Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
And that’s our problem, we don’t bring a big tv market. Nobody in Boston or NYC cares about us.
And Houston and Cincinnati do? I know a lot of guys from Houston, not one of them cares about Houston Cougars sports. Everyone in Ohio is Ohio State fans unless they went to another Big 10 school and some of them are still Ohio State fans.

Reaction Score
This is all bs. UConn is well supported. We aren’t Michigan or LSU, but we compare very favorably with most of the P5 by any measure. We win tons of bball titles, most of them don’t win any. So, despite our football being weak at the moment (it’s clearly improving) at least we are elite at two sports. Most P5 schools do nothing, in any sport. The measure to be P5 isn’t if we can generate $60,000,000 on our own or if we win titles in football. That measure only works for about 10 schools in the whole country. We don’t need to be Texas or Alabama to be of value. We need to offer good content in multiple sports, have a captive audience in a fairly large market and be of decent enough academic stature. We offer that in spades.

Reaction Score
Just saying something like "football drives the bus" is true because it is conventional wisdom does not mean it is true. Other than Nebraska to the Big 10 and Virginia Tech to the ACC, I can't think of a single conference move that occurred in the last 30 plus years that happened because of football. Virtually all conference moves occurred because of TV markets. That is why the SEC added dry wells like South Carolina, Arkansas, and Missouri, and the Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland. Neither league cared whether any of those programs was ever any good, which is a good thing for the Big 10 and SEC, because all five programs have sucked for the most part in their new leagues.
I guess I would argue that West Virginia and Louisville were football moves instead of Market Moves.

Reaction Score
And Houston and Cincinnati do? I know a lot of guys from Houston, not one of them cares about Houston Cougars sports. Everyone in Ohio is Ohio State fans unless they went to another Big 10 school and some of them are still Ohio State fans.
Cincy got the Cinderella treatment. People wanted to see if they could upset the status quo. It was a great story and people tuned in.

It definitely provided Cincy with national visibility.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing references to coach Sanders as the reason for targeting Colorado to big 12. Sure, he’s a national figure and gets media attention. But he could be gone in two years.

Same with Mora, not that I want that. And he’s actually changed UConn’s trajectory after 1 season.

I think having a big name coach is window dressing in CR. Don’t buy that it’s a meaningful variable in CR decisions. You just have to have a coach that can run a competitive program and show improvement year over year.

Where it matters is sticking with dead end coach for years and not investing in new coach and staff. If RE were still coach, this discussion isn’t happening

Reaction Score
Dan Wetzel says that he doesn't think the PAC schools will leave. He "wouldn't touch" UConn; he doesn't know what that's all about. He says the Big12 could create a basketball scheduling agreement with UConn, rather than diluting the product too big. He's not in favor of conferences getting too big, because then they break apart.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I guess I would argue that West Virginia and Louisville were football moves instead of Market Moves.

The Louisville move was 100% a market move. BCU did not want any competition in the New England market, which they promised the ACC that they would deliver. BCU is like the Herman Goering of the ACC. They make all kinds of promises about things they will do and never deliver on anything. Carrying the analogy further, I also wouldn't be surprised if several members of the BCU administration are addicts based on how badly they run that athletic department. Honestly, claiming they were addicts would at least be an excuse for how bad it is.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing references to coach Sanders as the reason for targeting Colorado to big 12. Sure, he’s a national figure and gets media attention. But he could be gone in two years.

Same with Mora, not that I want that. And he’s actually changed UConn’s trajectory after 1 season.

I think having a big name coach is window dressing in CR. Don’t buy that it’s a meaningful variable in CR decisions. You just have to have a coach that can run a competitive program and show improvement year over year.

Where it matters is sticking with dead end coach for years and not investing in new coach and staff. If RE were still coach, this discussion isn’t happening
When HCJM is done in Storrs, he is going out to Sun Valley and ski, kayak, commentate and travel. By then he will be enshrined in the UConn Hall of Fame and have received numerous awards.

Reaction Score
Dan Wetzel says that he doesn't think the PAC schools will leave. He "wouldn't touch" UConn; he doesn't know what that's all about. He says the Big12 could create a basketball scheduling agreement with UConn, rather than diluting the product too big. He's not in favor of conferences getting too big, because then they break apart.

Lol no chance. That would be an insult to UConn.

Reaction Score

This guy has always sucked, just a huge loser.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

Dan Wetzel is fortunate he has a job that allows him to spout nonsense without accountability. UCONN adds value to the Big 12! We are the premier school for athletics in the NYC market and we are a blue chip hoops program that is on the accent. That is what the Big 12 wants - a foothold in NYC and to secure their spot as the best hoops conference. They want us.

Reaction Score
Dan Wetzel is fortunate he has a job that allows him to spout nonsense without accountability. UCONN adds value to the Big 12! We are the premier school for athletics in the NYC market and we are a blue chip hoops program that is on the accent. That is what the Big 12 wants - a foothold in NYC and to secure their spot as the best hoops conference. They want us.
Well we should find out soon if they want us or not.

Reaction Score

Good lord, Wetzel must be the king of dumb arguments. Conferences, break apart when they are big? Did he not notice the B12 lose their two top schools when they were a 10 team league? or the PAC 12 lose their top two schools when they were at 12?

Reaction Score
Good lord, Wetzel must be the king of dumb arguments. Conferences, break apart when they are big? Did he not notice the B12 lose their two top schools when they were a 10 team league? or the PAC 12 lose their top two schools when they were at 12?
Big conferences such as the ACC, the SEC, and the Big10? Two of those have not/will not lose members because they get big tv money (Big10 and SEC) and one has handcuffs via a long term GOR (ACC). None of them were/are going anywhere. Does Wentzel think at all before speaking/writing?! And if he does, well then there you go.

Reaction Score
Wetzel's a UMass grad who hates what UConn is in comparison to what UMass is. Take anything he says with a very large grain of salt.

It's amazing how many old sports writers can't stand UConn, to them we are still the new kid on the block that won't last for long. If they were honest they would just admit that they hate us because we keep winning over and over again, much to their dismay. We are the new money neighbor in the rich neighborhood with the loud music, long hair, hot wife, and kids that cut through their yard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We’re not in the NYC market. We’re in the Hartford market. That’s our problem and that’s why no conference has offered us. Our football has been terrible and that’s a big negative. We need to have a run like Cincinnati and UCF to draw interest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom