Big 12 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My bad… I thought that had the By-Laws as an attachment. I believe it’s 27 months.
So, say we got an offer to join in September of this year. That would take us to what January 2026? The language in the contract is based on "full years" of membership. So I think we would be in through the end of the 2026 - 2027 season for basketball. I wonder if we can join in 27 for Baseball and still get the $15 million exit fee?

Reaction Score
It would take just two years to recover the 30 million BE exit Fee and I don't think Amore is even factoring in increased ticket revenue and donations for football. At the end of the day the exit fee should not be an obstacle in making this decision, it's called spending money to make money otherwise known as an investment.

Amore, along with just about everyone here, also isn't factoring in the football playoff money which is close to 20 million more.

Reaction Score
Well, I would challenge that. The portal and DH himself had more to do with that. The NBE by itself is not a huge draw. The recent post about numbers from conferences in the NBA playoffs is indicative of that. And Clingan was a local kid always pointing to UConn once he heard DH. The NBE has a few old rivals but also a lot of teams that do not excite. And UConn can still play those old rivals in their OOC schedule as they can do with the old rivals in the ACC.
Being a P5 school makes us a MUCH more attractive opponent for OOC scheduling in just about every sport.

Reaction Score
I am for exploring all options before making a significant move that is hard to undo.

If there is a possibility that in the near future... before 2036...some form of the ACC is an option, that needs to be explored.

If there is a possibility the Big12 will continue to lose schools to other conferences, that needs to be understood.

If UConn's decision makers decide after weighing out all options that the Big 12 is the right move...I will trust they did their leg work and I will fully support the move
I think we should ponder in case another boat comes by to take us off the island.

Reaction Score
If we are successful in the B12 in football and basketball, it will open doors to much bigger things. If we crap the bed, the way we did in the American, we are screwiledoed.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I hear you, but suppose they are farther along than we think. And UConn gets a B12 offer next week. Leaving aside that these offers are never made unless it is privately known that the answer will be YES, let's just say that the offer is made next week and will expire on the fourth of July. What would be your answer given that you will not have all the information you just said you wanted. This is what happens in the real world.

My answer would be yes based on what we know today. Waiting for all the information you want is almost never an option in the real world.
Based on what WE know...you take the offer.

But..I have a feeling there is a lot more happening that we don't know about. I just hope UConn is plugged into that information so they can make the best decision.

Reaction Score
Based on what WE know...you take the offer.

But..I have a feeling there is a lot more happening that we don't know about. I just hope UConn is plugged into that information so they can make the best decision.
It is a university. Lots of bright minds there. I assume they will model the various scenarios.

Reaction Score
That is never how an athletic department has worked
You have some special insight here? Because if the models are not already built and kept up to date for just this situation I would be very surprised. Either in house or outsourced.

Reaction Score
WVU took the Big 12 offer but would have rather of had an ACC offer at the time. WVU and Cinci would be UConns most scheduled teams as an East division

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
If we accept the 'best case scenario,' by all means we should move to the Big 12 or some other 'P5" conference. However, the impression here is that we would be getting a FULL share almost immediately from the new conference. To my knowledge, that has not happened to any school that has transferred to a new conference. Rutgers made more money than they had previously, but their deficit grew. They are still only getting about half of the full Big 0 payout.

Chances are we'd be getting roughly half of the Big 12 payout - maybe $15M - and some of that would come at the expense of money we are currently generating that would go into the conference pocket. You have the increased travel costs that has been noted. But the greater level of competition significantly reduces the opportunity to make a men's basketball statement as we have in the Big East (although women's basketball would likely not be affected much). Final Fours would be harder to come by.

And do you seriously think we are going to go 5-7, 6-6, 7-5 in a league with Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Texas Christian, WVU, BYU, not to mention Baylor, UCF, and Cincy (that went to the playoffs a couple years ago)? Even Kansas and K-State would be a major challenge. You can believe that we'll only get better players by affiliation with a more major conference, but there is no guarantee that the Big !2 will even BE a major conference in the next few years. Again, take a look at the reality - what schools that moved to a new conference over the past 20 years are now thriving? Are now in the mix for conference championships - especially in football? BC? Syracuse? Missouri? A&M? Maryland? Rutgers? Colorado?

Don't even get me started on the payouts to the Big East, the entry fees to the new conference - some of which coincides with the payouts from the AAC and Ollie.

Smell the coffee, folks! No matter how much you want to be considered at the same level as Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, that's not who we are. Oh, and that's not who New England is. New England will go bonkers for basketball - always have and always will - but football is not high on the radar. Could we do better? Sure. Mora will have us there soon, I think. But against a decent schedule that gives us a chance at 9-3, 10-2 seasons. One thing you can say about New England. We really LOVE a winner. If we are part of the Big 10, Big 12, AAC (watered down), being a winner in football at least is not in the cards. Being a winner in the bank account isn't either.

Reaction Score
If we accept the 'best case scenario,' by all means we should move to the Big 12 or some other 'P5" conference. However, the impression here is that we would be getting a FULL share almost immediately from the new conference. To my knowledge, that has not happened to any school that has transferred to a new conference. Rutgers made more money than they had previously, but their deficit grew. They are still only getting about half of the full Big 0 payout.

Chances are we'd be getting roughly half of the Big 12 payout - maybe $15M - and some of that would come at the expense of money we are currently generating that would go into the conference pocket. You have the increased travel costs that has been noted. But the greater level of competition significantly reduces the opportunity to make a men's basketball statement as we have in the Big East (although women's basketball would likely not be affected much). Final Fours would be harder to come by.

And do you seriously think we are going to go 5-7, 6-6, 7-5 in a league with Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Texas Christian, WVU, BYU, not to mention Baylor, UCF, and Cincy (that went to the playoffs a couple years ago)? Even Kansas and K-State would be a major challenge. You can believe that we'll only get better players by affiliation with a more major conference, but there is no guarantee that the Big !2 will even BE a major conference in the next few years. Again, take a look at the reality - what schools that moved to a new conference over the past 20 years are now thriving? Are now in the mix for conference championships - especially in football? BC? Syracuse? Missouri? A&M? Maryland? Rutgers? Colorado?

Don't even get me started on the payouts to the Big East, the entry fees to the new conference - some of which coincides with the payouts from the AAC and Ollie.

Smell the coffee, folks! No matter how much you want to be considered at the same level as Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, that's not who we are. Oh, and that's not who New England is. New England will go bonkers for basketball - always have and always will - but football is not high on the radar. Could we do better? Sure. Mora will have us there soon, I think. But against a decent schedule that gives us a chance at 9-3, 10-2 seasons. One thing you can say about New England. We really LOVE a winner. If we are part of the Big 10, Big 12, AAC (watered down), being a winner in football at least is not in the cards. Being a winner in the bank account isn't either.
There are no guarantees in anything. No guarantee the Big East is getting a better tv deal. No guarantee there wont be a total split of the top 80 or so schools. Its the one thing in your post i agree with. There are no guarantees.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If we are successful in the B12 in football and basketball, it will open doors to much bigger things. If we crap the bed, the way we did in the American, we are screwiledoed.
I guess, but I doubt we go full Boston College there.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
1684694607432.png

Reaction Score

Truthfully, did you think we would fail playing football in the Big East?

Reaction Score
So UConn AD DB refuses to confirm or deny the reports of a Yormark visit to Storrs. That in itself tells us it happened. But just to confirm our suspicions, I reached out to sources for an off the record yay or nay. No reply. My conclusion is that it indeed happened. No reply is all the confirmation I need.

The theory that UConn has come into play now that one suitor has appeared is reinforced by CONN78SEJ's post. Guess I am not surprised. The next month will be interesting.
If that suitor, is the ACC are we gonna really fall for the "you're next" routine. We know rhe B1G ain't calling. Must be the SEC!

Reaction Score

With all due respect, the way things stand now is not sustainable. I know you love your Big East, but being there was only ever an interim fix. B12 is a stronger conference in both MBB and WBB. You will love it.

Reaction Score
UCLA/USC are getting full share revenue from B1G from Day 1 but they are UCLA/USC and have leverage (which UConn does not).

Rutgers took out league loans against their future earnings so won’t get full share revenue until 2027 I believe.

Reaction Score
UCLA/USC are getting full share revenue from B1G from Day 1 but they are UCLA/USC and have leverage (which UConn does not).

Rutgers took out league loans against their future earnings so won’t get full share revenue until 2027 I believe.

Apparently we do have leverage. Its not the smartest leverage, but it's leverage

With the portion of the fan base so vocal about not doing this, and DB's tweet already reflecting this, he may have to say we need full shares immediately to justify it to the fan base

Reaction Score
Apparently we do have leverage. Its not the smartest leverage, but it's leverage

With the portion of the fan base so vocal about not doing this, and DB's tweet already reflecting this, he may have to say we need full shares immediately to justify it to the fan base
That's not really leverage. That's cutting your nose to spite your face. Everyone needs to be realistic. Give a little to get a lot.

Reaction Score

If there are multiple suitors, UConn will have leverage even if many on this board think that one of the suitors may not be viable long term.

And even if there aren't, UConn's current position may not be sustainable long term, but for the short or medium term it clearly is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom