Best player on this team is Donovan clingan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best player on this team is Donovan clingan

Reaction Score
I think we all would agree that DC came in understanding that this was Sanogo's year. He can be ecstatic about how he's playing and thinks he deserves more minutes....but there is ZERO chance (imo) he's soured about playing time.

He understands the vision very well

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hurley has actually used the fact that he doesn't have a set for them together

This says it all
He is paid to work on these things. He has to see that DC proven he is a game changer on several occasions so I would think he would have tried to work with his staff to come up with some sets that include both big guys on the floor.

AWest:
As far as JC not using Boone and Caron together
It would be hard to do when Caron went in the 2002 draft and Boone didnt step on campus until fall that year. (Remember Boone won a NC his freshman year and CB never was on a NC team)
So technically you are right because he didn't have the option to do so but I have absolutely no doubt he would have played them together at times

Reaction Score
I think we all would agree that DC came in understanding that this was Sanogo's year. He can be ecstatic about how he's playing and thinks he deserves more minutes....but there is ZERO chance (imo) he's soured about playing time.

Pure speculation.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

If it's not in the best interest of the team at the present time - I hope he wouldn't be thinking that way - if you are playing at the level he is you want maximum minutes and he hasn't been afforded them

Reaction Score
The last game was a classic example. We’re separated by one or two points from the start of the game, and we’re picking up stupid fouls. Hurley puts in Clingan early 1st half and immediately the game’s complexion changes, before you can say Go Huskies we have a 12 point lead. Five minutes or so left in the half, Clingan sits and Sanogo comes in, by half time the lead evaporates and we are tied.
He's been our best player but this is just completely false. He came into the game when we were up 13-8 and came out of the game and we were up 18-15, so that's a -2 point swing during his time

Reaction Score
Hawkins is the best player on this team right now. Sanogo is the next best player. It's a big drop off after that. Clingan is tremendous in certain situations, but doesn't fit Hurley's defense at all and can't guard any of the mobile bigs in this league. The attempt to adapt to Clingan is part of why I think it has fallen apart. Hurley just isn't great at adapting his scheme to his players.
Not fitting Hurley's defense based on recent results seems like more of a positive than a negative!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Clingan has been amazing and has exceeded probably everyone's wildest expectations. That being said, I don't really see how you can ever chalk him down for 27-32 minutes EVERY night. He's far too foul-prone, which is to be expected as he adjusts to the speed of the game.

I do think danny should pick his spots better and give him some more run, with Sanogo. But he's averaging 6 fouls per 40. That rakim lubin-esque. When he's playing well tho, i think you gotta give him a longer leash, but i'm okay with the current staggering of him and sanogo to start.

It's still January. Plenty of season left to figure everything out. Minute crunches like this always sort of have a way of figuring themselves out. Someone will get hot, someone will get cold, someone will get hurt, etc
That works out to 3 fouls in 20 mins. Considering what he has accomplished in 20 minutes or less that is not bad at all. His contributions on offense and defense are staggering for the minutes he plays. Besides, the more he plays the sooner he gets the experience which will help us win more games down the stretch. His increase of minutes is one of the easiest ways to give this team a shot in the arm and continue his growth at the same time. Something has to be done and we have reached a point where opponents have boxed us in without him on the floor. We have run out of options at this point. I don't think DH really has any rabbits to pull out of the hat and is going to be forced to do this no matter whatever previous "visions" he has had.

"If you want your dreams to come true wake up!"

Reaction Score
Since I thinks it helps to have the data to back up a point... Here is the on/off combo data for AS / DC from conference play. Not enough minutes of them on the floor together to make any meaningful assessments about that, but the 91 minutes DC has given us with Sanogo on the bench have been very very good. Especially on the defensive end and offensive rebounds.

View attachment 83117
I wish there were enough minutes to assess the result of AS and DC complimenting the play of each other on both defense and offense. I think it might be quite positively revealing.

Reaction Score
In 8 league games AJ and Newton are shooting 34% overall. Three amigos of Joey, Alleyne and Diarra are actually worse. Hawkins, the guy we work so hard to get open (and wear him out running around) is shooting 37%. Too many low % shots. 45% of UConn's shots are 3's, that's Golden State Warriors range and I'm not seeing any Curry clones on UConn. Opponents have made 50 more foul shots in just 8 games (and that includes playing Butler and Georgetown).

Clingan has taken 29 shots in 8 league games.

Minutes played per game:

Alleyne 14.1
Diarra 13.9
Clingan 12.3
Joey 11.6

Too bad UConn doesn't have a big guy who shoots 69%, averages a rebound every 2 minutes and a block every 6 minutes.

Reaction Score
Two of those calls on him were ridiculous and he got screwed on the flagrant, guy was mugging him on the rebound with no call so Donovan created some space with the high bows. Technically the right call these days I guess but call the foul on the Johnnies player and none of that takes place.

Still don't know what Hurley was saving him for, it's criminal how few minutes he gets. Coach should maybe be more worried about alienating Clingan than he is Sanogo.
This.

Reaction Score
We KNOW JC would play both guys together---there is no doubt in my mind.
I am not disputing this, but Calhoun did struggle with getting Andre Drummond and Alex Oriakhi to play together, which lead to a disgruntled Oriakhi having an awful last Season at Uconn and then transferring out. That said I would like to see this team play both together.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not fitting Hurley's defense based on recent results seems like more of a positive than a negative!
Unless the not fitting is part of the cause of the recent results. Which it probably is, in part. Hurley has never, ever run a "Hey Bill" defense like Calhoun did. He simply never had the shot blocking to play tight outside and rely on that rim protection. Calhoun didn't either for a long time. I'm not entirely sure the Hey Bill defense works in this era, unless you actually have Bill Russell.

I honestly think we need to force jump shots, get a hand in the face, and rely on rebounding and transition basketball.

Reaction Score
Donovan has been great…but on Sunday he was abysmal. It happens…but if we want to go where we want to go, its not with him as our best player. Hes just not 100% there yet, but boy will it be scary when he is.

Reaction Score
I am not disputing this, but Calhoun did struggle with getting Andre Drummond and Alex Oriakhi to play together, which lead to a disgruntled Oriakhi having an awful last Season at Uconn and then transferring out. That said I would like to see this team play both together.
No need to force feed anything. I believe both players have flexibility to their games. I want adama out there for 35 minutes---but maybe 22 of those from the 4 the other 13 from the 5. I think we can do that successfully.
weve had a problem being bullied--but if you put a line up of 7-2 6-9 6-8 6-6 6-5 prob would not be bullied

Reaction Score

This says it all
He is paid to work on these things. He has to see that DC proven he is a game changer on several occasions so I would think he would have tried to work with his staff to come up with some sets that include both big guys on the floor.

AWest:
It would be hard to do when Caron went in the 2002 draft and Boone didnt step on campus until fall that year. (Remember Boone won a NC his freshman year and CB never was on a NC team)
So technically you are right because he didn't have the option to do so but I have absolutely no doubt he would have played them together at times
Are you comparing A Sanogo to Caron?

Reaction Score
To get Clingan on the floor someone has to sit. Had high hopes for Newton, but it just hasn’t worked out. So I’d put my 5 best players on the floor.
Sanogo
Ajax
Hawkins
Clingan
Karaban
I’ve been against the 2 bigs (mainly because I don’t see Sanogo being a positive at the 4) but it’s time to give it a try with implementation of a zone when the 2 bigs are on the floor together. Maybe Sanogo will surprise at the 4.

Reaction Score
He's been our best player but this is just completely false. He came into the game when we were up 13-8 and came out of the game and we were up 18-15, so that's a -2 point swing during his time
Think he was referring to the Marquette game

Reaction Score
This is not another lets start two bigs post.

I honestly dont care who starts--weve been getting off in games just fine.

But to win games you have to play your best players and donovan is our best.

He cannot be left on an island to set screens 20 feet from the post--this has caused him to get cheap quick fouls

But what he does best is defend the rim and put high force at the basket on offense.
Other teams who scout us are ready to pounce on adama(of course not his fault) and adama still makes a ton of great plays.

But adama doesnt defend the rim on defense anywhere close to DC and we are in defensive crisis mode.

To ensure DC gets 27-32 min--we DO have to play 2 big at points. Were not good enough not to play our best player as much as he can go. We CAN be another level team again if we CAN get those minutes from DC--they guy makes the team that much better.
Best NBA prospect.

Donovan is going to be a beast next year. He needs just a bit better foot movement and a little more strength.

I think he can be an impact big in the nba. Unlike Drummond, he has better foto speed, offensive skills and more length and can defend.

caw

Reaction Score
Clingan is still a bit situational with his impact. The last game it against SJU I think Hurley may have taken him out a bit too early in the first after that double tech/flagrant/whatever.

I will say, I kind of hate the 1-3-1 if Jackson isn't up top and Clingan in the middle. Karaban tried hard at the top but he's not quick enough and Sanogo also isn't made for a 1-3-1.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Charlie Villanueva was a better Freshman talent than Josh Boone.
^ This gave rise to the following...
AWest:
^ This gave rise to the following...
Are you comparing A Sanogo to Caron?
He might have been.

But we only know for certain that he was confusing Charlie Villanueva with Caron Butler.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

This says it all

AWest:

I’ll let Hans handle this more diplomatically.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom