Men - Big East Conference Baseball | The Boneyard

Men Big East Conference Baseball

Reaction Score
Can we just admit already that the Big East Conference as a whole, for baseball purposes…sucks. It’s not UConn’s fault.

Reaction Score
Can we just admit already that the Big East Conference as a whole, for baseball purposes…sucks. It’s not UConn’s fault.
Our hopes for big12 are dashed, correct?

In the meantime, as lowly as the Big East is in baseball, at least we get to compete for a title every year in our own backyard. Could be worse?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We didn’t win the conference last year. As far as I can tell, we have been seeded properly in the NCAAs. I don’t really see the problem - other than yeah, the ACC would be better had we ever been invited. We have arguably had better clubs in the past 3 years than at the end of the AAC days. Mainly b/c of new facilities. Non-con this year will be a challenge.

Reaction Score
We didn’t win the conference last year. As far as I can tell, we have been seeded properly in the NCAAs. I don’t really see the problem - other than yeah, the ACC would be better had we ever been invited. We have arguably had better clubs in the past 3 years than at the end of the AAC days. Mainly b/c of new facilities. Non-con this year will be a challenge.
UConn won the conference last year. Xavier was 2nd.

Reaction Score
Well aware. X won the tournament and were the AQ, Huskies at-large. My point being UConn has competition in a conference that “sucks” and are just fine.
The conference does suck! Xavier being a pretty good team doesn’t make the conference “fine”. W/out the AQ, Xavier does not get an at large. UConn will survive, but trying to justify a conference that does nothing but hold Uconn Baseball back, we can agree to disagree on that.

Due to the conference being what it is in baseball, ur looking at a necessary 50 win season amongst other factors, just to be in the discussion to host a regional on an annual basis. Therefore, the path to CWS will always remain an uphill battle more so then other programs. College World Series is the goal as a fan.

Reaction Score
The conference does suck! Xavier being a pretty good team doesn’t make the conference “fine”. W/out the AQ, Xavier does not get an at large. UConn will survive, but trying to justify a conference that does nothing but hold Uconn Baseball back, we can agree to disagree on that.

Due to the conference being what it is in baseball, ur looking at a necessary 50 win season amongst other factors, just to be in the discussion to host a regional on an annual basis. Therefore, the path to CWS will always remain an uphill battle more so then other programs. College World Series is the goal as a fan.
Your points on the conference are all true. But it is the conference we belong to. I’d argue our path to hosting would be as difficult if not more so if we were in the ACC. We’d be able to grab a few more blue chippers in recruiting, but going well over .500 in conference would be a slog - that’s what gets you to hosting. And 2 seeds are really no different than 3s. Talented teams from that conference are home at tourney time every year. Recruiting against warm weather conference mates would be a battle. I wish it were happening. My point is mainly that the BE has not harmed the program as the commitment to facilities has only helped. We were a winnable game away from the CWS two years ago. We were potentially an injury to Crawford away from winning it all if we got there. For a cold weather program without titanic football revenue, that’s remarkable. Call it small bore if you will, but winning BE titles in a battle with X or whomever is compelling to this fan. I appreciate where they are and they are competing nationally. We are in the Big East because our basketball thrives there. And basketball is the pride of the university and state. Our history in the BE matters, including our baseball history. That’s what I’m defending in response to your post. I appreciate your username and get where you’re coming from.

Reaction Score
Your points on the conference are all true. But it is the conference we belong to. I’d argue our path to hosting would be as difficult if not more so if we were in the ACC. We’d be able to grab a few more blue chippers in recruiting, but going well over .500 in conference would be a slog - that’s what gets you to hosting. And 2 seeds are really no different than 3s. Talented teams from that conference are home at tourney time every year. Recruiting against warm weather conference mates would be a battle. I wish it were happening. My point is mainly that the BE has not harmed the program as the commitment to facilities has only helped. We were a winnable game away from the CWS two years ago. We were potentially an injury to Crawford away from winning it all if we got there. For a cold weather program without titanic football revenue, that’s remarkable. Call it small bore if you will, but winning BE titles in a battle with X or whomever is compelling to this fan. I appreciate where they are and they are competing nationally. We are in the Big East because our basketball thrives there. And basketball is the pride of the university and state. Our history in the BE matters, including our baseball history. That’s what I’m defending in response to your post. I appreciate your username and get where you’re coming from.
I agree w/ everything you’ve written outside of the seeding and recruiting obstacles. There is a lot to be proud of as a fan of the baseball program and their accomplishments. I’ve never felt different. My thoughts regarding the conference are simply CWS driven. I understand the position the school is in in relation to the BE, however, it does not need to be the end-all roadblock preventing an advantageous path to Omaha. I’d take an ACC or Big10 path to the Supers any year rather then an Big12 or SEC. In 22’ Maryland/Wake were/are Not Texas Tech/Florida regardless of the rankings. UConn took it to Wake’s highly thought of staff. I’d like to see more SEC out of conf scheduling replacing some west coast programs…I think Gonzaga basketball, the WCC became irrelevant when the country realized scheduling them was either a lateral move or better yet a step up. I believe Uconn Baseball is and has been there. Make the BE conf become irrelevant ( from an competiveness perspective, not arrogance). Again, simply opinions on my part.

Reaction Score
The good news is that UConn baseball is getting proper respect based upon performance against national powers in the tournament in recent years. The talk of hosting last year (and the polls) as we ran up a gaudy record against a comparatively weak schedule is an example. It ended up being just talk, as anyone could see they didn’t have the arms. But it was a sign of respect. SEC baseball is a monster and the ACC gets stronger with Stanford (at least until the league shatters as predicted). Until any realignment change, non-con is huge. We’ll see how they handle the upgrade this year. The Auburn series is must-see.

Reaction Score
The good news is that UConn baseball is getting proper respect based upon performance against national powers in the tournament in recent years. The talk of hosting last year (and the polls) as we ran up a gaudy record against a comparatively weak schedule is an example. It ended up being just talk, as anyone could see they didn’t have the arms. But it was a sign of respect. SEC baseball is a monster and the ACC gets stronger with Stanford (at least until the league shatters as predicted). Until any realignment change, non-con is huge. We’ll see how they handle the upgrade this year. The Auburn series is must-see.
The Auburn series and other challenging OOC series will certainly show us what we’re working with. Excited to see how our weekend arms hold up against elite offenses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom