Big 12 Meetings | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's gotta be us and Cincy. Doesn't make sense to go 1 team East, 1 team West. Plus adding a 3rd time zone for just 1 team makes little sense as well. My only worry is that the 7 in favor of expansion prefer us and Cincy but Texas might demand BYU to get them to come on board. That seems like worst case scenario.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's gotta be us and Cincy. Doesn't make sense to go 1 team East, 1 team West. Plus adding a 3rd time zone for just 1 team makes little sense as well. My only worry is that the 7 in favor of expansion prefer us and Cincy but Texas might demand BYU to get them to come on board. That seems like worst case scenario.
I agree. If the four schools mentioned are UConn, Cincy, BYU, and Colorado St., I feel that it is an either-or situation: UConn/UC or BYU/CSU. BYU presents many challenges and CSU is the worst of the four candidates, and both of them would expand the conference into three timezones so I feel it will be us and Cincy.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 going after Colarado State is like adding St. Louis to recapture the Missouri market. This speculation can't be taken serious. There are only three choices and it will be 2 of the 3. The fact that UConn brought Tranghese in then hired Benedict tells me something has been in the works for a while and for the past few months, they have been closing the deal. Somewhere. There is simply no way there is more movement and UConn is left out. They are the most valuable school available. Hands down. Cincy is simply a filler. From the athletics department to their market, they are simply average across the board. The true get is UConn and BYU.

Reaction Score
.... but Texas might demand BYU...

I’m not sure where a worry like that got its start, but as a long-time fan of the Horns, it strikes me as improbable.

Texas has always hated ankle-biting church schools who drain more than they contribute. The old SWC was hampered by church schools with small enrollments and small, apathetic fanbases.

Texas, Tech, A&M and Houston tried to leave all of the private schools and join the Big 12 in 1996 but Baylor was politically connected and usurped Houston.

I was surprised when TCU was invited into the Big 12 sixteen years later and I’d be even more amazed if Texas supported a BYU invitation.

And on top of the church school stigma, there’s also the Sunday ban. Texas may be known for football, but historically Texas has always been more relevant in baseball. I seriously doubt Texas wants to take its players out of class on Thursday and Friday for a three game series in Provo just because BYU won’t play on Sundays.

Also, as UConn fans, keep this in mind. In 2012 when the Big 12 invited WVU, OU supposedly wanted Louisville. In hindsight, Louisville might have been a better choice but in 2012 it was a wash. So why did the Big 12 invite WVU? Because supposedly Texas preferred WVU because it was a state flagship university.

Unless Texas has completely changed its tune, I really can't imagine Texas choosing BYU over UConn.

I think the problem is Texas isn't overly anxious to invite anybody just yet. I'm not sure if it's complete indifference or a negotiating tactic.

Reaction Score
I agree. If the four schools mentioned are UConn, Cincy, BYU, and Colorado St., I feel that it is an either-or situation: UConn/UC or BYU/CSU. BYU presents many challenges and CSU is the worst of the four candidates, and both of them would expand the conference into three timezones so I feel it will be us and Cincy.

The way I see it, there are three packages for three goals:

1. The damn everything but football goal - BYU and Boise State.

2. The damn everything but geography goal - Cincy and Memphis.

3. The damn everything but TV market upside goal - UConn and UCF.

Naturally there are other things to take into consideration too - like national branding, reputation and academics. And most likely there will be mixing and matching.

I suspect the Big 12 will forego western expansion and opt for:

Cincy as a geographic bridge to WVU and a not too shabby football asset, and;

UConn as the best TV market upside with the added benefit of a fine national brand, reputation and academics.

When everything is said and done, we'll hear wild ass stories about how OU wanted Cincy and Memphis while Texas wanted UConn and UCF and how they compromised for the good of the conference. Blah, blah, blah.

Reaction Score
I avoided reading that for awhile because of the reaction it was getting on twitter from the UConn people i follow, but man is it horrible. Where exactly does he get the idea that we would only draw 27k for Texas, he does realize we had to add temporary seating for Michigan? Ohhhhh thats right he's a national "expert" and so research into a topic isnt all that needed, he can just go off his "expertise"

Reaction Score
I avoided reading that for awhile because of the reaction it was getting on twitter from the UConn people i follow, but man is it horrible. Where exactly does he get the idea that we would only draw 27k for Texas, he does realize we had to add temporary seating for Michigan? Ohhhhh thats right he's a national "expert" and so research into a topic isnt all that needed, he can just go off his "expertise"
I try not to get emotional reading stuff like that, but what a jerk off. Pure drivel.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Can't wait until all these national "experts" eat crow.

And kudos to whoever here was going after Mike Decourcy on Twitter. If he's not even hearing UConn as a candidate then he's talking to the wrong people. He says that "there is no impetus to add UConn." and only CT media is listing UConn as an option. And then the truth bombs get dropped about Dallas Morning News Chuck Carlton's report that we are a top 4 contender. And then silence from Decourcy. Perfect.

Reaction Score
Can't wait until all these national "experts" eat crow.

And kudos to whoever here was going after Mike Decourcy on Twitter. If he's not even hearing UConn as a candidate then he's talking to the wrong people. He says that "there is no impetus to add UConn." and only CT media is listing UConn as an option. And then the truth bombs get dropped about Dallas Morning News Chuck Carlton's report that we are a top 4 contender. And then silence from Decourcy. Perfect.

Decourcy is a basketball guy and he's always been good about giving UConn credit for all it's accomplished on the hardwood, especially when other members of the National Media don't want to put us among the elite.

That said, much like how Tim Brando is a football guy who doesn't get the business of college sports, Decourcy is a basketball guy with no sense of how the actual business is run.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Decourcy is a basketball guy and he's always been good about giving UConn credit for all it's accomplished on the hardwood, especially when other members of the National Media don't want to put us among the elite.

That said, much like how Tim Brando is a football guy who doesn't get the business of college sports, Decourcy is a basketball guy with no sense of how the actual business is run.
I really think Brando got used as a vehicle from someone inside the ACC. Not his thoughts - just sprouting what was planted for him.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

I agree Decourcy is usually fair about UConn basketball, but I'm sure if I tried hard enough (i.e. Googled) I'd recall some stories from him that were not so flattering.

Nothing personal against him specifically. Just a lot of unresearched / biased / non-fact based sheete out there - it's going to blow their minds if the Big 12 expands because it will be with UConn unless we are already taken elsewhere (and not some super secret invite). Fact is we are the most valuable property on the board - as all of you my fellow compatriots already know. The rest of them will know too!

Reaction Score
My buddy in Austin who is well connected at UT and is a long time friend of the new Texas AD (as well as the current U of Houston Prez) texted me tonight that his feedback from various "unofficial" sources is that the Big12 will be "standing pat at 10 teams". Sees Texas (and OU--if academics won't get in the way) heading to B1G in time. Reluctance of cable companies to put up enough money for a network is key. In the meantime Houston is putting on a full court press. The front page of Houston Chronicle (not sports section) blared "Houston Belongs in Big XII". I was told it wasn't regarding expansion of the conference, it was to be the replacement for a problematic Baylor should the conference decide to eject. With all of its problems and with both former Gov. Ann Richards and Bob Bullocks now deceased, Baylor is seen as vulnerable. Houston wants to be the replacement should it happen. In the meantime, whispers are that in 2017 Tom Hermann will replace Charlie Strong at Texas. Lots of intrigue down there. I hope it's all wrong and we get an invite to an expanded Big XII conference, but I'm not feeling it after hearing all of the above. Let's hope my buddy has mis-interpreted what he's been hearing.

Reaction Score
If what you are hearing is correct than "Controlled Implosion" is what's coming to the Big 12. If Texas and Ok leave there will be a new order in college sports. Forget Power 5. Think Power 2 or maybe Power 3. Not good for college sports.

Reaction Score
Based on absolutely nothing (though I follow all news and "news" closely), my odds of UConn becoming a Big 12 school has gone from 0% to roughly 60% back down to roughly 20%.

The Big 12, in my opinion, is going to die soon. And that will set off the next round of CR which may end up getting us into the P5, or it may not. But I'm not holding out hope that the next few weeks will bring an invite.

The Big 12 is a very weird conference. There's so much drama and dissenting opinions and information. Doesn't exactly scream opportunity to me.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
My buddy in Austin who is well connected at UT and is a long time friend of the new Texas AD (as well as the current U of Houston Prez) texted me tonight that his feedback from various "unofficial" sources is that the Big12 will be "standing pat at 10 teams". Sees Texas (and OU--if academics won't get in the way) heading to B1G in time. Reluctance of cable companies to put up enough money for a network is key. In the meantime Houston is putting on a full court press. The front page of Houston Chronicle (not sports section) blared "Houston Belongs in Big XII". I was told it wasn't regarding expansion of the conference, it was to be the replacement for a problematic Baylor should the conference decide to eject. With all of its problems and with both former Gov. Ann Richards and Bob Bullocks now deceased, Baylor is seen as vulnerable. Houston wants to be the replacement should it happen. In the meantime, whispers are that in 2017 Tom Hermann will replace Charlie Strong at Texas. Lots of intrigue down there. I hope it's all wrong and we get an invite to an expanded Big XII conference, but I'm not feeling it after hearing all of the above. Let's hope my buddy has mis-interpreted what he's been hearing.
Baylor will not get kicked out of the BXII. I wish they would, but that's not happening.

Reaction Score

Just making sure....this is a 100% honest post and not a typical message board troll post? I'm not a regular around here so I don't know the posters that well. If what you posted is an honest truth of what the person said, that is a big insight into how this will likely go down.

Reaction Score
Texas will continue to say this up to the very end. They simply are trying to get the best deal possible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just making sure....this is a 100% honest post and not a typical message board troll post? I'm not a regular around here so I don't know the posters that well. If what you posted is an honest truth of what the person said, that is a big insight into how this will likely go down.

100% you can guarantee that's what he heard.

Hopefully not true but it all makes sense.

Also hopefully you Jeffrey Larson - 'Put in Larson' 'Jeffrey Larson'.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Texas will continue to say this up to the very end. They simply are trying to get the best deal possible.

The problem is going to be that the best deal Texas can get it is the one they have today. The last quarter of cable subs was a bloodbath - if you aren't on the open market with premium content good luck.

Look at the CUSA deal. Pretty much their new deal is 4 networks will pay to produce the games.

Reaction Score
The problem is going to be that the best deal Texas can get it is the one they have today. The last quarter of cable subs was a bloodbath - if you aren't on the open market with premium content good luck.

Look at the CUSA deal. Pretty much their new deal is 4 networks will pay to produce the games.
I fully expect in the end for Texas to play savior and commit to the Big12. I also fully expect for Texas to get paid out in full on their current deal and still receive extra benefits. I think Texas has no interest in joining the B1g. I also think that the people in College Station must be doing cartwheels through all of this. If Texas doesn't think this through longterm they really are in jeopardy of playing second fiddle in their own state. Who would have thought that?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The logic is this: if UT and OU are looking elsewhere, or if the other 8 think they are, those 8 will vote for expansion. The league and it's TV deal survive as long as they have 10 members. Given the chance that Baylor gets near death penalty sanctions, it ups the risk even more.

I think expansion is more likely, as the less valuable schools face the prospect of losing P5 status.

Reaction Score
The logic is this: if UT and OU are looking elsewhere, or if the other 8 think they are, those 8 will vote for expansion. The league and it's TV deal survive as long as they have 10 members. Given the chance that Baylor gets near death penalty sanctions, it ups the risk even more.

I think expansion is more likely, as the less valuable schools face the prospect of losing P5 status.
This. Plus, don't underestimate the fact that Texas does not want to join another conference. It wants to reign supreme in this one. Sure, those lesser schools have a lot to lose but its Texas who has the most to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom