Big East Backfill If 4 Schools Go To Big 12 | The Boneyard

Big East Backfill If 4 Schools Go To Big 12

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Mostly because I’m bored at work- hypothetical situation with UConn, SJU, Villanova, Georgetown moving to the B12. How would the Big East backfill?

Get to 10:

St. Louis
Loyola Chicago
Fordham (?)

Get to 12

Previous 3 +
St. Joe’s?
Fairfield?

Get to 16

Previous 5 +

Detroit?
Holy Cross?
VCU?
Richmond?

Mostly Jesuit schools sans VCU and Richmond. Options aren’t great though. Maybe they’d grab a Dayton, Wichita, etc before most of these religious schools. Just wild to see how barren it gets past getting back to 10 schools. I don’t think Gonzaga would have interest in joining the league if those four schools left either.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Might as well just merge with the A-10 at that point

Reaction Score
If the only teams with actual name recognition leave the Big East will anybody outside the remaining schools care what happens? Fold the midwest elements into The MAC and MWC. The remaining east schools can join The A10/Colonial/Patriot or whatever dreck remains behind.

Reaction Score
They would raid the best teams from the A10 plus UMASS and likely either Stony Brook or Fordham

Dayton
VCU
Fordham or Stony Brook
UMASS
St Louis
Xavier
Marquette
Butler
Providence
Creighton
Seton Hall
Depaul

Not a great league but certainly the best of the non power conferences.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They would raid the best teams from the A10 plus UMASS and likely either Stony Brook or Fordham

Dayton
VCU
Fordham or Stony Brook
UMASS
St Louis
Xavier
Marquette
Butler
Providence
Creighton
Seton Hall
Depaul

Not a great league but certainly the best of the non power conferences.

Looks good, although I wonder if you go with a St Josephs to keep Philly and forgo a Fordham or Stony Brook.

This conference would still have fun BB & decent markets.

xclamations

Portal Kombat III
Reaction Score
Charleston

VCU

Dayton

Wichita State

St. Bonaventure

St Louis

Richmond

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
St Bonnie's is so tiny and so remote. 1850 undergrad students, $93m endowment, a few miles outside of a town of 15k deep in the woods of western NY. 1.5 hrs south of Buffalo.

I don't see how the media folk let the BE backfill with such a school.

Reaction Score
Don't see the B1G ever taking UConn. They simply don't value us. We're not even on their radar.

True but if UConn football ever comes close to fullfilling their potential it changes.

Reaction Score
I doubt the big east would lose 4 teams… it looks like the big 12 is going to get some pac 12 schools… I think if uconn wins the ncca tournament and the football team has a great year and we fill the rent… then I think we might get a invite from either the big 10…acc or the big 12… I would hope we would turn down the big 12

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't see the B1G ever taking UConn. They simply don't value us. We're not even on their radar.
Of course, if we were, there would be no way that it would actually be public ahead of time…. so we have that going for us.

Reaction Score
I'd have to imagine that the Big East flirtation with public schools and/or football schools would be officially over, sorry UMass and VCU. So I'd say they go to 12 with:

Dayton
St Louis
Fordham
St Joseph's
Richmond

Losing the 4 would put some sports below the threshold (potentially field hockey, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse, etc). So additions would have to be made with that in mind. Without doing all the research, a Davidson or Duquesne could sneak in instead just to fill out some of the Olympic sports.

Reaction Score
I doubt the big east would lose 4 teams… it looks like the big 12 is going to get some pac 12 schools… I think if uconn wins the ncca tournament and the football team has a great year and we fill the rent… then I think we might get a invite from either the big 10…acc or the big 12… I would hope we would turn down the big 12
To stay in the Big East or to go to the ACC? If ACC isn't calling and the Big 12 is, it's an absolute no brainer (if for all sports) to go to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
To stay in the Big East or to go to the ACC? If ACC isn't calling and the Big 12 is, it's an absolute no brainer (if for all sports) to go to the Big 12.
Can you imagine if this happens? If nothing else we'd set the record for number of conferences in such a short period of time. We'd have OBE, AAC, NBE, and Big XII all in a 15 year span.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine if this happens? If nothing else we'd set the record for number of conferences in such a short period of time. We'd have OBE, AAC, NBE, and Big XII all in a 15 year span.
Sadly this is becoming all too common. Look at Cincinnati and Louisville. In my lifetime Cincinnati has been in Metro, Great Midwest Conference, C-USA, Big East, AAC, Big 12. Louisville has been in all those same conferences minus the Great Midwest and instead are now in the ACC. It's crazy but has been happening forever.

Reaction Score
Since 1995 TCU has been in the following:
Southwest Conference (until 1995)
WAC (1996-2000)
Conference USA (2001-2004)
Mountain West (2005-2011)
Big East (joined in 2010 for the start of the 2012 season; left in 2011)
Big XII (joined in 2011 for the start of the 2012 season)

Reaction Score
Was a time when I felt we truly belonged in the ACC.
But two things happened. They took Louisville over us - lost all credibility. And all basketball and football programs of our previous BE conference mates tanked (yippee).
Big 12 tried that carrot dangling crap a few years back but wisely dropped it. They are super super solid in hoops and our fan base would love those rivalries. Plus their football product is damn close to B1G.
I think our ultimate goal is a shot at the B1G. And I think we have a much better shot via the Big 12 route. ACC and Pac sinking ships and soon to be basketball centric.
If Big 12 grabs 4 BE name brands, and maybe something 4 corners. With Cincinnati and Houston coming in, the hoops would be insane. And those football teams are right up there with B1G and SEC. Just needs some outside the box thinking regarding the model. If UCONN invested properly in its programs it could almost declare itself flagship if the Northeast US (Penn St would argue otherwise).
Can’t me in on the Big 12 move.

Reaction Score
Mostly because I’m bored at work- hypothetical situation with UConn, SJU, Villanova, Georgetown moving to the B12. How would the Big East backfill?
Can someone explain how a 30 sport Georgetown program fits in with BYU, Texas Tech, and Iowa State? Are any of them going to throw Georgetown a bone and play them in football?

Answer to both: Not happening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom