Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If the ACC is so smart, why did they add two Northeastern duds, SU and BC. I know there was a lot of animosity regarding adding UConn, but you got the dregs with those two...

Correct but BC is much worse than Cuse, who is at least respectable in major sports (not relevant, but respectable)

Reaction Score
If the ACC is so smart, why did they add two Northeastern duds, SU and BC. I know there was a lot of animosity regarding adding UConn, but you got the dregs with those two...
I know Syracuse didn't come with Miami, but the reason that BC and Syracuse were invited when Miami left, and the threads holding the Big East together were pulled apart, was because Miami demanded it so they were seen by their northeastern alumni and target student audiences. And back then, Miami was powerful enough in football compared to the ACC that the ACC let them dictate terms.

Different expansions had different motivations. I doubt they're upset that they took Syracuse, by the way. BC is a different matter.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know Syracuse didn't come with Miami, but the reason that BC and Syracuse were invited when Miami left, and the threads holding the Big East together were pulled apart, was because Miami demanded it so they were seen by their northeastern alumni and target student audiences. And back then, Miami was powerful enough in football compared to the ACC that the ACC let them dictate terms.

Different expansions had different motivations. I doubt they're upset that they took Syracuse, by the way. BC is a different matter.
BC was also critical to cable carriage in a big market back when that was the most important driver of expansion. I don’t think they regret BC, I think they just wish it would get its act together. So many bad coaching hires. It has been very successful on the enrollment side. The ACC schools now get considerably more applicants from New England than they did before.

Reaction Score
BC was also critical to cable carriage in a big market back when that was the most important driver of expansion. I don’t think they regret BC, I think they just wish it would get its act together. So many bad coaching hires. It has been very successful on the enrollment side. The ACC schools now get considerably more applicants from New England than they did before.
But... BC football was knocked off the airwaves by rodeo. In Boston.

So... I tend to doubt they had any cable pull whatsoever, especially long before the ACCN

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But... BC football was knocked off the airwaves by rodeo. In Boston.

So... I tend to doubt they had any cable pull whatsoever, especially long before the ACCN
ACC Network is included in the base package for Xfinity, Fios and Charter here, so I'd say it worked as intended.

Reaction Score
ACC Network is included in the base package for Xfinity, Fios and Charter here, so I'd say it worked as intended.
In the short term it did. But in the streaming world it won’t. And the ACC will be stuck with an albatross around its neck. Case in point….after a really good season this spring the BC baseball staff scattered like ashes all pretty much noting the lack of institutional support. School is pocketing those ACC dollars with minimal reinvestment. BC. What a conference partner!!

Reaction Score
In the short term it did. But in the streaming world it won’t. And the ACC will be stuck with an albatross around its neck. Case in point….after a really good season this spring the BC baseball staff scattered like ashes all pretty much noting the lack of institutional support. School is pocketing those ACC dollars with minimal reinvestment. BC. What a conference partner!!
BC is like the small market pro team that just pockets the luxury tax distribution rather than putting it back into the team.

Reaction Score
2 things.

1. The ACCN came into being 16 years after BC joined.

2. Just because these channels are available on cable systems, it doesn't mean they are charging the full rate. In markets where people don't take much of an interest, they charge 5 cents a subscriber. When Rutgers joined the B1G, the B1G channel jumped from 5 cents in New Jersey/New York to $1 per. I have no idea what it is now.

I only know about the BC situation that they were clearly subsidized by the ACC teams for 16 years because the ACC must've been in shock that BC was preempted by rodeo in Boston.

Reactions: DGB
Reaction Score
This was from Dana O'Neil and Brian Hamilton's weekly NCAA hoops mailbag on The Athletic. Unfortunately it is behind a pay wall but the leading questions were surrounding UConn (potentially leaving the Big East) and the Big East (replacing UConn if they left). They are not fans of a move for the Huskies...

Happy summer, friends and fellow college hoops obsessives, and welcome to another edition of the Shot Takers Mailbag.

Been a minute since Dana O’Neil and I took your questions about this glorious and ridiculous sport. And it’s never a dead period for us.

So let’s get to it.

If UConn were to leave the Big East, who should the Big East try to bring in for a new school? – Zach G.

Wouldn’t Coach Hurley and Coach Auriemma want UConn to stay in the Big East? If they want to stay, how much influence would they have on the university’s decision? – Jack D.

Dana: Let me preface this by saying I find the whole idea of UConn leaving the Big East maddeningly, infuriatingly stupid. When the school last tried to go all in on football, riding the huge tidal wave of that one Fiesta Bowl experience, it nearly cost the Huskies their identity. The school was lucky to get back into the Big East. What’s the saying? First time, shame on you?

I would love to think that Dan Hurley, hot off a national title, and Geno Auriemma, who is personally responsible for most of the trophies in the UConn cases, would have a say. But coaches’ opinions are rarely sought when it comes to conference realignment. I would think it would behoove university administrators to listen to their coaches in the trenches, and think real hard about doubling down on a sport in which they have a financially-draining relationship with the state for use of a stadium, and no discernible track record in winning. Alas.

As for Big East expansion, Val Ackerman is on record about being very cautious about movement, and rightly so. While everyone else chases their tails and reinvents their identities on the fly, the Big East’s success is based on selectivity and knowing what it is. The league does not need to expand just to expand; it needs to expand only if it’s going to help the conference. Loyola Chicago’s stutter move to the Atlantic 10, I’d imagine, gives everyone pause. The jump up in competition isn’t easy. Dayton and Saint Louis are viable options, for example, but which can be immediately Big East ready? I’d argue Dayton more, but how does Xavier feel about that? Gonzaga remains a really tricky, if not geographically impossible, pipe dream.

Short answer: Just because UConn might make a rash decision, that doesn’t mean the Big East ought to follow.

Brian, feel free to argue against.

Brian: There is no argument against. UConn belongs in the Big East, full stop. Money has a way of getting presidents and administrators to twist logic beyond all recognition, so I also have zero confidence UConn stays where it belongs. Just hope I’m wrong.

If UConn bolts, I don’t know that there’s a brilliant fit out there. The league would prioritize programs that make the NCAA Tournament regularly, because it doesn’t want to bring in fewer tournament units — and thereby less money — and split the pot with the same number of members or more. Dayton says it operates like a power conference program, but it also hasn’t made the NCAA Tournament since 2017 (Pour another one out for the 2019-2020 Flyers). Harder to manage out of the Atlantic 10, of course … but that’s still a glaring absence.

The gangster move is Syracuse. Whether UConn leaves or not. Probably not likely to convince a place with a former television executive as athletic director to deprioritize football, and the grant-of-rights legal entanglements likely make this a non-starter. But this is conference realignment. Never think something can’t be done. A revitalized Syracuse men’s hoops program, playing where it belongs, could lift a lot of boats — much like it has for UConn.

Reaction Score
This was from Dana O'Neil and Brian Hamilton's weekly NCAA hoops mailbag on The Athletic. Unfortunately it is behind a pay wall but the leading questions were surrounding UConn (potentially leaving the Big East) and the Big East (replacing UConn if they left). They are not fans of a move for the Huskies...

Happy summer, friends and fellow college hoops obsessives, and welcome to another edition of the Shot Takers Mailbag.

Been a minute since Dana O’Neil and I took your questions about this glorious and ridiculous sport. And it’s never a dead period for us.

So let’s get to it.

If UConn were to leave the Big East, who should the Big East try to bring in for a new school? – Zach G.

Wouldn’t Coach Hurley and Coach Auriemma want UConn to stay in the Big East? If they want to stay, how much influence would they have on the university’s decision? – Jack D.

Dana: Let me preface this by saying I find the whole idea of UConn leaving the Big East maddeningly, infuriatingly stupid. When the school last tried to go all in on football, riding the huge tidal wave of that one Fiesta Bowl experience, it nearly cost the Huskies their identity. The school was lucky to get back into the Big East. What’s the saying? First time, shame on you?

I would love to think that Dan Hurley, hot off a national title, and Geno Auriemma, who is personally responsible for most of the trophies in the UConn cases, would have a say. But coaches’ opinions are rarely sought when it comes to conference realignment. I would think it would behoove university administrators to listen to their coaches in the trenches, and think real hard about doubling down on a sport in which they have a financially-draining relationship with the state for use of a stadium, and no discernible track record in winning. Alas.

As for Big East expansion, Val Ackerman is on record about being very cautious about movement, and rightly so. While everyone else chases their tails and reinvents their identities on the fly, the Big East’s success is based on selectivity and knowing what it is. The league does not need to expand just to expand; it needs to expand only if it’s going to help the conference. Loyola Chicago’s stutter move to the Atlantic 10, I’d imagine, gives everyone pause. The jump up in competition isn’t easy. Dayton and Saint Louis are viable options, for example, but which can be immediately Big East ready? I’d argue Dayton more, but how does Xavier feel about that? Gonzaga remains a really tricky, if not geographically impossible, pipe dream.

Short answer: Just because UConn might make a rash decision, that doesn’t mean the Big East ought to follow.

Brian: There is no argument against. UConn belongs in the Big East, full stop. Money has a way of getting presidents and administrators to twist logic beyond all recognition, so I also have zero confidence UConn stays where it belongs. Just hope I’m wrong.

If UConn bolts, I don’t know that there’s a brilliant fit out there. The league would prioritize programs that make the NCAA Tournament regularly, because it doesn’t want to bring in fewer tournament units — and thereby less money — and split the pot with the same number of members or more. Dayton says it operates like a power conference program, but it also hasn’t made the NCAA Tournament since 2017 (Pour another one out for the 2019-2020 Flyers). Harder to manage out of the Atlantic 10, of course … but that’s still a glaring absence.

The gangster move is Syracuse. Whether UConn leaves or not. Probably not likely to convince a place with a former television executive as athletic director to deprioritize football, and the grant-of-rights legal entanglements likely make this a non-starter. But this is conference realignment. Never think something can’t be done. A revitalized Syracuse men’s hoops program, playing where it belongs, could lift a lot of boats — much like it has for UConn.
Brainlessness

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

So let’s get to it.

Absolutely clueless. Staggeringly so.

Reaction Score

So let’s get to it.

It’s amazing these people are paid. The Twitter trolls have more sense.

Reaction Score
It’s amazing these people are paid. The Twitter trolls have more sense.
I bet they can't even name all the members of the Big East. Syracuse?? How brain dead do you have to be to think Syracuse would remotely consider joining the Big East.

Anyone coming at this topic with an extreme opinion in either direction hasn't looked at it the right way. Based on this article id gather they haven't really looked into it at all. But they get paid to write an opinion, regardless of how well informed it is.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score

So let’s get to it.

I'm actually shocked how bad this is LOL, complete nonsense behind a paywall.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lmao at Syracuse running back to the Big East. They were the loudest voice in the room saying the BB schools were frustrating to deal with.
Yeah, that's all we need to hear to safely disregard that knucklehead.

Reaction Score

So let’s get to it.

A little history - in 2011, we were "in" the ACC until BC commenced its chicanery. (I won't ruffle feathers by repeating why we got screwed, but we definitely did!) Further, in 2012, our AD sat on his ass when the Maryland slot came up and went to LV.
Once those opportunities went by the wayside, we were destined for the conference desert known as the AAC.

So where would we be if we got the nod from the ACC in 2011 or 2012? Probably thriving (to some extent) in football and elite in BB and even better in baseball. The football mess was created as a result of the ACC snubs and some terrible hiring decisions. Up until then, we were trending nicely. (5 straight wins over SU) But we got a hard lesson about AD's being important! We had a couple of bozos and ended up with a SU retread and an affable space cadet. Then, newly hired Dave B had a brain cramp and rehired our very own retread! Couple that with a terrible conference situation and the dark ages were upon us. DB's great move to hire Mora has solved the coaching problem and now we have to solve the conference problem too.

As I have said ad nauseam, the BE is a one dimensional conference. We are a misfit. It is a small Catholic school, BB dominant conference. We belong in a conference that has very good BB, football, baseball etc. In other words, we need a full service conference. Also, we belong with our own ilk. Other than small, 1-AA state schools, how many flagship, land grant state universities are in such a conference? In many states where there are at least two major public universities, they are both in P-5 conferences. Football is key - it drives the bus nationwide. Without a thriving program, we will start to wither on the vine. As the rich get richer, we will begin feeling the pinch because of the sheer economics of college football.

I am not insensitive to the legacy and importance of UConn BB. I have great memories of UConn BB dating from the mid 60s, but real elite status has come only in the last 25 years. We certainly need a great home for it. Yes, a dozen years ago, the ACC was best option. But, the ACC has possibly become "fool's gold" now. (How quickly would Clemson and FSU bolt to the SEC if an invite came? GOR or no GOR, there is a deal to be made because it is all about the dinero.)

Now for UConn, the Big 12 is not a bad choice. First, it is likely to increase, UConn's per year payout by about ten fold or to $30-40mm.
Right now we seem to be able to squeeze the legislature to fund our Athletic Dept shortfall, but how long will that continue? For those of you worried about our "identity", I think a move to the Big 12 will be, at worse, neutral. We have an identity that is, in no way, dependent on being in the Big East. Nostalgia is fine to a point. (Who didn't love 4 games on Thursday in MSG during the BE tournament?) But, we need far more than a one dimensional conference. We are a nationwide brand and need a nationwide stage. Our BB program is secure in its position as a nationwide elite. Besides, the Big 12 did send 7 teams to the dance this year. So it is no slouch conference. In fact, 2 conference games against another designated national elite, Kansas, and others like Baylor, every year would be pretty awesome.

Simply put, if we have the opportunity to make a move to a P-5 conference, I think we should take it. IMO, not doing so would likely amount to signing the death warrant for D-1 football and consigning UConn to a football-less conference in perpetuity.

Reaction Score
A little history - in 2011, we were "in" the ACC until BC commenced its chicanery. (I won't ruffle feathers by repeating why we got screwed, but we definitely did!) Further, in 2012, our AD sat on his ass when the Maryland slot came up and went to LV.
Once those opportunities went by the wayside, we were destined for the conference desert known as the AAC.
You call the AAC a "conference desert" but fail to acknowledge that three of UConn's former AAC cohorts stayed and prospered in that environment. None at the time enjoyed what many here perceive to be UConn's seeming advantages -- state flagship status, a Land Grant institution, a higher USN&WR rating, elite basketball, little in-state competition, etc. Now that their perseverance has paid off and they've moved on to bigger and better things, you aspire to rejoin them.

Who knows what might have happened If UConn had stayed in the AAC and made the most of its circumstances? What if UConn had resolved back then to bloom where it was planted?

Reaction Score
You call the AAC a "conference desert" but fail to acknowledge that three of UConn's former AAC cohorts stayed and prospered in that environment. None at the time enjoyed what many here perceive to be UConn's seeming advantages -- state flagship status, a Land Grant institution, a higher USN&WR rating, elite basketball, little in-state competition, etc. Now that their perseverance has paid off and they've moved on to bigger and better things, you aspire to rejoin them.

Who knows what might have happened If UConn had stayed in the AAC and made the most of its circumstances? What if UConn had resolved back then to bloom where it was planted?
UConn winning the national championship last year put them back on the national map.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom