Best Regular-Season Wins in the Calhoun Era | The Boneyard

Best Regular-Season Wins in the Calhoun Era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In my book, Shock the World: UConn Basketball in the Calhoun Era, I created lists about best wins, worst losses, most under-rated players, best dunk, and other things. Here is a list of the Best Regular Season Wins in the Calhoun Era.
All-Calhoun Era, Best Regular Season Wins (#1)
UConn 70, Georgetown 65
January 20, 1990
Hartford Civic Center
All-Calhoun Era, Best Regular Season Wins (#2)
UConn 86, Syracuse 75
February 12, 1995
Gampel Pavilion
All-Calhoun Era, Best Regular Season Wins (#3)
UConn 70, Pittsburgh 69
December 12, 1998
Fitzgerald Field House, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
All-Calhoun Era, Best Regular Season Wins (#4)
UConn 70, Stanford 59
February 6, 1999
Maples Pavilion, Palo Alto, California
All-Calhoun Era, Best Regular Season Wins (#5)
UConn 94, BC 91 (2OT)
February 9, 1994
Conte Forum, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
All-Calhoun Era, Best Regular Season Wins (#6)
UConn 82, Texas 81
January 8, 2011
Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas
All-Calhoun Era, Best Regular Season Wins (#7)
UConn 100, Arizona 98 (OT)
January 26, 2002
McHale Center, Tucson Arizona
All-Calhoun Era, Best Regular Season Wins (#8)
UConn 84, Kentucky 67
November 24, 2010
Lahaina Civic Center, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
All-Calhoun Era, Best Regular Season Wins (#9)
UConn 75, Villanova 74 (OT)
February 28, 2004
First Union Center, Philadelphia Pennsylvania
All-Calhoun Era, Best Regular Season Wins (#10)
UConn 89, Villanova 75
February 26, 2006
Gampel Pavilion

Reaction Score
It's crazy but I remember so many details about each of those games except #2. Cuse at Gampel in '95???...besides being SU's first trip to Gampel, what was special about this one? I would have included Cuse at the HCC in Jan 1990...

The #5 game...OT win at BC...We were down 15+ pts in the 2nd half before a crazy comeback. Ollie was the master floor general. Very fitting.

I would put the road game @ Stanford game even higher than #4. No Rip in that game and Jake was 50% or so. KEA and Mouring hit huge shots for a huge early lead. Maples was rocking as Stanford made a comeback in the 2nd. We were coming off our first loss of the season to Cuse at the HCC.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
It's crazy but I remember so many details about each of those games except #2. Cuse at Gampel in '95???...besides being SU's first trip to Gampel, what was special about this one? I would have included Cuse at the HCC in Jan 1990...

The #5 game...OT win at BC...We were down 15+ pts in the 2nd half before a crazy comeback. Ollie was the master floor general. Very fitting.

I would put the road game @ Stanford game even higher than #4. No Rip in that game and Jake was 50% or so. KEA and Mouring hit huge shots for a huge early lead. Maples was rocking as Stanford made a comeback in the 2nd. We were coming off our first loss of the season to Cuse at the HCC.

I agree with raising the status of @ Stanford game. That was a real "WOW" game and galvanized the team, IMO.

Reaction Score
The Indiana win in 2007 has to be up there. Beating a top ten team on the road without Dyson and wiggins

Reaction Score

I loved that game at Stanford in 1999. After I watched that game, I thought, man ... we could win the national championship. Great game.

Why the Syracuse game?

Coming into that game -- an ESPN Big Monday game at Gampel – both teams were 7-0 in the league. UConn was ranked second in the nation, Syracuse was sixth. The Huskies were undefeated and the Orangemen had one loss. Syracuse led by 11 with 11:40 remaining in regulation. Calhoun called a timeout and preached defense. He put the press on and the Huskies went on a 20-6 run. At the same time, Allen got hot. “Everything I shot felt good,” he said. Nineteen of Allen’s 31 points came in the second half, and the Huskies won the game, 86–75. Allen considers this game and the one the following year against Villanova at Gampel as the two most memorable in his UConn career.

Reaction Score
The Indiana win in 2007 has to be up there. Beating a top ten team on the road without Dyson and wiggins

I believe that game was in 2008. I was there. Awesome game. Calhoun called it the best win since Duke in '04 and that he had an even better feeling that day than he did when the team won the title in 2004. Great game.

Reaction Score
I believe that game was in 2008. I was there. Awesome game. Calhoun called it the best win since Duke in '04 and that he had an even better feeling that day than he did when the team won the title in 2004. Great game.

Yep, you are right it was 2008. Nobody gave UConn a chance to win that game, including most of us. That win gave the players a ton of confidence and those players eventually made the final four the following year. There is no coach that rallied teams through adversity better than Jim Calhoun.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The game at UVA in (I believe early December) 1993 needs to be high on that list.

The Nova game in very early 1996 (that was postponed one day due to a blizzard) also belongs.

Reaction Score
The game at UVA in (I believe early December) 1993 needs to be high on that list.

The Nova game in very early 1996 (that was postponed one day due to a blizzard) also belongs.

The game at UVa was such a blow up that I didn't include it. Ray Allen loved that Nova game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The #1 game is dead on. I think the Kentucky game #8 should be #2. That game was the rock that NC #3 was built on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom