Bettencourt and Portugal U20 Team | The Boneyard

Bettencourt and Portugal U20 Team

Reaction Score
Ines has been practicing with the U20 team in preparation for the European Championships running from July 29th to August 6th.

They have played four exhibitions recently. Keep in mind that these are more to try out a bunch of different players and lineups and not necessarily coached to win.

4 points in 13 minutes against Slovakia on Friday:

5 points in 19 minutes against Greece on Saturday:

5 points in 15 minutes against Spain on Sunday:

11 points and 6 steals in 18 minutes against Slovakia today:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I absolutely LOVE the experience she is getting. From the box score it looks like she is a starter now? Or at least she started the last game? Great to see her getting all that experience on the floor - something she didn't see a lot of at UCONN.

I am really rooting for her for this coming season. She and Amari seem like such great kids, and great teammates, With a roster of 14 and so much talent, carving out a spot for PT will be a challenge. I hope the both of them earn more than just a few minutes at the end of blowouts...

Reaction Score
It should also boost her confidence. I was most impressed by her poise last season when the roster shrunk. Practicing with her UConn team mates for 10 months has to help. This week she can see her own improvement.
Bettencourt seems motivated and she has the physical tools, decent size, fast, quick hands and intensity. I think she shouldn't be shuffled down the bench just yet. She might be the No. 4 guard. The starters know each other very well and Geno will be running some sophisticated things at both ends so subs who can fit in to what the rest are doing will be more likely to play than those who have ball skills.

Reaction Score
Ines has been practicing with the U20 team in preparation for the European Championships running from July 29th to August 6th.

They have played four exhibitions recently. Keep in mind that these are more to try out a bunch of different players and lineups and not necessarily coached to win.

4 points in 13 minutes against Slovakia on Friday:

5 points in 19 minutes against Greece on Saturday:

5 points in 15 minutes against Spain on Sunday:

11 points and 6 steals in 18 minutes against Slovakia today:
Nothing like a 28-3 third quarter... Something that Ines will be able recreate with UCONN... Steals and Fast Break action are in our viewing future!

Not sure when the last time 3 UCONN Huskies were starting on their National teams, and NONE of them are on the USA [AE - Canada, Sr. Team; Jana - Egypt, U19; Ines - Portugal, U20]... I pretty sure this is it! Will Ireland be next year?!? [With Gandy...]

I'm pretty sure it will be Paige with USA after she claims the NPOY (again, after being blessed with health and strength this coming year - let Geno & CD keep the clipboards...)

Go HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
Nothing like a 28-3 third quarter... Something that Ines will be able recreate with UCONN... Steals and Fast Break action are in our viewing future!

Not sure when the last time 3 UCONN Huskies were starting on their National teams, and NONE of them are on the USA [AE - Canada, Sr. Team; Jana - Egypt, U19; Ines - Portugal, U20]... I pretty sure this is it! Will Ireland be next year?!? [With Gandy...]

I'm pretty sure it will be Paige with USA after she claims the NPOY (again, after being blessed with health and strength this coming year - let Geno & CD keep the clipboards...)

Go HUSKIES!!!!!
Don't forget that Nika would be on the Croatian National team (I think the timing is
off due to the Huskie preparation for the 12th N.C. (IMO).)
There could still be last minutes changes, but the team is heading to their next training camp with these teammates for Ines:
Hold on a second.... this is a listing of the Brazil National team U 20. The colors are similiar.. but
check the Roster description of the players.
Also.... I'm not sure but
I don't believe that Croatia had a National Team in a FIBA tournament this
year in Nika's age group. Anybody know of that possibility??

Reaction Score
Don't forget that Nika would be on the Croatian National team (I think the timing is
off due to the Husky preparation for the 12th N.C. (IMO).)

Hold on a second.... this is a listing of the Brazil National team U 20. The colors are similiar.. but
check the Roster description of the players.
Also.... I'm not sure but
I don't believe that Croatia had a National Team in a FIBA tournament this
year in Nika's age group. Anybody know of that possibility??
U20 is the oldest youth competition and it is only in Europe. Croatia did not enter a women's basketball team at the World University Games. Not knowing when they will have Nika, Croatia's senior team will definitely be hoping to be healthy and otherwise available for EuroBasket 2025 qualification, which will be the next two Novembers and then February of 2025. Ivana Dojkic had multiple untimely injuries, but they did get Shavonte Zellous for the last window and she almost did enough on her own.

Reaction Score
U20 is the oldest youth competition and it is only in Europe. Croatia did not enter a women's basketball team at the World University Games. Not knowing when they will have Nika, Croatia's senior team will definitely be hoping to be healthy and otherwise available for EuroBasket 2025 qualification, which will be the next two Novembers and then February of 2025. Ivana Dojkic had multiple untimely injuries, but they did get Shavonte Zellous for the last window and she almost did enough on her own.
Thanks for the information and update!

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Inês, is in the FIBA system from 2022.

I'm really hoping she ends up with stats and more pics for 2023.

Reaction Score
FYI: Portugal is in GROUP A of the FIBA U20 Women's European Championships. July 29 - August 6
(As noted previously). Group A is Portugal, Israel, Serbia, and the Czech Rep. So, we should
expect to see INES in the first game of Group A on Saturday 7 /29 at 6 AM vs the
Czech Republic. The U 20 tournament is a 16-team field with the normal FIBA format.
Go to the FIBA web page for" FIBA U20 WOMEN's European Championships," or
Youtube.com/Fiba GO INES! Go Portugal!!!1

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Portugal's group
Tips of 6 days from now.

A link above reference the last training site where the 20 players would be practicing I think it said 19-24th. Then the tournament starts on the 28th. I have to assume 8 of the 20 practicing now won't be going to the tournament.

But what do I know? This is the first year I've tried to watch the kids play in the summer tournaments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here is a site with dates, times, and a link to the live YouTube games

The FIBA Roster for Portugal lists 23 players: obviously an early submission. It includes five
point guards. I found another list of 12 players with four point guards including Ines Bettencourt.
Who will start at PG for Portugal U 20? Our " Ines" is the second youngest on the team, 18 years old, with
their Center Rita Rodriques 6' 3" being the youngest at 17 years old.
The competition is probably INES VIEIRA, the rising Junior point guard at the University of Utah.
Vieira's Utah Stats are: 2022-2023: 32 games 14 starts 17.4 minutes per game 2.6 ppg
FG % .303, Three point % .239. FT % 0.884, and she led the team in assists at 2.96 per game. This
second "Ines" moved from Maderia Island, Portugal to Lisbon to train with the Portuguese
u 16 women's team when she was 13 years old!!! She is 5' 6', our INES is listed at 5'9".
Maderia "INES" is 19 years old, UCONN/ Azores " INES" is 18 years old. Madeira is usually # 4
Our INES is usually # 8. In photos they look incredibly alike (to my eyes). I have seen
some evidence that "Our" INES is quicker (e.g., number of steals). I suspect that the two "Ines" will be
the primary P.G. with the backup point guards being Cristina Freitas 19-year-old, 5' 8"
and Marta Roseiro 19 years of age, also at 5' 8" GO INES (# 8, show your UCONN grit!!
Go Portugal, beat the Czech Republic!!

Reaction Score
For those Boneyarders who may be watching INES play for the U 20 FIBA team this Saturday, there
are two other members of the Portuguese Team who play for USA colleges (besides the
previously mentioned Ines Vieira of U of Utah (see above). Both were Freshmen last year.
Gabriela Falcao, 6' 1" center from La Salle in Philly. She played in 25 games and has been on
numerous FIBA teams: U 14, U 16, U18, and U 19. She played about 6 minutes a game.
AND.... A TEAMMATE OF HANA MUHL!!! of Ball State University: Ana Barreto 5' 10", Small
Forward. Ana played in 17 games (Hana played in 33 games), with 5.4 mpg. Ana has also played
in U14, U16, and U 19 Fiba tournaments for Portugal.
I'm looking forward to seeing INES share the PG duties and to see how much the other
USA/Portuguese players get to play. Go INES! See: FIBA U 20 WOMEN's European Basketball
Championship, 2023, Lithuania. This is Division A, Portugal is in Group A at 6 AM Saturday. (When I
last checked).

Reaction Score
Meet Allie Ziebell
Remember this thread is about Ines and the Portuguese U 20 Women's national Basketball team at the
FIBA U 20 European Championship. There is no USA U 20 team in this 16-team tournament in
Lithuania! Of some interest... Juste Joycte is listed on the Lithuania U 20 National Team after
competing on the Lithuania U 19 team that competed in Madrid Spain. If she does compete, Juste
will have participated in two 8-day fiba tournaments in just over 3 weeks!! THAT IS A LOT OF
BASKETBALL FOR ANYONE, no matter how young and athletic you might be???!!!
USA and Allie Ziebell won gold, ... of course... in that tournament beating Spain
69 - 66 in front of 10,000++ Spanish fans. GO INES! GO HUSKY!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom