Big East - College football playoff..... | The Boneyard

Big East - College football playoff.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Had a thought today, that made me smile. The 4 team playoff format being moved on is not what I had hoped, but nonetheless is a change of unprecedented proportions in the college football post season from it's 130 or so years of existence.

What made me smile,is not that, but that they're going to have to seriously look at making the rankings make sense to get the top 4 teams in otherwise it's going to blow up in all those fat cats faces, badly.

That means that strength of schedule absolutely must be factored in somehow....among other things.

which brings me to the Big East. The big east conference RPI, or whatever calculations they use or strenght, is going to be stronger with boise, houston, temple, smu involved....immediately, more than enough to offset Memphis bringing it down, intitially.

The ACC with their 2-11 record in BCS games, just added Pitt and Syracuse football to their RPI........

how's that going to help those ACC teams when it comes to strenght of schedule? If the playoff is going to start in 2014, kick em out for 2013 Marinatto - let the ACC have em!!!

More chance for a big east team to get into the playoff.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
they're going to have to seriously look at making the rankings make sense to get the top 4 teams in otherwise it's going to blow up in all those fat cats faces, badly.

Make sense to who? An unbiased person who has no dog in the fight? Or the typical college football fans who gets all of their information and opinions from ESPN and the other 'experts'? In my opinion, it is the 2nd. If you think that this is going to change anything, you are just being naive. The 'final four' will average something like this over an extended period of time:

- 2.4 teams from the SEC/B1G
- 1.2 teams from the B12/PAC
- 0.3 teams from the ACC or ND
- 0.1 teams from the Big East/Non-BCS

In my opinion, if you really believe that this is going to even the playing field or help anyone other than the Big 4 (and especially the Big 2) then you are just wrong. If anything, this will actually hurt the Big East (without the automatic BCS game).

Reaction Score
The problem with a 4 team playoff is really no different from the problem with the current system...perception becomes reality. One reason the NCAA basketball (and other NCAA championship tournaments, and even some non-college events) work so well is that you have a large enough field that good teams who don't have the public perception (Butler say, or Gonzaga a few years back, RIT in mens hockey a couple of years ago) can get in and demonstrate their ability to compete with the big names. Just becasue nobody ever heard of Virginia Commonwealth doesn't mean they can't compete with and beat blueblood Kansas. A 4 team "playoff" on the other hand, is just going to preserve the status quo..the ranking system is simply biased in that direction...it is much tougher for a 1 loss big East or ACC, to say nothing of a MW or CUSA team to crack the top 4 than for Texas or USC to do it. And its much tougher to move up the rankings from a percieved weak conference than it is to move down. Frankly, it is much easier for Texas to make the top 4 even with a loss than it would be for conference mate Baylor for that matter, or for Ohio State or Michigan to do it than Indiana. sportsguy is right on the money. this isn't aimed at finding the best team this is designed to protect the status quo.

Reaction Score
And if there is no BE team in the "playoff", NO major Bowl will choose a BE team without being forced to.

Reaction Score
An undefeated Big East team under the current system has almost no shot to make it to a championship game and yet there are many on this board who prefer the status quo over the four team playoff we now have. I'll just assume you are fans of UCONN and not graduates.

Reaction Score
I think this playoff system will force ND to pick a conference, probably big 10/Sec. Every team should be in a conference and in my opinion if your going to have only 4 playoff teams. Then either break it down by best team in quadrants(north,south,east, & west). take conf. champs. big east Winner, vs Acc Winner would be team from the East. Sec Winner vs. Big 10 Winner would be team from the north. Take big 12 Winner vs pac 12 Winner would team from South- then other conferences Winners would play each other would be team from the West. top 4 playoffs, best team wins championship. Done!

Reaction Score
An undefeated Big East team under the current system has almost no shot to make it to a championship game and yet there are many on this board who prefer the status quo over the four team playoff we now have. I'll just assume you are fans of UCONN and not graduates.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=541424

you're oversimplifying this by taking BCS games out of the equation. the BE conference used to get that 15 mil or whatever is was payday every year to split between it's members. that may be gone. from the link i posted above our total bowl payout last year was $23.5 million, but only $5.95m came from non-BCS games. will you be happy in 2014 if the Big East splits $6 million among it's members b/c we don't have a BCS participant? maybe you should think about the entire situation before spouting off about the intelligence of others.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

First of all, I am not convinced that a 12-0 Big East teams gets the spot over a 11-1 (2nd place team) from the SEC or B1G.

Secondly, and most importantly....currently a 10-2 (winner of the conference) Big East team goes to the Orange/Fiesta bowl. In 3 years from now, a 10-2 Big East team goes to the Belk Bowl in Charlotte.

If you want to believe that what they are doing is good for UConn and the Big East....the go ahead. But you will be sorely mistaken when it all shakes out.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Easier to get into Playoff/NCG as most 1 loss seasons will get a BE team in.

Harder to get into the old BCS games or any higher profile, warm weather, large payout games. This will revert to traditional teams with large fan bases, much like the pre-BCS years.

How they limit the pool of BCS eligible teams will be everything. I doubt it will be top 4 to the playoffs and next 6 to the other bowls. The bowls want flexibility in selecting teams.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think this playoff system will force ND to pick a conference, probably big 10/Sec. Every team should be in a conference and in my opinion if your going to have only 4 playoff teams. Then either break it down by best team in quadrants(north,south,east, & west). take conf. champs. big east Winner, vs Acc Winner would be team from the East. Sec Winner vs. Big 10 Winner would be team from the north. Take big 12 Winner vs pac 12 Winner would team from South- then other conferences Winners would play each other would be team from the West. top 4 playoffs, best team wins championship. Done!
I dont think so. Since they removed the AQ from conferences, this is a completely open set up all dictated by the rankings. This is a complete free pass for ND NOT to join a conference, why should they have to now? In theory, any D-1A team is now eligible for the playoff....schedule tough teams, beat them, get a top 4 ranking and you are in, conference affiliation means nothing. This is a complete cop out, in dropping the AQ from conferences and by not making conference champs the designated playoff teams they can state with a straight face that it is equally open to any football team in the country, while all the while the polls will favor the SEC/Big 10/B12 schools etc due to their perceived in league schedule strength, or in ND's case, their overall strength of schedule. Why do you think having the conference champs playoff idea died? Cuz of the Domers.......

Reaction Score
I dont think so. Since they removed the AQ from conferences, this is a completely open set up all dictated by the rankings. This is a complete free pass for ND NOT to join a conference, why should they have to now? In theory, any D-1A team is now eligible for the playoff....schedule tough teams, beat them, get a top 4 ranking and you are in, conference affiliation means nothing. This is a complete cop out, in dropping the AQ from conferences and by not making conference champs the designated playoff teams they can state with a straight face that it is equally open to any football team in the country, while all the while the polls will favor the SEC/Big 10/B12 schools etc due to their perceived in league schedule strength, or in ND's case, their overall strength of schedule. Why do you think having the conference champs playoff idea died? Cuz of the Domers.......

The current ranking systems need to get scrapped, or enema'd. All six of the computer systems need to get rolled into one algorithm, the components and mechanism of which is open to the public, and the system reproducible so that anybody, anywhere, can plug all 121 division 1-A teams in, and get the same rankings, 1 to 121. I'm not saying this is simple, it's not - but I'm sure those 6 computer guru's can figure out a way. You start running the rankings in week 1. Not later in the season as it's currently done.

Media? Coach's polls? sorry - out. They can stay for media purposes, selling news papers and magazines - but useless in the actual rankings. Selection committee out too.

Until a playoff exists such that all conference champs are involved, there can be no human component to the ranking systems.

And yes, the current arrangement of the college football post season, adn the foreseeable future with a playoff - revolves entirely around Notre Dame's independance.

Reaction Score
I am for this as long as they lower the limit on the number of scholarships a school can give. We can't have the same schools stockpiling the best players in the country. I say lower the number of scholarships to distribute some of the talent throughout the country. The playing field needs to be leveled if this is what they want to do.

Reaction Score
ND will never be forced into joining a league. i don't know why people bring it up as if it's possible. the only way they'd ever be compelled would be if the playoff only included conference champions. that will never happen b/c the SEC, B1G, PAC12 and Big12 don't want it. it would possibly cause resentment against their lucrative championship games if a loss by 11-1 Texas to 9-3 Kansas in the Big12 CG causes them to lose their spot to a 10-2 Big East champ

Reaction Score
http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=541424

you're oversimplifying this by taking BCS games out of the equation. the BE conference used to get that 15 mil or whatever is was payday every year to split between it's members. that may be gone. from the link i posted above our total bowl payout last year was $23.5 million, but only $5.95m came from non-BCS games. will you be happy in 2014 if the Big East splits $6 million among it's members b/c we don't have a BCS participant? maybe you should think about the entire situation before spouting off about the intelligence of others.

Tell me why I should care if UCONN no longer gets a 2 million payout as our BCS cut when we don't play in the BCS game. (When we do make the BCS game we lose (3,000,000)). As a fan all I care about is my team having a shot at a championship. Do you think 2 million is alot of money to the big business that is UCONN? Especially when our regular TV payout is about to be tripled (at least).

Nevermind the fact that a playoff will eventually generate more money for all of the schools.

Are you a football fan or a shortsighted bean counter in the business office who is only concerned about next year's profits?

The optimist I am, I actually think we have a chance to go undefeated next year. I can't find a game on our schedule that we can't win. Will we get invited to a championship game? Highly doubtful. To me THAT is the definition of being LOCKED OUT.

Reaction Score
I think this playoff system will force ND to pick a conference, probably big 10/Sec. Every team should be in a conference and in my opinion if your going to have only 4 playoff teams.

Why? ND has been included in these possible playoff negotiations without being affiliated with a conference. ND has also signed agrrements to play B-10 and Pac 12 teams going forward, they basically are having their cake and eating it too, so why would ND need to join any confernce now, especially when the BE is allowing their other programs a place to play.

Reaction Score
Tell me why I should care if UCONN no longer gets a 2 million payout as our BCS cut when we don't play in the BCS game. (When we do make the BCS game we lose (3,000,000)). As a fan all I care about is my team having a shot at a championship. Do you think 2 million is alot of money to the big business that is UCONN? Especially when our regular TV payout is about to be tripled (at least).

Nevermind the fact that a playoff will eventually generate more money for all of the schools.

Are you a football fan or a shortsighted bean counter in the business office who is only concerned about next year's profits?

The optimist I am, I actually think we have a chance to go undefeated next year. I can't find a game on our schedule that we can't win. Will we get invited to a championship game? Highly doubtful.

with the BCS game affiliation UConn gets about another $2 million/year than we'd get without it. unless you're willing to pony up the difference you shouldn't pretend it doesn't matter. a big deal was made when Burton wanted his donation back and that was a one time payment of 3 mil, this is 2 million every year. apparently you're fine with that money being split between the SEC and B1G.

at the end of the day money helps teams compete, which is why most of us realize it's important to make more of it as a program. in case you care to actually look at some facts, $2 million/year would almost cover the costs of a stadium expansion over the next 30 years, but i guess you don't think that's important either. as an optimist i thought you'd like for another 15k fans to be able to attend our home games, but i guess only short sighted bean counters worry about these types of things

Reaction Score
with the BCS game affiliation UConn gets about another $2 million/year than we'd get without it. unless you're willing to pony up the difference you shouldn't pretend it doesn't matter. a big deal was made when Burton wanted his donation back and that was a one time payment of 3 mil, this is 2 million every year. apparently you're fine with that money being split between the SEC and B1G.

at the end of the day money helps teams compete, which is why most of us realize it's important to make more of it as a program. in case you care to actually look at some facts, $2 million/year would almost cover the costs of a stadium expansion over the next 30 years, but i guess you don't think that's important either. as an optimist i thought you'd like for another 15k fans to be able to attend our home games, but i guess only short sighted bean counters worry about these types of things

You are putting the cart before the horse. You want stadium expansion, and another 15 thousand season tickets....Win Games...Win a Championship. The school will be swimming in money and probably be invited to another conference.

Reaction Score
unfortunately it'll take more than winning games to win a championship in either scenario. nobody likes the status quo, but i'm not going to start loving a plan that doesn't even exist just because it's not the status quo. until we find out how money is going to be distributed it's hard to have too much of an opinion on this new plan, but if it's being developed by the commissioners of the other BCS conferences without us, i'm going to assume we're going to get screwed until i hear otherwise

Reaction Score
metsfan,

Whether you get locked out of a 2 game playoff or a 4 game playoff, you still get locked out. And this system is designed to lock out everyone but the SEC, ND, Texas and Oklahoma and USC, maybe florida State and Miami if they have real real good years. the BCS system is biased to give certain conferences and certain schools the benfit of the doubtr...if you told me this was an 8 or 16 team playoff, while I don't think it would work very well, at least everyone would have a shot and if a less well known program, won a couple of games to get to the finals, nobody could take it away from them. But 4 teams is pretty much the same as 2...even if the Big East Champ is perfect, it is going to have to hope for the best that the B-10 and SEC 2nd place teams, Notre Dame, USC, and Texas don't finish with just one loss...

Reaction Score
unfortunately it'll take more than winning games to win a championship in either scenario. nobody likes the status quo, but i'm not going to start loving a plan that doesn't even exist just because it's not the status quo. until we find out how money is going to be distributed it's hard to have too much of an opinion on this new plan, but if it's being developed by the commissioners of the other BCS conferences without us, i'm going to assume we're going to get screwed until i hear otherwise

I agree, how revenue in the post season is to be distributed in teh future, and how the ranking systems are set up - is either going to be legit and fair, or it won't.

I'll tell you what though, there are millions of college football fans, and media , and the like around the country that will ahve a fit if the BCS fat cats try to put some kind of perversion out there. The last thing any of them want, is for local and federal government to get involved in all of this.

I have a fair amount of confidence that the revenue gap between the six former AQ conferences and the 5 non-AQ's is going to close up - evenly distributed among all 11? Eventually yes, but there's as much chance of that happening as there was getting to the 16 team playoff format of conference champs and at larges from scratch. That means the big east may earn less money from the BCS than they did in the past, but as long as it's proportionally less than the other conferences - what's the issue? IF they try to pull some crap that the Big EAst loses more money than the other 5? Well, I don't see that happening.

THe biggest hurdle is getting the managers of the college football post season to break the 130+ year old mold. That happened last week, and it's phenomenal. The market and the fans will drive it from here.

Reaction Score

The optimist I am, I actually think we have a chance to go undefeated next year. I can't find a game on our schedule that we can't win. Will we get invited to a championship game? Highly doubtful. To me THAT is the definition of being LOCKED OUT.

You are an idiot.

pj

Reaction Score
Every team should be in a conference and in my opinion if your going to have only 4 playoff teams. Then either break it down by best team in quadrants(north,south,east, & west). take conf. champs. big east Winner, vs Acc Winner would be team from the East. Sec Winner vs. Big 10 Winner would be team from the north. Take big 12 Winner vs pac 12 Winner would team from South- then other conferences Winners would play each other would be team from the West. top 4 playoffs, best team wins championship. Done!

This is an 8 team playoff.

pj

Reaction Score
I am for this as long as they lower the limit on the number of scholarships a school can give. We can't have the same schools stockpiling the best players in the country. I say lower the number of scholarships to distribute some of the talent throughout the country. The playing field needs to be leveled if this is what they want to do.

Disagree with this. A team at UConn's level depends on finding less-regarded but still talented prospects and coaching them up. This is especially true in the Northeast where the high school preparation isn't as good as Texas or Florida. By the team our players are redshirt juniors and seniors, they can compete with the players Texas and Alabama get out of high school. With an 80-player roster, we'll be 1- or 2-deep with capable players, Texas or Alabama will be 3- or 4-deep, but barring injuries we can compete with them.

Cut the scholarships in half, and Texas and Alabama are now 2-deep at every spot, UConn starts to have holes where unprepared freshman have to start. We get crushed when playing them. It's true there are more talented players spread around, but many will end up at non-BCS schools and even 1-AA schools. In any given year, depending on when a lot of talent graduates, a lower-level team like a UMass or Buffalo could be better than a Big East team. It would be like basketball, where only a few elite schools have consistent success -- all the next tier schools get a group of great players but then they graduate and you have a down year.

Personally, I think there's value to (a) seeing high-level football played at the BCS level, so letting a group of ~60 teams have large enough rosters that they can coach up talented players for a few years before playing them; and (b) giving plenty of young athletes a chance for a free education. Cut the scholarships per team, and a lot of athletes lose out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom