Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Arizona blocking UConn to the B 12? What a feakin' laugh.

Arizona has no say in how the B 12 will vote. Arizona is in the PAC 12.

More BS from those who are not in the know.
Could also be a bit of keeping a seat open for themselves until the dust settles. We're getting to the point where P5 teams are going to start being stranded as consolidation continues.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Ok, so now what? What does UConn do now? Stay put and see how things play out the next couple of years or try to coerce an invitation to join the ACC?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's about media markets. The Phoenix media market is twice the size of the Hartford market. More potential eyeballs = more media dollars.

Me personally, I think UConn's best bet is when Clemson and Fla St finally bolt the ACC, as the remnants is a basketball-strong conference replete with former Old Big East members. UConn to the Big "12" doesn't make geographic or financial sense unless/until the Big "12" finds several other east coast targets.
UConn has demonstrated that it holds the NYC market and has for decades

Reaction Score
UConn has demonstrated that it holds the NYC market and has for decades
Right on! Also media deals today seem to place increasingly higher value on programming content opportunity rather than strictly media market size or reach. Conferences want eyeballs from all parts of the country to watch their teams, whether they be alumni or fans of their teams in many sports. Revenue-driving sports like football and basketball have national fan bases and thus match-ups with UConn basketball teams would certainly draw eyeballs.

The first P5 conference that figures out the overall accretive value that UConn brings to the media-value table will be rewarded handsomely.

Reaction Score
Your value will rise if wbb strikes a separate media rights deal. No, it won’t come close to football money or mbb deals but it will not be insignificant. Isn’t that supposed to come down sometime this Fall?

Would be interesting to know how the bean counters would calculate the value of a (the) top notch wbb program

Also, I have always considered the “lesser sports” like baseball and wbb to provide a solid value to conference networks even if only as a programming filler. I would think that any conference network would love to have UCONN to “fill” a days broadcasts. I know the SECN loves UConn v SCar or Tenn or you name ‘em.

Reaction Score
Your value will rise if wbb strikes a separate media rights deal. No, it won’t come close to football money or mbb deals but it will not be insignificant. Isn’t that supposed to come down sometime this Fall?

Would be interesting to know how the bean counters would calculate the value of a (the) top notch wbb program

Also, I have always considered the “lesser sports” like baseball and wbb to provide a solid value to conference networks even if only as a programming filler. I would think that any conference network would love to have UCONN to “fill” a days broadcasts. I know the SECN loves UConn v SCar or Tenn or you name ‘em.
A few examples of this include watching Big 12 softball (e.g. OU), Big Ten wrestling (e.g. Penn State, Iowa), and SEC & Pac 12 gymnastics - these all get viewers of those sports across the country. I read in Yahoo Sports that ice hockey is now the 3rd largest revenue sport in the NCAA and UConn's teams are both improving quickly.

Reaction Score
It's about media markets. The Phoenix media market is twice the size of the Hartford market. More potential eyeballs = more media dollars.

Me personally, I think UConn's best bet is when Clemson and Fla St finally bolt the ACC, as the remnants is a basketball-strong conference replete with former Old Big East members. UConn to the Big "12" doesn't make geographic or financial sense unless/until the Big "12" finds several other east coast targets.
You can't view northeastern markets the way you do the rest of the country because of how compact everything is. In the DC-Boston corridor there are more than 50 million people - more than the entire west coast. In the tiny area of southern New England made up of two of the three smallest states in the country, you have all of these media markets: #1 NYC, #9 Boston, #33 Hartford-New Haven, #53 Providence-New Bedford, #59 Albany-Schenectady, and #108 Springfield-Holyoke.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
You can't view northeastern markets the way you do the rest of the country because of how compact everything is. In the DC-Boston corridor there are more than 50 million people - more than the entire west coast. In the tiny area of southern New England made up of two of the three smallest states in the country, you have all of these media markets: #1 NYC, #9 Boston, #33 Hartford-New Haven, #53 Providence-New Bedford, #59 Albany-Schenectady, and #108 Springfield-Holyoke.
I don't think I'm going to be allowed to respond, so I'll sit the rest of this discussion out. Best wishes to UConn in the hunt for a new conference.

sun

Reaction Score
Does anyone familiar with the Big 12 possibly extending an offer to UConn have an idea when an offer might be forthcoming?
This article says that Big 12 expansion is on hold until the Pac 12 releases it's TV rights deal which won't happen until sometime in August.
Its release was originally scheduled for July but the Pac 12 delayed its release probably to interfere with Big 12 expansion efforts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How many fans will buy a conference hat or T-shirt?
I feel like that is more and SEC thing than any other Conference. Don't get me wrong, I route for our conference mates consistently, but have you ever heard of any other conference that has its member teams chanting its initials at games? I haven't. Same thing with conference gear. I have a ton of stuff with the University of Connecticut on it but no standalone big east gear even back in the days of the original big east conference.

CL82

Reaction Score
This Louisville fan would love to see UConn in the ACC.
Hey, I'm pretty sure we are available for the first P5 conference to offer us. It would be a power move by the ACC to snap us up wow the big 12 dallied waiting for the Pac 12 to announce its mythical media deal.

Reaction Score
I feel like that is more and SEC thing than any other Conference. Don't get me wrong, I route for our conference mates consistently, but have you ever heard of any other conference that has its member teams chanting its initials at games? I haven't. Same thing with conference gear. I have a ton of stuff with the University of Connecticut on it but no standalone big east gear even back in the days of the original big east conference.
Does the Big East even have stand alone gear available?

Yeah, it's mostly SEC but there is some Big Ten pride displayed and certainly discussed. And yeah conference marketing is a big thing that adds money to a conference that can pull it off.

CL82

Reaction Score
Does the Big East even have stand alone gear available?

Yeah, it's mostly SEC but there is some Big Ten pride displayed and certainly discussed. And yeah conference marketing is a big thing that adds money to a conference that can pull it off.
Oh there's definitely Big Ten pride. They feel as if they are the elite both academically and athletically, although one could certainly make an argument against the latter. When Rutgers first join the Big Ten, they put up Big Ten flags on their lamp posts on campus, so they definitely appreciated the value of their affiliation. But nobody wears conference affiliation on their sleeve quite as much as SEC schools do. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it's definitely an SEC thing.

Reaction Score
Oh there's definitely Big Ten pride. They feel as if they are the elite both academically and athletically, although one could certainly make an argument against the latter. When Rutgers first join the Big Ten, they put up Big Ten flags on their lamp posts on campus, so they definitely appreciated the value of their affiliation. But nobody wears conference affiliation on their sleeve quite as much as SEC schools do. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it's definitely an SEC thing.
You could make the case against both. Athletically they don't win. One national championship in football in the last couple of decades, and zero in basketball. UConn basketball by itself has won 12 national championships in that same time frame. Academically, how many of their schools would be considered better than UConn or conference mates Georgetown and Villanova? They have research dollars and enormous fan bases because they churn out more alumni every year than the Big East has students. I find conference pride in general a bit silly. Imagine you're down 60-3 to Alabama and start chanting esss-eeee-cccc, esss-eeee-ccc. LOL.

Reaction Score
We all have our thoughts and theories on what will take in college alignment over the next few years. If the PAC 12 doesn’t get a significant media deal then chances are that they are doomed. For me being a UConn fan what takes place out west doesn’t matter.

What matters is what happens within the ACC. I believe if the Magnificent Seven (Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and NC State decide and figure out a way to exit their conference this helps UConn.

That conference is now defunct. The remaining schools or the Dismal Seven (Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Wake Forest keep the conference name and expand.

There are plenty of schools that wound want to be a part of this. You start with UConn. They are a perfect fit and the New York market. Add Temple. The Philly market. Yes, I know that they are a commuter school. But still. Add USF. They were part of the Old Big East just like these other school.

Other teams that would be awesome fits are Army, Navy and even Buffalo or Florida International. It’s basically a I-95 Conference with brand names.

Screw the Big 12. UConn doesn’t need them. They need to sit and wait to see where alignment goes in two years.

Reaction Score
I don't think the Big 12 has much interest in UConn. Here's why: all conferences are driven by TV money. The most coveted spot is the 3:30/4:00 Saturday afternoon slot, it runs for seven months beginning with football and continues with Men's BBall.

The regional conferences are a thing of the past. (Remember the Southwest Conference had seven Texas schools and three more from Arkansas and Oklahoma.) Power five conferences want at least three of the time zones. The mountain region is the least valuable, due to population. That's why it was a major coup for the Big 10 to get UCLA and USC. The Big 10 got two academically elite colleges, the number 2 media market in the country, two storied college football teams, all kinds of NBA and NFL alumni, and millions of wealthy alumni. Now the big 10 can fill the Saturday 4:00 time slot with and east coast game and another 4:00 game on the west coast. They will probably run east coast triple headers at 1:00/4:00/7:00. They're schedules will be carefully crafted.

The Big 12 already has three teams in the eastern time zone. They want two from out west. Last spring they courted ASU, AZ, Utah and Colorado but nothing happened. The Pac 10 or 12 is in serious trouble, they are very regional. Don't be surprised if it falls apart. Coach Prime is a major marketing force and will probably have a winning season this year. ASU is about the 10 largest media market in the country. The Pac 12 is not going to secure big TV money being a regional conference. The Big 12 would love to have ASU and Colorado., and maybe even Oregon and Washington.. The teams that get out of the Pac sooner will have better deals.

The conference musical chairs will continue the next few years. By no means is any of this over. What is the future of TV and cable and huge payouts? If UConn gets an offer from any Power 5 conference they have to take it and improve football.

Reaction Score
We all have our thoughts and theories on what will take in college alignment over the next few years. If the PAC 12 doesn’t get a significant media deal then chances are that they are doomed. For me being a UConn fan what takes place out west doesn’t matter.

What matters is what happens within the ACC. I believe if the Magnificent Seven (Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and NC State decide and figure out a way to exit their conference this helps UConn.

That conference is now defunct. The remaining schools or the Dismal Seven (Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Wake Forest keep the conference name and expand.

There are plenty of schools that wound want to be a part of this. You start with UConn. They are a perfect fit and the New York market. Add Temple. The Philly market. Yes, I know that they are a commuter school. But still. Add USF. They were part of the Old Big East just like these other school.

Other teams that would be awesome fits are Army, Navy and even Buffalo or Florida International. It’s basically a I-95 Conference with brand names.

Screw the Big 12. UConn doesn’t need them. They need to sit and wait to see where alignment goes in two years.
I'd add East Carolina (ECU)---need another North Carolina team to go with Duke

Reaction Score
Colorado joining the B12, with Oregon board meeting tomorrow. That would be terrible travel for UConn if they do manage to get an invite. I would imagine the B12 can poach the Arizona schools as well. So maybe the league can create and east-west thing if it doesn’t already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom