Big Blue Nation having a very normal Tuesday | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Big Blue Nation having a very normal Tuesday

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Actually, Andre Drummond was in Oakland, Michigan last night with his Pistons teammates
I'm pretty sure Drummond was playing in Chicago against the Knicks.

Reaction Score
UK has a larger fan base than Uconn, and they will outdraw us in any neutral site venue, including MSG. With that said, they'll outdraw just about ANY other school.
It also doesn’t really matter. We sell out our games, we support nil, and we care about the program. That’s all a coach is going to care about. He’s not leaving a perfect situation in the midst of a dynasty to go from the 10th most passionate fan base to the 2nd (just throwing out arbitrary numbers). Especially when it would be a terrible geographical/family fit, which Hurley clearly cares more about than most coaches. Ranking the fanbases is just message board/social media fodder, especially for fans of programs that have been severely outmatched when it comes to on the court results over the past 30 years so they have to find something else to make the argument about.

Reaction Score
The Purdue fans I talked to almost universally said things like " I did not go for our last FF in 1980 and I was not going to miss this one". Ours fans -arrogant and spoiled as we are- went last year in huge numbers and had a Women's FF at the same time this year. If it had been 45 years since our last FF we would have filled the whole stadium as well.

Reaction Score
Northeasterners +New York probably have a higher percentage of adults with passports than the rest of the country.
sure but you dont need a passport to get to the final four

Reaction Score
It also doesn’t really matter. We sell out our games, we support nil, and we care about the program. That’s all a coach is going to care about. He’s not leaving a perfect situation in the midst of a dynasty to go from the 10th most passionate fan base to the 2nd (just throwing out arbitrary numbers). Especially when it would be a terrible geographical/family fit, which Hurley clearly cares more about than most coaches. Ranking the fanbases is just message board/social media fodder, especially for fans of programs that have been severely outmatched when it comes to on the court results over the past 30 years so they have to find something else to make the argument about.
Along the same lines the money is probably not that big of a deal either. Whether he stays at UConn or goes to Kentucky because in their words they are willing to back the Brinks truck up for him, he's set for life. At this point all of these quantifiable things like size of fan base, salary, etc. are beyond the point of diminishing returns compared to things like quality of life, family, and overall happiness so I don't see him sacrificing those things for an extra thousand or two fans at road games or another million or two dollars a year.

Reaction Score
Their message board is an absolute riot! This was one of my favorites:

"What has UConn got that UK hasn't?
Have they got better tradition?..... NO
Have they got better facilities?.......NO
Have they got a larger more passionate fan base?.... NO
Do they get more media coverage that UK?.... NO
Have they got more 5-Star recruits & future NBA players than UK?... NO

I mean what am I missing here. What have they got that we don't?"
Ugh, Dan Hurley?

Reaction Score
It is crazy reading some of their most recent posts. The same people who think all anyone should care about is money and can't understand why he wouldn't want to go there are the same people posting horrible things that would clearly deter anyone from going there. They don't understand that they are the reason he wouldn't want to go.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It is crazy reading some of their most recent posts. The same people who think all anyone should care about is money and can't understand why he wouldn't want to go there are the same people posting horrible things that would clearly deter anyone from going there. They don't understand that they are the reason he wouldn't want to go.
Agree.

I also want to add that the microscope the new coach and his players will be under (not much different than what they had under Calipari) would make it impossible for a coach like DH to implement the culture that is needed for his coaching to work. I'm pretty confident that DH is aware of this.

Reaction Score
Governor Lamont said they'd do anything to keep DH. And then a KY fan said "KY is going to throw so much money at Hurley, CT is gonna be bankrupt trying to match"
Now look, I live next to KY, it's a beautiful state, with kind beautiful people, but it's not exactly Dubai. What is this narrative that the south is rolling in dough and the northeast is scraping by on a medieval agrarian pittance?

Reaction Score
Governor Lamont said they'd do anything to keep DH. And then a KY fan said "KY is going to throw so much money at Hurley, CT is gonna be bankrupt trying to match"
Now look, I live next to KY, it's a beautiful state, with kind beautiful people, but it's not exactly Dubai. What is this narrative that the south is rolling in dough and the northeast is scraping by on a medieval agrarian pittance?
It's the boosters, and they are generally right about having the deeper pockets because college sports is a way of life for them. A point of pride I guess it's part of that southern heritage/culture/whatever.

Reaction Score
They are something.

Hurley: I have a long history of turning down more money to stay where I fit. I fit here and I cannot imagine being anywhere else.

UK fans: See? He didn't say, "no."

Reaction Score
Coach Hurley did a pretty classy departure from URI. He seemed to be open with them, didn't poach all his players and coaches and kept the UConn leftovers. With the transfer portal becoming as/more important than NLI days, I would think Coach will want to end any speculation about Kentucky quickly. If he goes (I certainly hope he doesn't and think it would be the wrong move for him) we should know quickly. He wouldn't want to hurt UConn and would need to hit the trail quickly for UK. If he's staying, it would be in his benefit to get some money from UConn and end the process quickly so it isn't used against him in recruiting.

Also, I know it got a big stressful when Pitt was trying to pull him from us, but I'd like to think we weren't as bad as the UK fans when we wanted Hurley from URI. They are downright creepy and stalkerish. They seem proud that they are flooding his social pages with begging and bragging. I'd be seriously concerned about that behavior if I was the Hurley family. But maybe that's because I and most UConn fans have some balance in our lives.

Reaction Score
iyAL1xm.png

Reaction Score
It's the boosters, and they are generally right about having the deeper pockets because college sports is a way of life for them. A point of pride I guess it's part of that southern heritage/culture/whatever
No doubt that the majority comes from boosters. There is just this tinge of arrogance that kentucky is somehow the playground of the rich and famous. Either way, there are more wealthy people in CT than in 80% of the country and now that UConn bball is in that rarified air, I don't think more boosters signing on here is unfathomable

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom