Big 12 under pressure from BCS committee to add teams | The Boneyard

Big 12 under pressure from BCS committee to add teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Greg Swaim tweet from today:

"After all of the smoke today, it's looking like the #Big12 is feeling pressure from the committee to add teams for a CCG, but which teams?"

This marks a change from everything I've heard for months. Greg Swaim has contacts at the meetings, and when he tweeted yesterday it was still looking like the Big 12 wouldn't be forced to expand.

Swaim had some tweets from a few weeks ago explaining why the committee wouldn't force the Big 12 to expand. First, the special arrangement that Notre Dame gets kind of makes it awkward for the committee to force the Big 12 to add teams. If the Notre Dame gets special access, who's to tell a conference how many teams they have to have or whether they need a conference championship game? Second, the Big East and ACC don't want to force the Big 12 (or anyone else) to expand because they know they would be the victims of expansion.

However, now, apparently something may have changed. This is good because anything that gets conference expansion moving is probably good for us.

Swaim also mentions that he has media friends that have heard that Maryland is talking to the Big 12, in addition to the Big 10 rumor.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
any movement is good for us. the only negative possibly would be the b12 adding 2 or 4 nbe teams only with us being left out of that. any b10/sec/acc moves schuffle teams and open spots for us along the ladder.

Reaction Score
I really hope our leadership is lobbying hard with the right conferences. We'd most likely sell out with a Big 12 schedule. We were selling out for a lot of games until PP came along.

Reaction Score
I smell BYU on the horizon. If the Big-12 expands, the Cougars are a prime target. If, as Swaim asserts, the Big-12 is being strongarmed, my suspicion is that it will iron out its stumbling block about the LDSers not playing on Sunday & their insistance about broadcast rights of the BYU network. Just sayin'.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I really hope our leadership is lobbying hard with the right conferences. We'd most likely sell out with a Big 12 schedule. We were selling out for a lot of games until PP came along.
Maybe my PAC-12 dream will finally come true!

Reaction Score
Bottom line, if big 12 moves it probably won't be good for be or Uconn..
Their targets would be either be big east schools or big east targets like cincy, UofL, and BYU.

If big10 or sec or acc move it probably creates a spot for Uconn somewhere.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'd guess BYU and Louisville would be the first two targets, and wonder if Boise, Rutgers, Cinci, UConn, or any number of ACC schools would get at least a quick look. I think the NNBE schools are much more likely to leave than the ACC schools, but it sounds like Maryland isn't happy and maybe we'll see if the FSU/Clemson stuff starts up again...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
any movement is good for us. the only negative possibly would be the b12 adding 2 or 4 nbe teams only with us being left out of that. any b10/sec/acc moves schuffle teams and open spots for us along the ladder.
PSU to ACC and ND joins as a full member in the conference. RU to B1G. Louisville to Big 12. That's the doomsday scenario for us.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
PSU to ACC and ND joins as a full member in the conference. RU to B1G. Louisville to Big 12. That's the doomsday scenario for us.

so the b12 has 11 teams and the b10 has 12 teams still. thats not doomsday as those conf still need more teams #1 and ruty would not be going to the b10 without psu being there.

Reaction Score
Why would PSU take a pay cut and leave a more stable conference for the ACC?

Reaction Score
I don't think PSU is leaving the Big...
There is no reason unless they are being asked, and I don't think that happens either.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big 12 passed on FSU and Clemson. They are not going to add Louisville and Rutgers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
so the b12 has 11 teams and the b10 has 12 teams still. thats not doomsday as those conf still need more teams #1 and ruty would not be going to the b10 without psu being there.
Okay so make it Cinci goes with Lousiville. That leaves the B1G and the Big 12 at 12. I'm not predicting it, but there are potential scenarios out there where we are left in a worse position than we are now.

Reaction Score
I don't know where the Louisville/cinci to the B12 comes from. I certainly don't think it is a foregone conclusion. I would think were I the B12 I would be talking with Florida State, Clemson and BYU at least. All have bigger followings/reputations than both Louisville and certainly Cincinatti and likely would give West Virginia an "eastern" opponent. I might even put in a call to Virginia Tech and NC State if i had free nationwide calling.

Reaction Score
I don't know why everyone is so sure that B12 expansion is good.
It _is_ conceivable for them to add Lou & Cin and be done. That would not be good at all.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Greg Swaim tweet from today:

"After all of the smoke today, it's looking like the #Big12 is feeling pressure from the committee to add teams for a CCG, but which teams?"

This marks a change from everything I've heard for months. Greg Swaim has contacts at the meetings, and when he tweeted yesterday it was still looking like the Big 12 wouldn't be forced to expand.

Swaim had some tweets from a few weeks ago explaining why the committee wouldn't force the Big 12 to expand. First, the special arrangement that Notre Dame gets kind of makes it awkward for the committee to force the Big 12 to add teams. If the Notre Dame gets special access, who's to tell a conference how many teams they have to have or whether they need a conference championship game? Second, the Big East and ACC don't want to force the Big 12 (or anyone else) to expand because they know they would be the victims of expansion.

However, now, apparently something may have changed. This is good because anything that gets conference expansion moving is probably good for us.

Swaim also mentions that he has media friends that have heard that Maryland is talking to the Big 12, in addition to the Big 10 rumor.

A broken clock has to be right eventually.

There may be some pressure on the Big 12 to add teams if the Pac 12 is at 12, and the Big 10, SEC and ACC at 14. If I was the other leagues, I would vote that the Big 5 split is based on number of teams.

I can also see Clemson and FSU looking at the new bowl system, and Texas' earlier snub, and sitting tight. It is a two team fight for an Orange Bowl bid most years, and a clearer path to undefeated for both of them than in the Big 12. Also, with the huge slug of playoff revenue, the total revenue gap between the Big 12 and ACC is smaller from a percentage standpoint.

The Big 12's choices become Louisville, BYU, Boise and Cincinnati. BYU will continue to be more trouble than they are worth. I do think the pressure to expand will be dialed up with today's news.

Reaction Score
I would agree, if the B1G is moving to 14, it puts the B12 in a position where they sort of need to make a move or risk being behind the times.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big 12 passed on FSU and Clemson. They are not going to add Louisville and Rutgers.

According to you FSU and Clemson are in the Big 12. You know they didn't pass on those schools - yet you post this anyway.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
According to you FSU and Clemson are in the Big 12. You know they didn't pass on those schools - yet you post this anyway.

I am right, you are wrong. On a huge news days for UConn athletics, you are making one flame post after another. You are not interesting enough to warrant a debate tonight.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am right, you are wrong. On a huge news days for UConn athletics, you are making one flame post after another. You are not interesting enough to warrant a debate tonight.

If it wasn't a pain in the ass I'd spend some time digging up your FSU/Clemson Big 12 nonsense where you were completely wrong just for fun.

It's not a flame to say that considering the University of New Mexico to the Big East is idiotic - only a complete lunatic can even consider something so stupid.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't think PSU is leaving the Big...
There is no reason unless they are being asked, and I don't think that happens either.

PSU had a disappointing 90,000 fans show up for Indiana yesterday the day after classes ended for Thanksgiving and 9 out of their 11 games this year have been on National TV. They aren't being asked to leave anything.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog