Big 12 meets, develops vague expansion non-plan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big 12 meets, develops vague expansion non-plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Rutgers was always part of the plan. It will get the BTN higher carriage fees in NJ and NY than GTech would probably be able to get in Georgia once the SEC Network goes online. I think the B1G is evaluating the southern schools very carefully because once the SEC Network goes live, it will become dominant in the South, even in ACC states. Why would the B1G expand just to be second fiddle in a state?

That is why BCU is even in the conversation for B1G expansion.

Maybe, and maybe the YES hammer makes them especially confident. But NY has certainly had some battles over content that is much more valuable than Rutgers. The NFL Network and the Knicks for sure.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Big 12, SEC and Big Ten will all sit staring at the ACC for a couple of years before anything happens.

But what about us? What do we get to stare at?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan, putting aside the concern over Connecticut's leadership for a moment, why are you so convinced that BC is a viable candidate for the B1G? I don't see it.

the b10 wants a southern new england school. that means JD wants to capture the population/cable boxes from i90 south to the nyc border.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
A
the b10 wants a southern new england school. that means JD wants to capture the population/cable boxes from i90 south to the nyc border.

Agreed. But leads you to conclude BC has an edge on us?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
A

Agreed. But leads you to conclude BC has an edge on us?

becuase there leadership has proven that while they suck at sports, give a dam about the school and where its going. they got out of the nbe way before others. they will do the same with the acc if they can. they will pimp puck and the razor.

Reaction Score
Bottom up for time sequencing:

Big12Conference 1:24pm via TweetDeck
Bowlsby: "We have spoken with three bowls in Florida and would like to have at least one there". #Big12

Big12Conference 1:23pm via TweetDeck
Bowlsby "We also talked about NCAA legislation and the in-stadium experience to make it a better game environment for fans" #Big12

Big12Conference 1:22pm via TweetDeck
Bowlsby (re: bowls): "Destination is important. Fan experience is important and student-athlete experience is important."

Big12Conference 1:21pm via TweetDeck
Bowlsby - "Once we know host bowls, we will be anxious to put additional bowl agreements together. This was a way to identify priorities"

Big12Conference 1:18pm via TweetDeck
Bowlsby - "Spent a good amount of time on bowl agreements and football scheduling" #Big12

Big12Conference 1:17pm via TweetDeck
#Big12 Directors of Athletics meetings have concluded for today. Commissioner Bob Bowlsby speaking to media now.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Well then, presumably Susan has and will continue to remind Mr. Delaney that not only is the University of Connecticut NYC's College Team (ask SNY), we are also The Flagship University of Southern New England. She should be promising an arrangement whereby Connecticut hosts one B1G opponent at Gillette and MetLife in alternating years....

Reaction Score
Well then, presumably Susan has and will continue to remind Mr. Delaney that not only is the University of Connecticut NYC's College Team (ask SNY), we are also The Flagship University of Southern New England. She should be promising an arrangement whereby Connecticut hosts one B1G opponent at Gillette and MetLife in alternating years....

Linking UConn to the B1G could absolutely have an explosive effect on the popularity of college football in this region.

The question shouldn't be: what is UConn's current value to the B1G, the question should be what WILL it be.

Casual football fans know a real football league when they see it. And the Big East has not been top rung since we made the move.

UConn competing at a higher level will literally be transformative for UConn, and the benefits of gaining to the B1G will be too numerous to enumerate.

If the Big East can make Louisville and Rutgers, just imagine what the B1G would do for us.

Reaction Score
That's what Warde and Susan's selling point ought to be by the way....

Reaction Score
Bottom up for time sequencing:

Big12Conference 1:24pm via TweetDeck
Bowlsby: "We have spoken with three bowls in Florida and would like to have at least one there". #Big12

Big12Conference 1:23pm via TweetDeck
Bowlsby "We also talked about NCAA legislation and the in-stadium experience to make it a better game environment for fans" #Big12

Big12Conference 1:22pm via TweetDeck
Bowlsby (re: bowls): "Destination is important. Fan experience is important and student-athlete experience is important."

Big12Conference 1:21pm via TweetDeck
Bowlsby - "Once we know host bowls, we will be anxious to put additional bowl agreements together. This was a way to identify priorities"

Big12Conference 1:18pm via TweetDeck
Bowlsby - "Spent a good amount of time on bowl agreements and football scheduling" #Big12

Big12Conference 1:17pm via TweetDeck
#Big12 Directors of Athletics meetings have concluded for today. Commissioner Bob Bowlsby speaking to media now.

Additional info on bowls...

Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN)
1/29/13, 3:33 PM
Bowlsby indicated Valero Alamo or Meineke Car Care bowls likely candidates to move up in Big 12 order if Cotton joins playoff rotation.

Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN)
1/29/13, 3:39 PM
Bowlsby identified Gator (Jacksonville) and Russell Athletic (Orlando) as two Florida bowl possibilities for Big 12.

Reaction Score
The goofs at WV and other Bloggers have been wrong almost every step of the way. Even a media moron like Dodd is usually way off on realignment and the ACC.

The ACC will survive and prosper despite what butthurt WV bloggers post. The TV contract has increased to apparently $19M+ average over the course of the contract (up from $14M or so before Cuse/Pitt/ND/UL). That doesn't count ACC schools receiving $5-10M from other media/marketing sources. The ACC network will lord over 100+ million consumers within the ACC market. I'm not buying teams leaving for the B1G. BTN money are projections and the cable industry is under enormous pressure from both emerging technologies and consumers.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The goofs at WV and other Bloggers have been wrong almost every step of the way. Even a media moron like Dodd is usually way off on realignment and the ACC.

The ACC will survive and prosper despite what butthurt WV bloggers post. The TV contract has increased to apparently $19M+ average over the course of the contract (up from $14M or so before Cuse/Pitt/ND/UL). That doesn't count ACC schools receiving $5-10M from other media/marketing sources. The ACC network will lord over 100+ million consumers within the ACC market. I'm not buying teams leaving for the B1G. BTN money are projections and the cable industry is under enormous pressure from both emerging technologies and consumers.

MD left fyi

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Thank god for that, I was concerned.

Reaction Score
MD left fyi
What, really? Wow!

Amazing how that came outta leftfield...the insider plans revealed by the Dude/MFer3 was a guaranteed done deal to be FSU/Clemson to the B12.

I'm not saying the ACC won't lose a team or two..I just don't think it is probable right now.

Reaction Score
If we lose the Russell Athletic, what is our best bowl? We're going to lose the bowl in NC as well. Pinstripe is probably gone as well.

Memphis better come through and get us the Liberty Bowl. Unless I missed something and we already have that in the future.

Trying not be a negative Nancy in this, but this is where it really gets real.

Pretty much...

JFowlerCBS 4:48pm via TweetDeck
If B12 moves into Russell Athletic Bowl (Bowlsby mentioned possibility), could play into ACC alliance theme (ACC already a part of RA bowl)

4 year ACC- Big East agreement expires @ end of 2013.

Reaction Score
The Tank's take:

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/big-12-and-acc-relations-alliance-or-raid/

"Now, once again, I can never say never in conference realignment. Maybe Jim Delany’s projected revenue figures for a Big 16 or Big 18 are so outrageous that he can put the smackdown on the ACC more than I’m giving the Big Ten credit for. Maybe Mike Slive is freaked out enough about the thought of either the Big Ten or Big 12 getting into the state of Florida by adding Florida State that the SEC would take the Noles in an act of self-defense. In either event, it’s really up to the Big Ten or SEC to make a move. The Big 12 would then have to hope that some other valuable pieces would fall their way. I don’t see that happening anytime soon, but the speculation will continue."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The ACC Network is a non-starter. Still-born. And every ounce of ACC content is already sold, so they ain't getting another $10M from any source - ESPN will be a partner in the imminent SEC Network and they're not going to throw money down a rathole in those same markets with an ACC Network that really no one wants.

The money the ACC has now is the money they will have in 2020 and beyond - the Big Ten and SEC will swamp them in a couple of years and the gap will expand yearly.

That is the reality of it.

Reaction Score
The Tank's take:

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/big-12-and-acc-relations-alliance-or-raid/

"Now, once again, I can never say never in conference realignment. Maybe Jim Delany’s projected revenue figures for a Big 16 or Big 18 are so outrageous that he can put the smackdown on the ACC more than I’m giving the Big Ten credit for. Maybe Mike Slive is freaked out enough about the thought of either the Big Ten or Big 12 getting into the state of Florida by adding Florida State that the SEC would take the Noles in an act of self-defense. In either event, it’s really up to the Big Ten or SEC to make a move. The Big 12 would then have to hope that some other valuable pieces would fall their way. I don’t see that happening anytime soon, but the speculation will continue."

Anyone ever read Thucydides? Why do nations go to war?

Fear, Greed and Jealousy. Think there is enough of that in play here?

If things pop, it's going TO BE SPECTACULAR.

Reaction Score
The ACC Network is a non-starter. Still-born. And every ounce of ACC content is already sold, so they ain't getting another $10M from any source - ESPN will be a partner in the imminent SEC Network and they're not going to throw money down a rathole in those same markets with an ACC Network that really no one wants.

The money the ACC has now is the money they will have in 2020 and beyond - the Big Ten and SEC will swamp them in a couple of years and the gap will expand yearly.

That is the reality of it.

And as Mark drafts his retort, and I really like Mark he's been a great poster with us for years, let me add one more tidbit.

Even if what you say isn't true. The ACC and ACC schools will never get as much money per school as the Big 4 are going to get.

That fact alone will forever be a source of instability. If Clempsun and Free Shoes University can switch country clubs for a better payday.

They will. Count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01