Big 12 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I would also add that being in the Big 12 is still a great position if the ACC breaks up. The "ACC leftover/Big East merge" is a nice idea but, realistically, far fetched. The UConn'd Big 12 would be in a great position to add Pitt, for starters.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The wildcard scenario to consider for those who advocate passing on the B12 is one where the ACC splinters and those schools decide that its easier to fold into the B12 than to form their own conf and start from scratch. If we go to the B12 we can be a part of the selection process next time around (inside looking out). The B12 will be well positioned to grab Louisville, Pitt, Duke and gulp, Syracuse right out of the gate. The BE left overs might be a quiet party of two; Wake and BC.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Here's my thought:

• Big 12 surely doesn't want football only - they surely want all 3 teams of value (FB, MBB, WBB), + the rest, sure why not who cares at that point.
  • Big 12's future is murky at best - we should NOT give them our 3 best assets as a package, especially not M/WBB without a clearer picture on what conference re-alignment will look like when the dust settles. Personally i would not go to Big 12 ever.
  • To that point, the dust has not settled at all on conference re-alignment. I believe that when it's all said and done, the prized ponies of each P5 conference will have moved to the P2 (B1G/SEC). Let's be frank - even with M/WBB, UConn has NO chance of getting into either of those conference. Not now, not tomorrow, not in 10 years. Maybe 20, but it's not happening anytime soon.
  • That being said, once the poaching happens, a lot of schools will remain outside the P2 party, along with us. When that happens, we re-assess the landscape as it stands.
  • By this point, football may be its own governing body anyway, and there won't really be a need to drag all sports to a conference. If the stars align, many other schools will find themselves in our current position and simply join forces, to form new conferences. Thinking schools like ACC leftovers (Louisville, Virginia Tech, WF, Duke, GA Tech, Syr, Pitt, BC), Pac 12 leftovers (UC Berkeley, WA State, OR State, Stanford, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, AZ State), Big 12 leftovers (Kansas, K-State, Iowa St, OK State, Baylor, Tx Tech, AAC wannabes) will need to find a home for their programs, while also protecting their basketball interests. Sound familiar???
  • Thus, I'd love to see UConn form football-only regional alignments with schools in the same situation.

Until all the dust settles, we pay close attention to the landscape but we should only FOCUS on 3 things:
  • Win football games; Make the best schedule you can make - right now let's not worry about where the opponent is Geographically, just WIN.
  • protect MBB and keep its pedigree as high as possible - keep Coach Hurley happy and under contract.
  • Protect WBB and keep its pedigree as high as possible - Ensure the transition plan to Geno's successor is solid and we don't allow Kevin Ollie 2.0 to happen on the women's side.

Until the dust settles, Big East + FB Indep it is, for us. it's a GREAT home, albeit not the most lucrative, but the matchups make sense and we can protect basketball until something better comes along, if ever.

My heart would shatter if we went to B12 just to see it turn into an AAC or worse, the WAC? Remember the WAC? 20 years ago it was on its way to becoming a prestigious/quality conference, with solid flagship western institutions (Nevada, Boise State, Hawaii, Fresno, etc) and a growing list of signature wins by its programs. Now, it's a mishmash of schools you've never heard of, from out west. Truly sad.
What I was saying....but you said it better than me.

Reaction Score
Would you rather play in a watered down ACC (without some of the unhappy 7)...or the Big 12? If you sign up to play UCF every year, you lose the chance to be in a conference with BC, Pitt and Cuse.

Indy schedule is fine for football...BE hoops is strong...wait for a better option.
Um, if we play UCF every tear, then that means we play a full hand of top 25 teams(likely 2 home and 2 away) and other programs more attractive than many on our independent skeds. Throw in 3 or 4 games against our geographic rivals (Syra/Pitt, BC, Rutgers, Navy, Army, etc.) and it's far from a bad setup.

Reaction Score
Travel ain't nothing. I saw another post that said that Big East meant saving 2 million on travel. On the other hand it is made up by the difference in media money.

I do think that there's an advantage in playing schools that are viewed as geographic peers and that's what's been harming certain programs... Pitt, BC, Syracuse, I'm sure there's others.

My view is that something easier to swallow will come along. Big 12 seems to be flailing a bit. I agree with the idea that the Big12 itself will get poached and eventually it will evolve into AAC 2.0 with a little bit of (bad) luck.

What seems to be becoming clear is there's going to be a national alliance of left-over schools between the pac, 12, and acc remains. The question is what does that coalition look like.
Agreed - I think it'll end up being (perhaps in a decade, perhaps earlier) the B1G, the SEC, and another conference/alliance of the remaining top ~ 40 FBS programs split by geographic scheduling and with relatively limited access to the CFP.

That way everyone theoretically has a chance to get into a 12 or 16 team CFP, pretty much every FB program that matters/really cares about competing at high level football exists in an environment of peers, can make at least a little bit of money after expenses, keep up their exposure to alumns and donors, keep needed academic and research connections within their peer groups (i.e. AAU, R1, Carnegie, etc). Nobody (conferences or tv outlets) has any/much blood on their hands, university presidents can keep all their career move options open, etc.

So, if that or something similar occurs it won't really matter if we land in the Big12 or ACC in the next few years because we will land in that third conference in the end.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Waiting for 2036 might put us in a place that is far, far too late for action. I would prefer the ACC all else being equal, but if the offer comes, I'm in - the rest can be sorted out in the next round coming in 2036.
It already has with P5 vs G5. We are already branded poorly. CR will have many more iterations, but it is better to be in a P than a G from a perception standpoint.

Want another reason the Big 12 is ahead of the ACC right now? The ACC is trying to eat itself for money. Brett Yormak has a plan. That puts them light years ahead of the ACC down the road.

Reaction Score
What? Mind explaining how?
Texas and OU were the money of the conference. They added 4 schools no one really cares about outside of BYU. The TV money is going to be drastically cut because they won't have the interest in the Big 12 without Texas and OU. The Pac 12 won't be far behind with UCLA and USC leaving

Reaction Score
THe only hope for UConn getting into a P5 is if the Big 10 comes calling. ACC would be a great fit for basketball, but once Clemson and FSU leave for the SEC as it's been rumored for years, Tobacco road isn't going to do squat for TV revenue. Essentially it's just the Old Big East at that point.

Reaction Score
"for once"? What's that about?

I don't care how it happens...or who is the leftover...I would just rather play Pitt, Cuse, BC et al rather than Texas tech, TCU and Houston.
Mike Tranghese was on record saying that UConn was constantly playing peace keeper between the FB and BB schools, while other schools were working to leave. He stated as a result of that he would always try and help UConn.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Texas and OU were the money of the conference. They added 4 schools no one really cares about outside of BYU. The TV money is going to be drastically cut because they won't have the interest in the Big 12 without Texas and OU. The Pac 12 won't be far behind with UCLA and USC leaving
They just signed a new media deal that gives an increase for all schools:

Reaction Score
They just signed a new media deal that gives an increase for all schools:

That article makes the case that we should 100% be thinking Big 12. ACC potentially in shambles and instable. We wont be invited to Big10 or SEC. Pac12 falling apart. Big12 the only place with a plan and stability for the next bunch of years and a fantastic payout.

Reaction Score
THe only hope for UConn getting into a P5 is if the Big 10 comes calling. ACC would be a great fit for basketball, but once Clemson and FSU leave for the SEC as it's been rumored for years, Tobacco road isn't going to do squat for TV revenue. Essentially it's just the Old Big East at that point.
You miss the point. There is no p5. There is big10. There is sec. There is the left behind

Reaction Score
Um, if we play UCF every tear, then that means we play a full hand of top 25 teams(likely 2 home and 2 away) and other programs more attractive than many on our independent skeds. Throw in 3 or 4 games against our geographic rivals (Syra/Pitt, BC, Rutgers, Navy, Army, etc.) and it's far from a bad setup.
Don’t forget Cinci and WV.

Reaction Score
Travel ain't nothing. I saw another post that said that Big East meant saving 2 million on travel. On the other hand it is made up by the difference in media money.

I do think that there's an advantage in playing schools that are viewed as geographic peers and that's what's been harming certain programs... Pitt, BC, Syracuse, I'm sure there's others.

My view is that something easier to swallow will come along. Big 12 seems to be flailing a bit. I agree with the idea that the Big12 itself will get poached and eventually it will evolve into AAC 2.0 with a little bit of (bad) luck.

What seems to be becoming clear is there's going to be a national alliance of left-over schools between the pac, 12, and acc remains. The question is what does that coalition look like.
Let’s see $30 million -$2 million in higher travel costs= $28million. $28 million > $5 million. Can you say no brained?

Reaction Score
Left behind with a $30-35 million check every year, to fund athletics, coaches salaries, practice facilities, a makeover for the Rent or an on campus stadium.
Not wrong

Reaction Score
The wildcard scenario to consider for those who advocate passing on the B12 is one where the ACC splinters and those schools decide that its easier to fold into the B12 than to form their own conf and start from scratch. If we go to the B12 we can be a part of the selection process next time around (inside looking out). The B12 will be well positioned to grab Louisville, Pitt, Duke and gulp, Syracuse right out of the gate. The BE left overs might be a quiet party of two; Wake and BC.

any decision like his comes with risk. I think the B12 for UConn is the lowest risk scenario. Success in the B12 and a blowup in research could also lead to B1G consideration in 10-15 years.

Reaction Score
I always enjoy the discussions on this board but I have no idea how this is even a discussion. You go to Big 12 in a heartbeat. It’s an upgrade in all sports. The only thing close is men’s hoops and it’s still an upgrade. Then you win. If you win the fans will come. For any team. People who pine for the big east forget we are the outlier in a private, catholic school league. They will use us as long as they can. We are not like them and we should aspire for bigger things as a large state school. Then there is the financial aspect which will fuel those aspirations.

Reaction Score
Agreed, there's so much $ in the Big 12 because of Texas/Oklahoma. Substitute those two team for UConn/Gonzaga? Yeah networks won't be chomping at the bit...

Reaction Score
You miss the point. There is no p5. There is big10. There is sec. There is the left behind
You people don’t know what you’re talking about. The Big 10 has not won anything in over 20 years, while the ACC has had two national championships very recently. While the PAC 12 and the Big 12 has had several runner ups with Oregon, Oklahoma and TCU, over the same 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom