OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 50 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
I grew up in New Haven and I prefer BAR pizza to the big three. BUT Bufalina in Guilford is by far the best pizza I've ever eaten. Did I mention I grew up eating lots of pizza in New Haven?

Reaction Score
This is my go to thread after losing out on a recruit like Gabriel. We never lose to Kentucky here. Btw pretty sure Modern added that American cheese pie for visitors from Kentucky since they probably don't know what mozzarella is.

When it comes to peddling oil-slick stories, we do lose quite often to Kentucky. When it comes to basketball, we rarely lose to Kentucky. When it comes to pizza, we never lose to Kentucky. When it comes to horse dung, mint juleps and kissing cousins, we forfeit.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I grew up in New Haven and I prefer BAR pizza to the big three. BUT Bufalina in Guilford is by far the best pizza I've ever eaten. Did I mention I grew up eating lots of pizza in New Haven?
I think BAR is worthy enough that I've considered it the big four instead of the big three since they came on the scene. I love the mashed potato and bacon, and I love the salad, and all the standards are great, too; but I think their crust is actually a touch too thin.

And I am with you on Bufalina as my comments much earlier in this thread attest. I debated working it into my response to @Huskybass but I decided that it's a little too different from "Traditional Apizza" to be considered as among Modern, Pepe's, etc. It uses a lot of traditional ingredients and obviously traditional method, but for most people it's probably more artisan pie, along with the likes of Otto in Chester (also excellent) and Krust in Middletown (very good, but way too hipster). I do love everything about Bufalina though--especially including the owners, who are great, genuine, down to Earth, hard working and gracious people.

Reaction Score
For me Pepe's is one of those rare historic tourist traps that always lives up to the legacy. Only talking about the original in New Haven, every time I've gone it has been outstanding. Sally's was always pretty great as well but haven't been there in years. Modern is very good but a step below as is BAR which is very similar to Piece out here in Chicago.

Reaction Score
I am sitting at Naples Pizza in Farmington right now. Very good. Among the better ones outside of New Haven.

Funny Pepe's story. My girlfriend grew up in VT and has lived in FL, TX and the Berkshires . She now lives in Storrs. I brought her to Pepe's in New Haven and it took her one bite to realize that she had never really had a great pizza before.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I am sitting at Naples Pizza in Farmington right now. Very good. Among the better ones outside of New Haven.

Funny Pepe's story. My girlfriend grew up in VT and has lived in FL, TX and the Berkshires . She now lives in Storrs. I brought her to Pepe's in New Haven and it took her one bite to realize that she had never really had a great pizza before.
just don't give her any CT Brisket, she may run back to Texas. Keep her on the ahbeetz.

Reaction Score

eggplant fries ftw from there. love that spot, but not for paninis or anything. strictly pies and the fries

Reaction Score
Pepe's was almost a 2 hour wait for takeout so decided to order from Sally's last night as I havent had their pie in a few months. It was probably the best I have had from Sally's in the past 3 years, my gf called it the best pie she has ever had (she likes her pies more on the well done side). I usually just go to modern recently, mainly because the gf always wants eggplant and Pepe's and Sally's dont offer eggplant.

I usually eat either Modern, Pepe's, Sally's at least twice a month. I'd rather drive 15 minutes then get something local. Even though Marco's and Pacileo's arent bad.

Going to have to make another trip to Bufalina soon. Haven't been there in a while since its nearly impossible to get a reservation.

Reaction Score

I do not get the hype on Pepe's. Their standard thin crust pizza is burn't and tastes like it. Naples in Farmington can be great at times. I notice that a lot of places skimp on toppings these days to save money even though the markup on pizza is insane.

Reaction Score
I do not get the hype on Pepe's. Their standard thin crust pizza is burn't and tastes like it. Naples in Farmington can be great at times. I notice that a lot of places skimp on toppings these days to save money even though the markup on pizza is insane.
To me that's how pizza is supposed to be, pretty much wherever I go for pizza I ask them well done and my local spot I just tell the girl to burn it and she knows just how I like it.

Reaction Score
Pepe's was almost a 2 hour wait for takeout so decided to order from Sally's last night as I havent had their pie in a few months. It was probably the best I have had from Sally's in the past 3 years, my gf called it the best pie she has ever had (she likes her pies more on the well done side). I usually just go to modern recently, mainly because the gf always wants eggplant and Pepe's and Sally's dont offer eggplant.

I usually eat either Modern, Pepe's, Sally's at least twice a month. I'd rather drive 15 minutes then get something local. Even though Marco's and Pacileo's arent bad.

Going to have to make another trip to Bufalina soon. Haven't been there in a while since its nearly impossible to get a reservation.
Best pizza ever, that's saying something because most pizzas don't travel all that well. I hear the eggplant pie at Modern is legit. Any word on what's happening with Sally's? I heard it was on the market because none of the children wanted to carry on the tradition. Also heard they will only sell it to someone that will keep it the same and that they can train.

Reaction Score
To me that's how pizza is supposed to be, pretty much wherever I go for pizza I ask them well done and my local spot I just tell the girl to burn it and she knows just how I like it.

Bingo sj. Up here in WesMass where dough is king on most pizza I have a couple places which know I want my pizza's "thin and very well done" so I can get the somewhat burnt effect. I mean you might as well just get a fried dough if you don't have it thin.

Reaction Score
Totally, so many places hardly cook the pizza, it comes out limp and the cheese is still white. If the cheese and crust isn't bubbling it's no good, need some carmelization. Mau, I could eat pizza and get wasted with you anytime.

Reaction Score
Totally, so many places hardly cook the pizza, it comes out limp and the cheese is still white. If the cheese and crust isn't bubbling it's no good, need some carmelization. Mau, I could eat pizza and get wasted with you anytime.

Then pizza, drink and a UConn game may need to happen! :D Should we start a "Best Pizza/Sports Bars with good TV's" now?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
dumb question... I've never gotten take out at Pepe's or Modern; I've only eaten there and dealt w/ the wait as part of the experience. Is the take-out wait long? My wife will be going to the in-laws soon and the thought of swinging down and grabbing a road pizza is sounding better and better.

Reaction Score
dumb question... I've never gotten take out at Pepe's or Modern; I've only eaten there and dealt w/ the wait as part of the experience. Is the take-out wait long? My wife will be going to the in-laws soon and the thought of swinging down and grabbing a road pizza is sounding better and better.

I travel all the time and occasionally will pu Modern on my way back north and if you call ahead it's never that big of an issue but again, usually earlier than the crazy dinner time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Modern is literally always 20 minutes.

And in this instance I mean literally, and I am not using 20 minutes in the Boneyard sense of the phrase.

Pepe's is looooong.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Never did take-out from there but I've had good luck at Pepe's avoiding the busiest times

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's not burnt. It's charred. It's a characteristic of the style.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Never did take-out from there but I've had good luck at Pepe's avoiding the busiest times
I've probably mentioned before that I frequently drive up Wooster Street leaving New Haven to get on the 95N ramp there. Tonight was the first time I can recall in almost 20 years that there was a line at Sally's (three people) and none at Pepe's.

Reaction Score

Any time I go to IKEA or take the train out of New Haven, I will call in an order to Modern. By the time I get my car and head over, park and saunter in, my pie is ready. I then eat half of it on 91N and usually spill sauce and oil all over the front of my shirt.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I usually just go to modern recently, mainly because the gf always wants eggplant and Pepe's and Sally's dont offer eggplant.

I hear the eggplant pie at Modern is legit.
Red pie with eggplant and artichoke hearts (light mozz, well done) has been a staple for us at Modern for more than 20 years. 99% of the time our order includes that pie.

Less frequently, but another fave there is a red pie with meatball and fresh sliced tomato.

White clam with bacon and/or red pie with pepperoni usually round out the order.

Reaction Score
Green onion in little "ol" Lisbon ct. Nothing fancy just damm good. Same goes for the grinders. Subway is just down the road and I never go there when you've got a good and authentic Greek pizza joint why would you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom