OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 217 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
RIP to Harry's Pizza in West Hartford, Hopefully that place was somewhere in the previous 216 pages.

The Assisi (Shredded mozzarella, cilantro, basil, feta, diced tomato, light jalapeño and fresh squeezed lemon and asiago) was a great pie. I'm not up around West Hartford often, but I would always bring one back after Christmas shopping up there.

Reaction Score
They do Cheese on bottom at many new york places, on grandma pies and Sicilian style. for Example the "spicy Spring" sicilian slice at Prince street Pizza has cheese on bottom.

Any thicker crust style like the aforementioned Chicago deep dish, NY Sicilians, Detroit style all have many examples of Cheese on bottom. This is for structural considerations, as sauce on bottom of a thick crust can make it soggy during baking. The layer of cheese on the bottom acts as a buffer
Also, the South Jersey “tomato pies” are sauce on top. Aside from the backwards construction, these pies come the closest to New Haven apizza for me in terms of bake and flavor. Strongly suggest stops at DeLorenzo’s and Pappa’s. Both in Robbinsville.

Reaction Score
RIP to Harry's Pizza in West Hartford, Hopefully that place was somewhere in the previous 216 pages.

The Assisi (Shredded mozzarella, cilantro, basil, feta, diced tomato, light jalapeño and fresh squeezed lemon and asiago) was a great pie. I'm not up around West Hartford often, but I would always bring one back after Christmas shopping up there.
They never should have moved from Farmington Ave. Kept trying to change to compete with Blue Back and lost their way. Harry's Pizza Bishops Corner still rocks it.

Reaction Score
They never should have moved from Farmington Ave. Kept trying to change to compete with Blue Back and lost their way. Harry's Pizza Bishops Corner still rocks it.

Haven't been to W Hartford in a while. Are there two Harry's now and just the Blue Black location is closing?

Reaction Score
Haven't been to W Hartford in a while. Are there two Harry's now and just the Blue Black location is closing?
The original Harry's was on Farmington Ave. They moved a couple times and changed menu to compete with area but it didn't work out well for them. That Harry's also had a place in Glastonbury. Harry's Bishops Corner was started by Harry and bought buy 2 employees in 2007 when Harry retired. They have stayed true to the original menu with some additions. I go there quite frequently and find it to be the best pizza in the area,

Reaction Score
For me it us:

Harry's Bishops Corner Pizza
732 North Main Street, West Hartford CT 06117

Delicious thin pizzas.
They believe in using local ingredients whenever possible and featuring local agriculture and products. Their sausage is locally made. Everything blends beautifully together.

Reaction Score
Had a working lunch with my intern at Latizia’s in Norwalk today. Always order it with a well-done bake. They never disappoint. Might be the most consistent non-specialty pie in lower Fairfield County.

Reaction Score
Had a working lunch with my intern at Latizia’s in Norwalk today. Always order it with a well-done bake. They never disappoint. Might be the most consistent non-specialty pie in lower Fairfield County.

I live up the street - fantastic pizza. If you’re looking for non brick oven pizza, at a good price, this might be the best option in the state. Full disclosure, I prefer new haven style brick oven pizza, but aside from that, Latizias is one of the best options around.

Reaction Score
For me it us:

Harry's Bishops Corner Pizza
732 North Main Street, West Hartford CT 06117

Delicious thin pizzas.
They believe in using local ingredients whenever possible and featuring local agriculture and products. Their sausage is locally made. Everything blends beautifully together.

Their bacon, pepperoni and sausage pie is their best.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Some more progress in Stamford

Sally's Apizza

Sally's Apizza 3 days ago

The Sally’s Apizza team is growing. Join our pizza-obsessed crew today. Come meet us at our next hiring event Monday, July 19 2PM – 7PM, 66 Summer Street, Suite 103, Stamford, CT, or join the team here: Careers | Sally's Apizza | Italian Restaurant in New Haven, CT

1626456456642.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They do Cheese on bottom at many new york places, on grandma pies and Sicilian style. for Example the "spicy Spring" sicilian slice at Prince street Pizza has cheese on bottom.

Any thicker crust style like the aforementioned Chicago deep dish, NY Sicilians, Detroit style all have many examples of Cheese on bottom. This is for structural considerations, as sauce on bottom of a thick crust can make it soggy during baking. The layer of cheese on the bottom acts as a buffer
Also, the South Jersey “tomato pies” are sauce on top. Aside from the backwards construction, these pies come the closest to New Haven apizza for me in terms of bake and flavor. Strongly suggest stops at DeLorenzo’s and Pappa’s. Both in Robbinsville.

So, the Sicilian pies I would get in eastern Pennsylvania had the crust, then sauce and then a light sprinkling of parmesan on top. No mozz.
Older Italians loved getting the anchovies on top of those pies.

Reaction Score

->Sally’s is currently in development for a site in Wethersfield, with others potentially following, said marketing director Krystina Nataloni in an email Thursday.<-

->Nataloni didn’t provide an address in Wethersfield, but Peter Gillespie, the town’s director of planning and economic development, confirmed a permit had been filed for the project at 1178 Silas Deane Highway, the site of The Borden, a luxury apartment building. The Borden opened in town in September 2020.<-

Reaction Score

->Sally’s is currently in development for a site in Wethersfield, with others potentially following, said marketing director Krystina Nataloni in an email Thursday.<-

->Nataloni didn’t provide an address in Wethersfield, but Peter Gillespie, the town’s director of planning and economic development, confirmed a permit had been filed for the project at 1178 Silas Deane Highway, the site of The Borden, a luxury apartment building. The Borden opened in town in September 2020.<-

Well that’s good news but I hope the quality is as good as New Haven. The quality at the other Pepe’s locations is definitely uneven.

Reaction Score
My pizza loving son and his friends drove down to New Haven today from Massachusetts to try pizzas from the New Haven triumvirate. We've had some of the most famous pizzas from around the country since that is his first request anytime we travel. His ranking is as follows:

1. Sally's - Said it was the best pizza he's ever had. And as I said, we've had the best from many places around the country including the best in Brooklyn, which has many great pizza places. Everything was perfect. He liked that the pizza crust had a crispness and a chewiness. Sauce was great with the right amount and same with the cheese. Said trying Sally's was worth the 2 hour drive there.

2. Modern - Good crisp, great taste but a little greasy and floppy.

3. Pepe's - Really good but he was somewhat disappointed. He said it wasn't any better than the ones we've had from the Manchester and Chestnut Hill, MA Pepe's. He was hoping the original would have been much better.

Now if only we had anything close to any of the 3 near our house. :(

Reaction Score
My pizza loving son and his friends drove down to New Haven today from Massachusetts to try pizzas from the New Haven triumvirate. We've had some of the most famous pizzas from around the country since that is his first request anytime we travel. His ranking is as follows:

1. Sally's - Said it was the best pizza he's ever had. And as I said, we've had the best from many places around the country including the best in Brooklyn, which has many great pizza places. Everything was perfect. He liked that the pizza crust had a crispness and a chewiness. Sauce was great with the right amount and same with the cheese. Said trying Sally's was worth the 2 hour drive there.

2. Modern - Good crisp, great taste but a little greasy and floppy.

3. Pepe's - Really good but he was somewhat disappointed. He said it wasn't any better than the ones we've had from the Manchester and Chestnut Hill, MA Pepe's. He was hoping the original would have been much better.

Now if only we had anything close to any of the 3 near our house. :(

Been to the West Hartford Pepe's recently, it was good, but not the original. Haven't made it down to New Haven in a while. Maybe I'll stop when we eventually make our way to the dreaded Ikea for furniture. Did go to Naples in Farmington recently, it was good, but pricey (even more so than Pepe's). Been told to try George's (Unionville) and Mama Luke's. Also need to re-visit Harry's Bishop Corner one day. Have been driving around West Hartford a lot lately and forgot how many restaurants there are in town.

Reaction Score
Been to the West Hartford Pepe's recently, it was good, but not the original. Haven't made it down to New Haven in a while. Maybe I'll stop when we eventually make our way to the dreaded Ikea for furniture. Did go to Naples in Farmington recently, it was good, but pricey (even more so than Pepe's). Been told to try George's (Unionville) and Mama Luke's. Also need to re-visit Harry's Bishop Corner one day. Have been driving around West Hartford a lot lately and forgot how many restaurants there are in town.
I prefer Naples strongly to Mama Luke’s and George’s. It’s my favorite place in the area. I haven’t been to Mama Luke’s as much recently, and although some of their pizzas were great, they were less consistent than Naples. They’re certainly not bad. I wouldn’t put George’s in the same class, but if you want thicker crust it’s one of the better options in the Farmington area.

Reaction Score
Stopped by big y after work hungrier than a rabid coyote looking for anything to shove down my piehole,saw a poster of a pizza and ordered one.after 45 min went to my car woofed down a couple of slices ,very disappointed,waste of money ugh!never again

Reaction Score
Hit a pizza truck on West Town St in Norwich today called Brick and Basil. Sells personal pizzas and even half pizzas at lunch. Very impressed.
The Yorktown Heights area in Westchester County NY has a pizza truck called Pizza Luca. It is awesome, on par with the best New Haven can offer. It’s a gigantic truck with a built in wood fired brick pizza oven.

Reaction Score
I prefer Naples strongly to Mama Luke’s and George’s. It’s my favorite place in the area. I haven’t been to Mama Luke’s as much recently, and although some of their pizzas were great, they were less consistent than Naples. They’re certainly not bad. I wouldn’t put George’s in the same class, but if you want thicker crust it’s one of the better options in the Farmington area.
Naples is damn good, especially for Hartford county.

Reaction Score
Don’t know if it’s been posted on here but Cast Iron in Milford is great. Pizzas are small and made in cast iron pans. Same guy who runs the cast iron streak house in New Haven.

Reaction Score
Hit a pizza truck on West Town St in Norwich today called Brick and Basil. Sells personal pizzas and even half pizzas at lunch. Very impressed.

Yeah good call. It’s been impressing my wife and I on Sundays with their amount of customers on the way home from RI for a few years. We finally stopped last year and tried it and agree, very impressive little pies. Good flavor, sauce and crust. Every couple weeks grab one for the ride Home definitely recommend it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
With zero apologies to those who eschew fruit on pizza, this special from Bufalina last night was f-amazing. Every. Single. Slice.

Pizza Special

Bishop’s Orchard Peach Pizza

asiago cheese & crispy prosciutto ~$16

Yes I ate the entire thing myself; the last two slices may have been to spite my family, which deserted me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom