OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 284 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Luigi's, Testo's and Brewport all worth trying in Bpt/Ffld.
Brewport is a New Haven “BAR” clone and quite good.

Testos is gone. Apartments going up there with controversy.

Reaction Score

Testo's Pizza is where the old Three Corners was. That's what I was referring to. I don't think Testo's on Madison Ave(which you are referring to) even served pizza, did they?

Reaction Score
I mean any area with enough Italians is gonna have pizza. And that’s pretty much what you see along that belt, probably the highest concentration of Italians
I wouldn't say it's absolute. Buffalo has a huge Italian population. But the pizza they make is poots (to use an Italian term). Heck, the most well known pizza maker up here (La Nova) is "connected." Their pizza is... forgettable and I don't mean fagehttaboutit.

Only one place makes decent pizza up here (Jay's Artisan), and they are Polish, I believe.

Reaction Score
Frank Pepe’s in Warwick is pretty good pepband!

All kidding aside I’m not going to look back but I think I may have mentioned Uncle Tony’s in Warwick. It’s a chain but I buy for one my branches there on occasion and they choose UT’s. It’s a little thick but tasty. Sauce is solid, crust is as well and no one cooks those little curled pepperonis to perfection any better than them. Also Pasquale's at the South County Commons in Naragansett is a nice pie for the area.

Reaction Score
Frank Pepe’s in Warwick is pretty good pepband!

All kidding aside I’m not going to look back but I think I may have mentioned Uncle Tony’s in Warwick. It’s a chain but I buy for one my branches there on occasion and they choose UT’s. It’s a little thick but tasty. Sauce is solid, crust is as well and no one cooks those little curled pepperonis to perfection any better than them. Also Pasquale's at the South County Commons in Naragansett is a nice pie for the area.

Ever have Dave Marketplace flatbread pizza on the Warwick/ East Greenwich line? Not bad

Reaction Score
Went to Fuoco a couple hours ago. It was slammed. I ordered a large cheese and ate it on the hood of my car. The owner was going to his pickup truck and came over and talked to me. Super nice guy, I asked if he grew up making pizzas at one of the New Haven joints and he said no. He made pizzas his whole life but he learned making pan pizzas. I told him he's going to need a bigger place and he should open in Chicago. He said he isn't changing anything. The pizza is excellent and he's a great dude.

Reaction Score
Went to Sallys last w/e for take-out at noon. Driving thru on I-95 on way back to NJ, so only way to order take-out is o/l. - no phone ordering, and 1+ hour wait if in person. So managed to get cellphone to connect. Ordered, but received conflicting advice on whether it was successful.

Arrived to find they had no idea about me. "We have continuing issues w o/l order"! So I had to wait 1.5 hrs! Drove around Yale, etc. When I got the pizza, it tasted like cheep tomato paste. Ug.

Going to MOdern (or Pepe) from now on.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Went to Sallys last w/e for take-out at noon. Driving thru on I-95 on way back to NJ, so only way to order take-out is o/l. - no phone ordering, and 1+ hour wait if in person. So managed to get cellphone to connect. Ordered, but received conflicting advice on whether it was successful.

Arrived to find they had no idea about me. "We have continuing issues w o/l order"! So I had to wait 1.5 hrs! Drove around Yale, etc. When I got the pizza, it tasted like cheep tomato paste. Ug.

Going to MOdern (or Pepe) from now on.
I was seeing a client in Stamford this past Tuesday in a building next to Sally's. The Sysco truck was unloading their delivery, mostly "7/11" brand canned crushed tomatoes. At least we know Pepes sources from Italy.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I was seeing a client in Stamford this past Tuesday in a building next to Sally's. The Sysco truck was unloading their delivery, mostly "7/11" brand canned crushed tomatoes. At least we know Pepes sources from Italy.
You are correct. I have heard from multiple people in the industry that Sally's uses 7/11 ground tomatoes.

Stanislaus 7/11 ground tomatoes, Tomato Magic ground tomatoes, and Alta Cucina whole plum tomatoes are very common in pizza places. I use the 7/11 and Alta Cucina regularly at home.

Reaction Score
Bedia and Pizzata also make a good pie.
i had pizzata delivered and prefer it room temp, not impressed. my scale is room temperature

new haven never disappointed @ any temp

Reaction Score
I have zero issue with Stanislaus 7/11. I’m more concerned about the finished product. I’ve made it known here that the Stamford Sally’s has a QC issue. A great pie one day. A mediocre pie another day. My expectations have been tempered re the Stamford Pepe’s opening this fall. If I want apizza, I’d rather just drive to Roseland or Modern than buy what is largely a knockoff locally. I’ve mostly returned to local bar pie or NY style local institutions after the novelty of having Sally’s has worn off.

Reaction Score
It’s crazy how much New Haven style has spread in the last five to ten years. Totally random coincidences, the last two places I traveled both had New Haven style pizzerias. First I saw a place a few weeks ago in Palo Alto that was fully New Haven Style. And now I’m in Ireland if all places, and I find this place is making New Haven style pies in Belfast.

New Haven still gets blank stares for the most part, but the hard core pizza enthusiasts are definitely spreading the gospel of Frank Pepe further and further now.

Reaction Score
It’s crazy how much New Haven style has spread in the last five to ten years. Totally random coincidences, the last two places I traveled both had New Haven style pizzerias. First I saw a place a few weeks ago in Palo Alto that was fully New Haven Style. And now I’m in Ireland if all places, and I find this place is making New Haven style pies in Belfast.

New Haven still gets blank stares for the most part, but the hard core pizza enthusiasts are definitely spreading the gospel of Frank Pepe further and further now.
One of the best I’ve ever had was at Tony’s in SF.

Reaction Score

I hate to admit it, but most of Brewport's pies taste better than Bar's, as if they pay more attention to the pies they pump out more consistently. Bar's cheese pizza is still as good as any though.

Changing topics, I went to
Piece Brewery Chicago in Wicker Park back in 2017, and it was one of the better pizzas i've had outside of CT. I wouldn't rank it top 5 NH, but very good. Upon Googling, I just saw Portnow already reviewed it and gave it only 7.1 lol.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just came across this article about a new place in Brooklyn claiming to be the "only dedicated New Haven-style pizzeria in the city."

ADD: The owners "both agree Sally’s is the best and Modern Apizza has too many toppings."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just came across this article about a new place in Brooklyn claiming to be the "only dedicated New Haven-style pizzeria in the city."
Basic and URBN in SD (they’re owned by the same people) don’t advertise as such but they’re the only New Haven style spot I know of in the whole county. Kinda surprises me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Basic and URBN in SD (they’re owned by the same people) don’t advertise as such but they’re the only New Haven style spot I know of in the whole county. Kinda surprises me.
Went to the one across from Petco Park a number of years ago. It was very good, best I'd had in SoCal, but dough was on drier side, so the whole product was a bit stiffer than a Wooster St. pizza.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Italian reataraunts? No state better than RI. I’ll die on that hill. Pizza? Nope. And it’s mystifying

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom