BIG EAST 2023-24 AWARDS | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BIG EAST 2023-24 AWARDS

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Looking at 1st Team and 2nd Team, it is a senior/graduate-laden group. Players who are coming back (with certainty):

Paige, Lucy Olsen, and Olivia Olsen.

Reaction Score
All-BIG EAST First Team
Paige Bueckers, UConn, R-Jr., G*
Aaliyah Edwards, UConn, Sr., F*
Lauren Jensen, Creighton, Sr., G*
Morgan Maly, Creighton, Sr., G/F
Emma Ronsiek, Creighton, Sr., F*
Kelsey Ransom, Georgetown, Sr., G
Liza Karlen, Marquette, Sr., F*
Unique Drake, St. John’s, R-Sr., G*
Azana Baines, Seton Hall, Grad., G/F
Lucy Olsen, Villanova, Jr., G*

All-BIG EAST Second Team
Caroline Strande, Butler, Sr., G
Nika Mühl, UConn, Sr., G
Anaya Peoples, DePaul, Grad., G
Jordan King, Marquette, Sr., G
Olivia Olsen, Providence, Jr., F

All-BIG EAST Honorable Mention
Ashlynn Shade, UConn, Fr., G

Mackenzie Hare, Marquette, So., G
Jillian Archer, St. John’s, Grad., F
Christina Dalce, Villanova, Jr., F

BIG EAST All-Freshman Team^
Riley Makalusky, Butler, Fr., G/F
KK Arnold, UConn, Fr., G*
Ashlynn Shade, UConn, Fr., G*

Savannah Catalon, Seton Hall, Fr., G*
Maddie Webber, Villanova, Fr., G*
Aizhanique Mayo, Xavier, R-Fr., G
All the starters had a recognition, I enjoy this

Reaction Score
While I congratulate all the winners of the respective awards, I’m not really sure how to feel about these results. On one hand, I’m ecstatic that UConn shone brightly, but on the other hand, I’m a bit disappointed in the results. I was hoping for Co-champions, as in:
Co-FOY — Ashlyn and KK
Co-POY — Aaliyah and Paige
In any event, I’m a Boneyarder who’s happy about UConn’s success! Go Huskies!!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I have a problem with 1 award: DPOY. Nika deserved a third.
Without really digging into stats, I agree. I've always thought that successfully defending an opponent's top scorer(s) is more valuable than a taller player getting a bunch of blocks. Then again, I may be a bit biased. ;)

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
While I congratulate all the winners of the respective awards, I’m not really sure how to feel about these results. On one hand, I’m ecstatic that UConn shone brightly, but on the other hand, I’m a bit disappointed in the results. I was hoping for Co-champions, as in:
Co-FOY — Ashlyn and KK
Co-POY — Aaliyah and Paige
In any event, I’m a Boneyarder who’s happy about UConn’s success! Go Huskies!!
This was also my pipe dream, however the other 10 coaches would have had to align perfectly and split the votes for POY and FOY. All in all though, a successful day!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The two selections for DPOY - no. Nika, without question deserved a third DPOY. Might want to ask Unique Drake a few others about Nika's defense.

Since I'm slightly biased, Nika should have been on the first team all big east.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Who is your avatar by now, please ?
March is Women’s History Month. My first honoree:

4663EFED-2B7E-4478-B79E-3DB433B5664B.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What Geno has accomplished this season has been astonishing. He has half a team comprised of, essentially, 7 players, of which 4 are freshmen, and went undefeated in an increasingly challenging conference. He really is the G.O.A.T.

8A8017C5-A9AA-4E28-8E74-907BD1D7E693.jpeg

Reaction Score
I'm so glad that #12 got the honors she so richly deserved. It's not just the numbers you put up, it's everything else you do to help your team win. I'm sure that I'm misquoting someone when I say, " I just feel better when she's on the court ".

Reaction Score
The two selections for DPOY - no. Nika, without question deserved a third DPOY. Might want to ask Unique Drake a few others about Nika's defense.

Since I'm slightly biased, Nika should have been on the first team all big east.
I feel sorry for the players Nika will be assigned to defend during the BE tournament! Nika will not take this slight lightly.

Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the issues with CoDPOY or CoFOY is that with 11 teams, in order for a tie to occur, at least 3 players have to receive votes. That clearly occurred with DPOY with either a 5/5/1 split or a 4/4/3 split, with Nika likely in 3rd place. With no individual award being unanimous, we can also assume that Aaliyah got some votes for POY and KK got some votes for FOY.

Congratulations to everyone who received recognition. On to the BE tournament.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
One of the issues with CoDPOY or CoFOY is that with 11 teams, in order for a tie to occur, at least 3 players have to receive votes. That clearly occurred with DPOY with either a 5/5/1 split or a 4/4/3 split, with Nika likely in 3rd place. With no individual award being unanimous, we can also assume that Aaliyah got some votes for POY and KK got some votes for FOY.

Congratulations to everyone who received recognition. On to the BE tournament.
Hmm. I thought that you could not vote for your own player? Or is that preseason voting?

Reaction Score
Scanning the list of the awards I noted that all of the players are listed as guards or forwards. Brianna Scott is the only award winner listed at 6’4” on her team’s roster. Upon further review I saw that there are only about 6 or 7 players in the conference who are listed at 6’4” or taller (including Jana). Bigs are a lot scarcer than I realized.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Sorry! But my initial reaction is that the Big East consists of a bunch of gutless wonders. A 'First Team' should be made up of 5 players. When the rules are changed to allow 10 on the court from each team at one time, I'll accept a 10 player first team. Make a GD decision!!! Who are the 5 starters among the 10 names? Why not put together a 10 member second team too? Are the second team named actually the third team?

This just reeks of participation trophies for all the kids on the 0 - 12 soccer team. Can't have anyone feel bad about themselves now, can we?

Now that my rant is over, congratulations to all of the players who were chosen.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Scanning the list of the awards I noted that all of the players are listed as guards or forwards. Brianna Scott is the only award winner listed at 6’4” on her team’s roster. Upon further review I saw that there are only about 6 or 7 players in the conference who are listed at 6’4” or taller (including Jana). Bigs are a lot scarcer than I realized.
Actually, it’s 6-5 and taller girls who are rare. A 6-5 tall person has 77 inches of height. Now imagine the percentage of 6-5 women who are elite basketball players - the percentage of the population is tiny. There is no large pool of very tall women capable of playing elite level ball to choose from

D391BF45-DE83-4C2C-AFDF-029F565EB3B8.jpeg
66B00D2C-123E-4C05-B924-54966D6E5CA2.jpeg

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak