OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 308 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
@BigErnMcCracken and @businesslawyer always write their posts on here in well written complete sentences. So there are at least 2. :)
I may not be a good example for anything, being old, but that is a correct statement. I won’t send a text from my phone if it’s more than three words, and I would never make a Boneyard post from my phone. If I am typing anything I’m using a full keyboard to respond, and I treat it like it was a work email or — God forbid - a letter. And if young people don’t know what a letter is, google it.

Reaction Score
Something very dissonant about Hans living in Kentucky. Never would have guessed

Reaction Score
I ate 4 pies from 2 takeouts from Sally's, which I'd resisted for a while, because I expected to be disappointed. They were fine. The most recent was an early November Garden Special that was so good that I never left the parking lot, but instead watched a WBB game on my phone later on the same day that the MBB team beat Indiana.

People complained when Sally's was run like a private club that played obvious favorites in the past, and now they complain when it's run like a business. Both complaints have enough merit to be made, but that's not the whole story.
I’ve had a decent amount of pizza recently from both the Fairfield Pepe’s and Sally’s and am surprised when I hear anyone call them bad. Are they as good as New Haven? No, but they’ve been consistently very good pizzas in my experience. I gave several months after opening before I went to either because the combination of a new location and the huge volume they pump out at the beginning is not a good combo.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I won’t send a text from my phone if it’s more than three words, and I would never make a Boneyard post from my phone.
I'm ~95% tapping on a phone, with peripheral neuropathy-affected fingers and varying degrees of competence, patience, and tolerance for errors...and still I give a about Oxford commas to complement my ability to laugh about myself in the face of so much imperfection.

The cascading micro-indignities of aging require & have resulted in a greater sense of perspective - levity. As long as I can laugh at myself, it's mostly okay. As @HooperScooper surmised, I'm retired. That helps. A lot.
Something very dissonant about Hans living in Kentucky. Never would have guessed
Other than the, "Yeah, me neither," part, there are quite valid, "Louisville and Kentucky are two different places" arguments to be made. Plus...

If I didn't commit to honoring parental preferences to keep child images off social media, I'd be posting here last Friday's triumph of compounded multiple sensori-motor skills that resulted in a toddler sporting a Dan Hurley-like backwards UCONN baseball cap and round-lens, tortoise shell-patterned eyeglass frames.

In a steady, fluid sequence, she climbed up my leg & into my lap; grabbed my hat and positioned it perfectly on her first try (having only ever seen me wearing it brim-forward; smoothly removed my glasses and with comparable confidence placed them right-side-up directly on the bridge of a button nose also on the first try; and then quickly climbed back down to the floor in order to scoot into the kitchen to proudly show Nana & Mommy the look she had ideated, pursued, and created.

Mere days and weeks prior, the climbing, and snatching & donning of another's clothing were separate behaviors that required fine-tuning via trial & error reps that led to success.

The consolidated learning that is unfolding before my eyes on (currently) a daily basis is a marvel like no other.

Last edited:

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
WOW this CT Pizza thread is sacred to the Boneyard, I going to block all the childish losers who have decided to desecrate it with their infighting and c*ckblocking. Now I know why August West has left the board . . .

Reaction Score
According to the Boston Globe, Sally's in MA is catching on.
Saw that article earlier today. That's not what I encountered this past Saturday. I made a 7:30 reservation for Saturday last Wednesday. When we walked in there was 1 party in front of us looking for a table. No line. When we sat down there were 4-5 empty tables that were empty the entire time we were there. Maybe the newness is wearing off already.

Alternate access:

The toughest seat in town? It’s at a Woburn pizzeria

Reaction Score
WOW this CT Pizza thread is sacred to the Boneyard, I going to block all the childish losers who have decided to desecrate it with their infighting and c*ckblocking. Now I know why August West has left the board . . .
Man this post sure made this thread better

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Took my son to the DePaul game last night and we hit up Blaze before tip off.

It's not bad for what it is, which is something between fast food and fast casual, in the Moe's/Chipotle niche. I had sausage, mushrooms, and fresh mozz over regular shredded mozz, their spicy sauce, and extra oregano. My son had meatball.

Other than skimping on the toppings, it's better expected, given some of the earlier posts in this thread.

Reaction Score

It's not bad for what it is, which is something between fast food and fast casual, in the Moe's/Chipotle niche. I had sausage, mushrooms, and fresh mozz over regular shredded mozz, their spicy sauce, and extra oregano. My son had meatball.

Other than skimping on the toppings, it's better expected, given some of the earlier posts in this thread.
Anyone been to Pizza Mikes on 195 just off campus? I was planning on maybe trying it when I go to the Creighton game

By the way I went to Willi pizza last time I went to a Gampel game this year and man it was not good. Not at all like I remember from college lol

Reaction Score
Anyone been to Pizza Mikes on 195 just off campus? I was planning on maybe trying it when I go to the Creighton game

By the way I went to Willi pizza last time I went to a Gampel game this year and man it was not good. Not at all like I remember from college lol
I've been to Pizza Mike's. It is tasty, but will remind you of pizza you got in Junior High or High School. Good, but certainly not great.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

That's all we need,....

Casual pizza fans.

Reaction Score
Saw that article earlier today. That's not what I encountered this past Saturday. I made a 7:30 reservation for Saturday last Wednesday. When we walked in there was 1 party in front of us looking for a table. No line. When we sat down there were 4-5 empty tables that were empty the entire time we were there. Maybe the newness is wearing off already.

Alternate access:

The toughest seat in town? It’s at a Woburn pizzeria

I've heard from a friend in the area (grew up in West Haven) say the general word is that people there don't like "burned" pizza.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
... will remind you of pizza you got in Junior High or High School. Good, but certainly not great.
Never thought I'd see these words in such proximity, even if I did cherrypick the portion excerpted.

Then again, I've retained a fondness for the conveyor belt pizza oven product that emerges at (Arthur's) Famous Pizza down by the University of Bridgeport, and isn't that how Pizza Hut or Dominoes or both do (or did) cook their pizzas?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why people say Sally's is inconsistent. We're 3 for 3 on our last few tries. 0-2 at Pepe's and I'll never go back to the Spot.

Was at Sally's 2 weeks ago and I saw the main pizzamaker there working it. I've seen that guy in there for decades now. They may have changed ownership but the same old pizzamaker is still there. I wonder if he only works half a week or something since he's getting up in age (has to be 60 by now!). Maybe the quality goes down when he's not around.

Reaction Score
I’ve had a decent amount of pizza recently from both the Fairfield Pepe’s and Sally’s and am surprised when I hear anyone call them bad. Are they as good as New Haven? No, but they’ve been consistently very good pizzas in my experience. I gave several months after opening before I went to either because the combination of a new location and the huge volume they pump out at the beginning is not a good combo.
I have had Pepe's many times and Sallys in Fairfield two weeks ago. The Sallys' pie was fantastic. The only problem was the Sally's pie was twice as expensive as Pepe's.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Never thought I'd see these words in such proximity, even if I did cherrypick the portion excerpted.

Then again, I've retained a fondness for the conveyor belt pizza oven product that emerges at (Arthur's) Famous Pizza down by the University of Bridgeport, and isn't that how Pizza Hut or Dominoes or both do (or did) cook their pizzas?
There has never been a good pizza baked in a conveyor oven.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There has never been a good pizza baked in a conveyor oven.
I chose my words carefully when I wrote, "...have retained a fondness."

My first visit had me sitting at a counter (not the bar) watching the entire process laid out in front of me. It was fascinating in the same way my elementary school field trip to the Wonder Bread factory was.

The pizza itself was most recently a 'taste of memory' experience 2 years ago after I finished a night of volunteering in the WPKN record library during the station's relocation for the UB student union to Fairfield Avenue downtown.

Reaction Score
Pepe’s in Warwick RI is more expensive than the other locations in CT. But the RI people love it, I buy for my customer service team in our Warwick branch once a quarter at least. They can’t believe how good it is compared to Uncle Tony’s pizza.

Reaction Score
They’re definitely trying to squeeze more profit out but I guarantee you their labor costs have skyrocketed, like everyone else.
Labor, rent, utilities, taxes, and unemployment taxes definitely have.

Reaction Score
Pepe’s in Warwick RI is more expensive than the other locations in CT.
Than New Haven or the other locations in CT? I found that hard to believe (I mean we're talking Warwick, RI here!) so I checked it out online and the prices in Warwick for 3 different pizzas that I spot checked are the same as the suburban locations in CT and MA. Looks like the same in New Haven also.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom