OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 265 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Help me out here.... So I'm on r/pittsburgh, and someone posts this picture. And a guy who says he's from New Haven County insists this is a Greek pizza. I've never seen a Greek pizza in CT or MA that wasn't cut in squares. Am I wrong about that? (tbomk, we do not have Greek pizza out here).

View attachment 82875

View attachment 82874
Hope Street Pizza used to do the grid cut, but now cuts both ways, depending on what side of the bed they woke up on that day. Kind of strange.

My favorite Greek style in the area, Post Corner Pizza in Darien, only cuts triangular slices.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Has anyone tried the Sally’s Apizza Stamford location yet, and if so, how does it rate to the original in New Haven? Not as good I’m sure but is it somewhat comparable?

Reaction Score
Has anyone tried the Sally’s Apizza Stamford location yet, and if so, how does it rate to the original in New Haven? Not as good I’m sure but is it somewhat comparable?
I’m in Stamford and have visited about eight times. The output has been seriously uneven. I’ve had pies that were spectacularly close to the Wooster Street versions, solid pies were delicious but a step below the original, and one pie that had me wishing I’d stayed away from downtown and picked up from Mario the Baker or Belltown Pizzeria instead.

Reaction Score
Help me out here.... So I'm on r/pittsburgh, and someone posts this picture. And a guy who says he's from New Haven County insists this is a Greek pizza. I've never seen a Greek pizza in CT or MA that wasn't cut in squares. Am I wrong about that? (tbomk, we do not have Greek pizza out here).

View attachment 82875

View attachment 82874
Yorkside Pizza in New Haven would sell pizza like that. I was there to play Donkey Kong and Dugger in the basement.

Reaction Score
I've never seen Connecticut Greek pizza cut in squares, it's always slices. Just had some when I was back in CT, the Greek pizza in the pic is undercooked.
Used to be a place in Madison, Village Pizza, that cut it into squares. They had a fire that forced them to close, bringing Grand Apizza to town eventually and sparing the children of Madison from Greek pizza squares at birthday parties from then on.
1673380742096.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Used to be a place in Madison, Village Pizza, that cut it into squares. They had a fire that forced them to close, bringing Grand Apizza to town eventually and sparing the children of Madison from Greek pizza squares at birthday parties from then on.
View attachment 82879

That looks a lot like what Paul's Pizza in Vernon used to look like.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I went back in July. It's not an "old school" pizza experience. You order on a flat screen, there's no real pizza smell to the place, it's a modern industrial space, and the pizza, while better than your average mom & pop, didn't shine like the original. Bit of a let down, IMO.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hope Street Pizza used to do the grid cut, but now cuts both ways, depending on what side of the bed they woke up on that day. Kind of strange.

My favorite Greek style in the area, Post Corner Pizza in Darien, only cuts triangular slices.
Interesting. I didn't think a wedge cut could support the weight. I haven't been to Hope St in about a decade, and Post Corner for probably 30 years, but IIRC both did exclusively square cuts back in the day, at least on large pizzas (I was always with a group).

Reaction Score
View attachment 82879
I need to go to Captain's or Beverly for lunch tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I didn't think a wedge cut could support the weight. I haven't been to Hope St in about a decade, and Post Corner for probably 30 years, but IIRC both did exclusively square cuts back in the day, at least on large pizzas (I was always with a group).
It doesn’t! Even on a small with broccoli and olives at Post Corner, I have to tilt the slice back towards my wrist. Otherwise, everything (including the cheese) slides off!

Reaction Score
No but I had it from their Fairfield location a couple weeks ago and it was subpar. I would not waste my pizza night on it again.

Reaction Score
No but I had it from their Fairfield location a couple weeks ago and it was subpar. I would not waste my pizza night on it again.
I did too, and felt the same way. It was take out, so I will give it another shot for sit down.

Reaction Score
I’ve been critical of Pepe’s for the past ten years compared to Modern, Sally’s or Zuppardis but I have to admit, a few weeks ago I stopped at the Danbury Pepe’s on my way home from work and picked up a large sausage and mushroom put it in my $90 pizza warmer bag and drove home to Kent. Pulled into the garage, my wife had the table set and we had a great pizza. Reminded me of the Pepe’s of 30 years ago. Lately, someone’s doing something right at the Danbury location, we had had a terrible pie from that location a couple years ago.
I actually admire you for spending the money on a warming bag by IMO the pizza is going to steam regardless. I rarely get takeout pizza anymore - preferring to go to whichever place and dine-in instead. That being said, the BEST way to enjoy take out pizza is to actually prop the box open for your ride home so the steam escapes. Have someone at your house preheat the oven to 450 and when you get home, throw a few slices at a time on a well used cookie sheet or baking tray for just a few minutes. It gets nice and hot and remains as crispy as when it first came out of the oven at the pizzeria!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Pepe's Fairfield stopped cutting their pizza in the Pepe's style a while back, they now cut it more traditionally, you have to ask for it cut "family style" if you want it the old-school Pepe's style (I do, and I get my go-to pies uncut)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I actually admire you for spending the money on a warming bag by IMO the pizza is going to steam regardless. I rarely get takeout pizza anymore - preferring to go to whichever place and dine-in instead. That being said, the BEST way to enjoy take out pizza is to actually prop the box open for your ride home so the steam escapes. Have someone at your house preheat the oven to 450 and when you get home, throw a few slices at a time on a well used cookie sheet or baking tray for just a few minutes. It gets nice and hot and remains as crispy as when it first came out of the oven at the pizzeria!

Air fryer is the way to go to get the crispness on bottom of crust.
Second best way is a hot cast iron skillet with a drop of oil.

Reaction Score
Actually it’s a rigid heated warming bag (plugs into the cigarette lighter) heats from the bottom and lets the steam escape through a small mesh in the top. It’s amazing what $90 will get you nowadays. Thanks for the admiration.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Air fryer is the way to go to get the crispness on bottom of crust.
Second best way is a hot cast iron skillet with a drop of oil.
Science appears to argue for oven reheating (covered with foil) or cast iron skillet with drops of water (not oil) and a lid. YMMV.

I find the oven thing too time consuming and wasteful of foil, but it works. I'm a convert to the cast iron plus water & lid method.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Science appears to argue for oven reheating (covered with foil) or cast iron skillet with drops of water (not oil) and a lid. YMMV.

I find the oven thing too time consuming and wasteful of foil, but it works. I'm a convert to the cast iron plus water & lid method.

To each their own and I realize there is a ton of variance in appliance quality and cooking ware.

The linked article said it was recommended to put temp to 320 degrees and cook for 3-4 minutes. I go around 375 and go 1-2 minutes. Crust is always crispy and toppings are hot and melted. No complaints from me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom