Big East AD's meeting on Sunday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East AD's meeting on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Listening to talk radio this afternoon here in Florida, some good reporters found a flight plan for a private jet leaving from Columbia, MO today, travelling to Birmingham, Al (Home office of SEC). It landed, spent four hours on deck and filed a flight plan for a flight back to Columbia. These presidents and conference commissioners are good, but they're not Colonel Nathan Jessup good. They can't make flights just disappear.

They should have hired Amelia Earhart as pilot.

Reaction Score
Idaho is closer to KC than Morgantown. If they add BYU and Nevada it's a great fit.

Columbia to Boise is 1500 miles
Columbia to Morgantown is 700 miles

As I said, look at a map. It's not closer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Columbia to Boise is 1500 miles
Columbia to Morgantown is 700 miles

As I said, look at a map. It's not closer.
Columbia is the eastern most point of the conference. Talk to the people there. Other than St Louis people, none of them want anything to do with schools east of the Mississippi.

Reaction Score
The new big east come next week (I hope) - with some kind of revenue sharing agreement post 2013 among the football schools to ensure that they can retain the BCS status long term should the conference eventually divide due to market forces.
So - the All sports division in two pods to play home and home geographically yearly and home and home annually with other pod, and rotate the other division.

UConn
Rutgers
West Virginia
Temple

Louisville
Cincinatti
South Florida
TCU

The catholic /non-football division (call it what you want)

Villanova
St. Johns
Providence
Seton Hall

Notre Dame
Georgetown
Marquette
DePaul

It would work, it would be majorly powerful in TV broadcasting rights, and it would squeeze the hell out of Notre Dame to start to bank on home an dhome with DePaul, Marquette and Georgetown as the core of their schedules in everything but football.

Good luck getting the catholic colleges to agree to it.
"The catholic /non-football division (call it what you want)"... can we call them GONE? Nothing personal, just business.

Reaction Score
Listening to talk radio this afternoon here in Florida, some good reporters found a flight plan for a private jet leaving from Columbia, MO today, travelling to Birmingham, Al (Home office of SEC). It landed, spent four hours on deck and filed a flight plan for a flight back to Columbia. These presidents and conference commissioners are good, but they're not Colonel Nathan Jessup good. They can't make flights just disappear.

As a side bar, how comes the SEC can put their offices in Birmingham which isn't home to any conference teams and be successful? Is Birmingham really that much of a better city than Providence? (Sarcasm off).
Very nice...you too can handle the truth.

Reaction Score
Nothing says "don't give a s***" like waiting over two weeks after getting raided to even meet.
Yup, those BE leaders really should consider buying phones or other modern technology-type gizmos. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The basketball schools and the football schools should split, now. The basketball schools have been through enough. I hope that's what happens at the next meeting. All the basketball schools make money from hoops, football has and always will be a problem for the Big East brand.

I'm sure the angry footballers on this site will continue their tedious blame game directed at the basketball schools. As well as their pathetic jabs at the Big East's tireless commissioner and the great city of Providence. The unfortunate truth is all the football schools need more money to try and make a marginal profit. They will always go wherever the grass is greener (money). Everyone agrees that every Big East school would have done what Syracuse and Pitt did given the opportunity.

The basketball school presidents know this roller coaster ride is far from over. They don't want to deal with this issue every few years. It's not fair to them to be subsidizing football programs with basketball revenues. The Big East needs to be building it's brand and going back to it's roots as a basketball league of mainly private urban based schools.

The football experiment was an attempt to keep BC, Syracuse and Pitt happy but, the ACC wasn't having it. Those schools are all in the ACC now, it's time to move forward.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The basketball schools and the football schools should split, now. The basketball schools have been through enough. I hope that's what happens at the next meeting. All the basketball schools make money from hoops, football has and always will be a problem for the Big East brand.

I'm sure the angry footballers on this site will continue their tedious blame game directed at the basketball schools. As well as their pathetic jabs at the Big East's tireless commissioner and the great city of Providence. The unfortunate truth is all the football schools need more money to try and make a marginal profit. They will always go wherever the grass is greener (money). Everyone agrees that every Big East school would have done what Syracuse and Pitt did given the opportunity.

The basketball school presidents know this roller coaster ride is far from over. They don't want to deal with this issue every few years. It's not fair to them to be subsidizing football programs with basketball revenues. The Big East needs to be building it's brand and going back to it's roots as a basketball league of mainly private urban based schools.

The football experiment was an attempt to keep BC, Syracuse and Pitt happy but, the ACC wasn't having it. Those schools are all in the ACC now, it's time to move forward.
Is that you FriarJ?

Reaction Score
Any notion of splitting-off from the basketball schools is idiotic. The only thing we have going for us now is that we are still in a great basketball and olympic sports conference. If we split from the basketball schools we will be in a 2nd rate football conference, 2nd rate basketball conference and a 3rd rate olympic sports conference.

Reaction Score
Columbia is the eastern most point of the conference. Talk to the people there. Other than St Louis people, none of them want anything to do with schools east of the Mississippi.

You're the one that said Boise was closer. I was saying it's twice as far away. People said the same thing about TCU moving to the BE, and in the end, TCU made it a point to show that it would cut down on travel by playing BE schools, that the time zone suited the school better, and that travel was cheaper to East Coast hubs.

That's the big thing. Affiliating yourself with Boise is like affiliating yourself with UNLV basketball in the early 1990s. Success there is very unlikely to be sustained. Beyond that, you want to schedule games in the eastern and central time zones, for obvious reasons.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You're the one that said Boise was closer. I was saying it's twice as far away. People said the same thing about TCU moving to the BE, and in the end, TCU made it a point to show that it would cut down on travel by playing BE schools, that the time zone suited the school better, and that travel was cheaper to East Coast hubs.

That's the big thing. Affiliating yourself with Boise is like affiliating yourself with UNLV basketball in the early 1990s. Success there is very unlikely to be sustained. Beyond that, you want to schedule games in the eastern and central time zones, for obvious reasons.

I was wrong on the distance (though I said KC, not Columbia). On the psychology, I stand by what I said. The Big VII, which just lost Colorado, feels like the mountain states are a better fit than any eastern schools. I do think Louisville and Cincy are more "midwestern" and would probably be acceptable. If they could land Arkansas, I think expansion to Memphis and Louisville would be attractive.

On the other hand, if Missouri leaves, Ames, Iowa becomes the eastern edge of the conference.

Reaction Score
I was wrong on the distance (though I said KC, not Columbia). On the psychology, I stand by what I said. The Big VII, which just lost Colorado, feels like the mountain states are a better fit than any eastern schools. I do think Louisville and Cincy are more "midwestern" and would probably be acceptable. If they could land Arkansas, I think expansion to Memphis and Louisville would be attractive.

On the other hand, if Missouri leaves, Ames, Iowa becomes the eastern edge of the conference.

I've followed the thinking down there and it seems to me that they would much rather play in eastern media markets, eastern time zones, more populated areas with better football, than strap themselves to the unpopulated and very distant mountain west.

I for one think Boise st is a flash in the pan like a great many flash in the pans that preceded them.

Reaction Score
I for one think Boise st is a flash in the pan like a great many flash in the pans that preceded them.
That's been a pretty long flash then, b/c Boise has been a more than respectable FB program for a decent amount of time.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I've followed the thinking down there and it seems to me that they would much rather play in eastern media markets, eastern time zones, more populated areas with better football, than strap themselves to the unpopulated and very distant mountain west.

I'm hearing the opposite on the KU and other boards and in the local media. They are cringing at the idea of having anything to do with the Big East. Some of them support Louisville and some think WVU would be ok.

Reaction Score
I just got off the KU board, and the consensus seems to be that they believe MO stays and they get Louisville.

Reaction Score
That's been a pretty long flash then, b/c Boise has been a more than respectable FB program for a decent amount of time.

Really? Not longer than Kansas St. and Colorado. Those were top notch programs when they employed the same recruiting methods that Boise did. But eventually the NCAA caught up and those programs went south pretty quick.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Really? Not longer than Kansas St. and Colorado. Those were top notch programs when they employed the same recruiting methods that Boise did. But eventually the NCAA caught up and those programs went south pretty quick.

Please do not get righteous here. Penn State had more criminals over the last 10 years than just about any program in the country. Boise State is successful and they are doing it the right way. It is pathetic and very small of everyone who bashes the program.

Reaction Score
Please do not get righteous here. Penn State had more criminals over the last 10 years than just about any program in the country. Boise State is successful and they are doing it the right way. It is pathetic and very small of everyone who bashes the program.

They had more criminals? No they didn't.
The right way? You mean the wrong way?

You should stop watching college sports if you're seriously holding to the idea that Boise is doing it right and PSU is doing it wrong. Anyone who holds this opinion has lost their cotton pickin' mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom