Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 37 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
I just saw GoKu drinking rolling rocks with Trilly Donovan for happy hour in Kansas City. Guys he is real.

Couldn’t be in the Power and Light District, it’s like 500 degrees Celsius here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Aresco is light years better than this Kliavkoff guy.
Larry David Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
I've grown up seeing UConn play Georgetown, St. John's and Villanova in Big East championship games that mean something to north east basketball.

Kansas is cool, but you can't just erase decades of history and meaning associated with those games with a shiny new toy.

And if memory serves, you're a Penn State guy too so maybe it makes sense being a league with brand names and no rivals but most of us care about this kind of stuff.

Again, 100% for the move, and would be excited to play Kansas but seems kind of similar to Syracuse being gung ho to play UNC and Duke every year. Novelty eventually wears off when you realize you're about 13th on their rivalry pecking order.
Who is trying to erase history?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Couldn’t be in the Power and Light District, it’s like 500 degrees Celsius here.
And nobody drinks Rolling Rock. Maybe a PBR. Boulevard Wheat is good on a hot night.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Be friends with BYU. They're quite nice actually. The one's who cover their FB on Twitter were always intelligent and respectful in my experience.
I still remember the young blonde woman from BYU that came to my house on a Mission. It was touch and go there for a bit. That was a powerful recruiting effort for sure.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Who is trying to erase history?

My point being is that I'm not all of a sudden going to think of Kansas as a rival. It's a cool game but doesn't have the same feel as a game against a long time foe in your neighborhood.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
While I am sure that this reporter has no inside information (especially since he is an Arkansas reporter), I much prefer this tone and general feeling about UConn. I just had to post this given all of the disinformation and hate for UConn in many of the other conference realignment articles being written.

But this article suggests that UConn is an incredibly valuable piece being fought over right now in the CR shuffle and that UConn is basically debating between going to the ACC and B12 and could decide the power battle between the B12 and ACC for the future.

I like this guy! ;)

Big 12, ACC fight for non-football power unexpected hinge on which Razorback basketball, football swings

That's why it's probably a little shocking to know the hottest girl at the college athletics dance right now appears to be UConn. The Big 12 has made no secret it has had frequent talks with the Huskies about being a target to join the geographically sprawling league. Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark recognizes the power of basketball in his conference and is looking to lean into it. That's why UConn, one of the most valuable college basketball brands in history, is at the top of the list.

It almost seemed like a done deal for the Huskies to leave the Big East for the more financially lucrative waters of the Big 12. That is until yesterday when ACC commissioner James Phillips, hoping to talk about anything other than his most prominent teams wanting to leave the conference and his involvement in everything that went down in the Northwestern scandal, made a public announcement declaring the ACC open for expansion also.

Being one of the few conferences still able to read a map, the ACC will most likely keep itself confined to the general eastern part of the country. If Notre Dame suddenly has a change of heart about conference affiliation, it jumps to the front of the line. However, outside of that unlikelihood, UConn immediately jumps to the top of the list for the same reasons it's desirable to the Big 12.

Outside of Notre Dame, there is no other team of value out there. Had the ACC been proactive, it might could have lured in Central Florida, Cincinnati and West Virginia, but that ship has sailed. The Big 12 not only out-maneuvered the Pac-12 with its open door policy and aggressive negotiation tactics on the TV side, the ACC got out-maneuvered also. The Big 12 may not have only dropped a nail into one conference coffin, it may have finished off two.

If UConn decides to go the ACC route, it will make for a fun atmosphere when Arkansas and UConn hook up in the ACC/SEC Challenge. If not, Clemson and Florida State in Fayetteville in 2030 sounds like a good time too. Razorback fans win no matter what UConn decides.

Arkansas Future Schedules Hinge on Big Decision for UConn

Reaction Score
While I am sure that this reporter has no inside information (especially since he is an Arkansas reporter), I much prefer this tone and general feeling about UConn. I just had to post this given all of the disinformation and hate for UConn in many of the other conference realignment articles being written.

But this article suggests that UConn is an incredibly valuable piece being fought over right now in the CR shuffle and that UConn is basically debating between going to the ACC and B12 and could decide the power battle between the B12 and ACC for the future.

I like this guy! ;)

Arkansas Future Schedules Hinge on Big Decision for UConn
Nice read and happy to see due respect.

But some here think UCONN has no options.

Reaction Score
Two most underrated entities: WVU and Mike Aresco.

I think Mike Aresco did an unbelievable job with the AAC. Some programs elevated their games, as we know, and he did a great job given the conference was never going to be considered a P5 peer.

We should be so lucky to be tied to WVU in the Big 12. WVU is also a perfect fit for the ACC which screwed up by not taking WVU in the first place, if I recall the timeline correctly. Some claim WVU is not a good fit for the ACC. The ACC has no "fit." UConn, WVU, Cincy, and then bring in Pitt and a few other Easterners. That's the ticket.
The ACC didn't value WVU due to academics.

Reaction Score

I think Mike Aresco did an unbelievable job with the AAC. Some programs elevated their games, as we know, and he did a great job given the conference was never going to be considered a P5 peer.

We should be so lucky to be tied to WVU in the Big 12. WVU is also a perfect fit for the ACC which screwed up by not taking WVU in the first place, if I recall the timeline correctly. Some claim WVU is not a good fit for the ACC. The ACC has no "fit" and WVU would be in the top half of that conference. UConn, WVU, Cincy, and then bring in Pitt and a few other Easterners. That's the ticket.

Reaction Score

We should be so lucky to be tied to WVU in the Big 12. WVU is also a perfect fit for the ACC which screwed up by not taking WVU in the first place, if I recall the timeline correctly. Some claim WVU is not a good fit for the ACC. The ACC has no "fit" and WVU would be in the top half of that conference. UConn, WVU, Cincy, and then bring in Pitt and a few other Easterners. That's the ticket.
I don’t think WVUs first choice was Big 12. But they unlike us had another option so they took it.

One glimmer of hope that I have is Cincy, WVU, and UCF. If Big 12 adds 3, one would likely be eastern flank. It just seems to make sense, and it’s what BY wants.

Would be a huge ‘insult’ to WVU if they continue to keep them on an island. Especially if there are thoughts of positioning for ACC defections down the road and not the other way around.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Hmmm. Well that is surely an interesting take. The delay is actually being caused by UConn considering options of which there might be two not including staying in the BE?

So, let's just for chuckles stipulate that is true (although I happen to think that it is less than a 50% chance of being true). Which option would you prefer? The B12 with its perceived superior stability and financial package, or the ACC with far more alignment, lots of OBE rivalries, greater perceived stability risk, and perhaps not as good financials. Overlay on top of that the B12 currently being mesmerized by some shiny new PAC12 baubles. What say you?

My response would be the ACC -- as it represents a reasonable compromise between the two major UConn factions in the fan base, perhaps not as good financials but how much is enough (?), and increased risk, the latter of which would be mitigated if WVU also comes over. Oh, and it would mean playing ND once again periodically. At the Rent. But it is a close call.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hmmm. Well that is surely an interesting take. The delay is actually being caused by UConn considering options of which there might be two not including staying in the BE?

So, let's just for chuckles stipulate that is true (although I happen to think that it is less than a 50% chance of being true). Which option would you prefer? The B12 with its perceived superior stability and financial package, or the ACC with far more alignment, lots of OBE rivalries, greater perceived stability risk, and perhaps not as good financials. Overlay on top of that the B12 currently being mesmerized by some shiny new PAC12 baubles. What say you?

My response would be the ACC -- as it represents a reasonable compromise between the two major UConn factions in the fan base, perhaps not as good financials but how much is enough (?), and increased risk, the latter of which would be mitigated if WVU also comes over. Oh, and it would mean playing ND once again periodically. At the Rent. But it is a close call.

Your thoughts?

I don't believe there's any chance this is true. That being said, sign me up for the ACC. It would get us into the P5 club but keep us closer to home with some schools we actually have rivalries with.

Reaction Score

Your thoughts?
Exactly the same as your response. But also concerned about buying into a long term agreement and how ACC has managed realignment thus far. They just come across as desperate shoot-from-the-hip reactionaries. Where as BY seems to be a contemplating out-of-the-box strategist.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom