head battle between Cincinnati and Villanova in the US News & World Report University ranking would be in American media guide?

CL82

Reaction Score
Ah, someone is butt hurt.

I'm sure if you post this on a PC board, you'll find someone who will care about what the New Big East "maintains." Good luck with that!

Reaction Score
It's fine. Really Nova has done well dragging the rest of you along. But "almost selling" out isn't selling out.

Providence is the only NBE team is in the Northeast. The new Big East light doesn't look much like what Dave Gavitt envisioned.
View attachment 37306

But here's the thing, the NBE is a pleasant small school with a current basketball power in. Why not enjoy that rather than pretending to be the original Big East? Sounds like you aren't comfortable with your conference. Understandable if you root for a school not named Villanova.
It's called the Big East. Creighton shouldn't be in a conference based on the east.

Reaction Score
The only original Big East members now in the ACC are Boston College and Syracuse. While ACC members Pitt, Va Tech, Miami, Notre Dame, and Louisville were at some point in the Big East, they were not part of the original founding members.

The Big East originally had just 7 founding members when conference play started - PC, BC, UConn, SJU, SHU, Syracuse, and Georgetown. Villanova and Pitt did not play in the first year of the Big East as they joined in subsequent seasons after leaving the Eastern-8 (now A-10).

Source:
Big East Conference (1979–2013) - Wikipedia

Hey TJT,

Thanks for the clarification. I always forget that Pitt (and Villanova) were not founding member of the Big East. I looked it up before... just forgot about it

They did join pretty early prior to the league rise of the ranks in the 80s... but it can be said those were the first expansion members

With that said, the Big East as currently configured has 4/7 of its original 1979 membership

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to understand why a PC fan spends so much time on a UConn board

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom