"Big 5" states similar to CT or smaller ... | The Boneyard

"Big 5" states similar to CT or smaller ...

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Occasionally I hear that Connecticut may be too small to support a "Power Conference" football program. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen - especially in a state like Texas (where I am) which is obsessed with size. Well, here's a list of the eight states with populations nearly identical or smaller than Connecticut that have a "Big 5" football program. Most of them even have two schools in the Big 5.

West Virginia
Mississippi (2)
Oklahoma (2)
Kansas (2)
Nebraska
Iowa (2)
Utah
Oregon (2)

This is not earth shattering news. I just think it's good to remember this every once in a while.

Reaction Score
Football culture is way stronger in all of those states besides Utah and Oregon, and Oregon has Nike. Ill give you Utah. Fact remains, UConn will never be a consistently good football program. We will have to just enjoy nice seasons like 2011 once every blue moon.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Occasionally I hear that Connecticut may be too small to support a "Power Conference" football program. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen - especially in a state like Texas (where I am) which is obsessed with size. Well, here's a list of the eight states with populations nearly identical or smaller than Connecticut that have a "Big 5" football program. Most of them even have two schools in the Big 5.

West Virginia
Mississippi (2)
Oklahoma (2)
Kansas (2)
Nebraska
Iowa (2)
Utah
Oregon (2)

This is not earth shattering news. I just think it's good to remember this every once in a while.

There's way less going on in a lot of these states within, say, 6 hours of home. WVU, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa. In these states there really isn't much else to do. Not that Connecticut is LA, but you could just as easily go see the Patriots/Giants/Jets play, go to NYC or Boston, etc. Not a single one of these states has a pro football team, and though CT doesn't either, CT is so small that if we were the size of these other states we'd have multiple teams in our geographic footprint.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nice list but irrelevant. They're old money and part of the cartel.

Correct list is to compare UConn to other G5 competitors. That's who UConn is competing against for the future.

Reaction Score
Nice list but irrelevant. They're old money and part of the cartel.

Correct list is to compare UConn to other G5 competitors. That's who UConn is competing against for the future.
Whose going to pay to watch either Mississippi team if P5 goes their own way?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Whose going to pay to watch either Mississippi team if P5 goes their own way?

If P5's split off those two Mississippi schools are going. Why? Because LSU, Alabama, Auburn, etc fans will pay good money to bring those schools with them so they have patsies and easy away games to go to.

Reaction Score
Fans will pay good money to bring those schools with them so they have patsies and easy away games to go to.
That sounds like the same rationale BC and Syracuse should have to favor UConn!

Reaction Score
Where does UConn rate academically among those school?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That sounds like the same rationale BC and Syracuse should have to favor UConn!

I'm not holding my breath expecting those schools to vocally support UConn like the SEC schools will do to stick up for their smaller breathren. I'm certain BCU and Cuse don't have the same clout.

Reaction Score
The Giants, Yankees, Jets, Red Sox, Bruins, Mets, Celtics and Patriots haven't hurt the UConn women's basketball fan base. The bottom line is if UConn football won 90+% of their games every year the big squabble around the state would be how big to expand the Rent and should it be partially covered, how big the mall attached to the stadium should be and... should there be a hotel attached to one end of the stadium or both.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom