OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 283 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
View attachment 88945
i believe this is correct, lot of haters though
CT NYC and Jersey obviously have excellent pizza.

I never knew Philly had good pizza. I can't imagine it's on the same level as the other 3 though because it's completely overshadowed by cheese steaks and italian roast pork sandwiches.

Reaction Score

I never knew Philly had good pizza. I can't imagine it's on the same level as the other 3 though because it's completely overshadowed by cheese steaks and italian roast pork sandwiches.
it’s not….getting better though

but angelo’s reminds me of a clean modern, beats pepe/sally’s easily

Reaction Score
20230613_223437.jpg

Reaction Score

Our company used to have a few meetings in our Fort Washington PA facility and they had pizza quite often for lunch. They considered it “Philly pie” and honestly, it was solid tasting and construction. Not New Haven, closer to NYC but kinda looked forward to it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It’s excellent for Little Rendezvous I’m happiest for them. It’s up there no doubt MOT sure 9 plus. If you’re from Meriden (or is it Meridian lol) this pie is the combo of the old Verdolinis and New Haven pies. Solid pizza great old oven.

Meriden has had plenty of great things happen over the years no doubt but too many youngsters in here to have a clue.

Verdolini's ? I miss that place. They used to make this great Pizza called "The Spooker". Do you remember that?

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
it’s not….getting better though

but angelo’s reminds me of a clean modern, beats pepe/sally’s easily
There is a place in West Chester, PA that comes somewhat close to New Haven called Pizza West Chester. Portnoy was there a couple of months ago and gave it a pretty good review. Only thing is they are open basically just for lunch and only make a certain amount of pies each day bc I think it’s only a 1 or 2 person operation. So if you get there after they make their 100-150 or whatever it is for the day, you’re S.O.L.

Reaction Score
Does Portnoy have a judging criteria that he's written down? Just curious.

Reaction Score
Does Portnoy have a judging criteria that he's written down? Just curious.

Written down, no. But he has loose guidelines.

9’s - Exceptional, Worth a long drive (think Michelin guide)
8’s - Very good, among best in the area/state
7’s - Good, solid neighborhood spot
6’s - Just ok
5’s and Below - Not good
0.08 - Jack’s Frozen Pizza

Reaction Score
I've been in CT since mid-May, primarily to choose among, offload, pack up, and move things from storage spaces to a Louisville apartment around the corner from my toddler granddaughter who is increasingly dancing, climbing, walking, talking, and showing serious hands against-the-glass partition rapport with gorillas at the Zoo's primate pavilion. As she strings the various behaviors together like building blocks, I can see that very soon she'll be assembling first-rate lobster rolls.

My hosts have been in Bridgeport & Westport and still I've worked pizza into my various functional travels to the north & east.

Ranked by order of enjoyment on this particular visit, I've been to:

Ernie's (outstanding pie and a warm farewell conversation with my former neighborhood's master baker Pat De Riso)
Roseland (complemented by a delicious recon slice from the Ansonia Zuppardi's takeout branch on my trip north to Southford to see my 8-monthn old great nephew)
Frisco's (my first full appraisal of a very worthwhile pie, chosen because it allowed me to bring lunch to a former classmate who now sells LPs and had a table at the New Haven Record Riot in the Annex neighborhood)
Modern (which was rescued from excessive initial flop when I got it into the oven upon arrival in Bridgeport)
Nauti Dolphin (surprisingly better than I'd recalled it over a decade ago, so that I can see why it has its fans even if I liked the ones from New Haven County more. My hosts ordered it)
Romanacci (which was good only for soaking up the alcohol in free-flowing complimentary wine at the Verso Records LP release party at the Westport Library)

I've got another few Days, and will try for another couple pizzas, again guided by where I'll be close to, doing something else nearby.
Luigi's, Testo's and Brewport all worth trying in Bpt/Ffld.

Reaction Score
Luigi's, Testo's and Brewport all worth trying in Bpt/Ffld.
Brewport is great. However, Bridgeport has been lacking in the pizza game otherwise. I like New Haven style the best and most spots in Bridgeport are too greasy with little to no char on the crust.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Brewport is great. However, Bridgeport has been lacking in the pizza game otherwise. I like New Haven style the best and most spots in Bridgeport are too greasy with little to no char on the crust.
Post/handle

Reaction Score
Adding to the Fuoco consensus, went last night. Just moved to Cheshire briefly after 7 years in SD. Planning on settling in somewhere around Hartford early next year if I don’t wind up in Boston. Can’t wait to start contributing to this thread

Fuoco was a solid 8/10. I was with people. Got the New Haven and another pie with half plain and half meatball/bacon/onion because it’s one of the guy’s favorites who was with us. I picked the New Haven. Very good minimalist stuff. Crust was appreciably less floppy. Almost felt like what I imagine St Louis style is like. Maybe it was because of how little cheese there was relative to more typical pizza

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I mean any area with enough Italians is gonna have pizza. And that’s pretty much what you see along that belt, probably the highest concentration of Italians

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom